New pc build, no post

Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Re: New pc build, no post

Post by Jobbo »

GG, I assume you've moved to Win10 from Windows 7? Not from MacOS?

It's really not difficult to get used to. I have Win10 on my laptop at home and Win7 Pro at work and can't really even tell the difference.
GG.

Post by GG. »

Correct. Now at the end of day 1 I'm used to it - fiddling with some of the personalisation options helps (which were supposed to have been preserved from my previous profile, but weren't).

As mentioned, they've made the search function in Outlook worse which is not ideal given I receive so many emails I don't have time to file them & so rely on the search function a lot. Having double sized icons for attachments is also pain in the arse if you deal with large numbers of them on a regular basis. I'm sure it will annoy you when you move to Windows 10 at work, but that said you'll probably be more prepared for it having used it at home (though do you use outlook at home or just in-browser email such as gmail?).

My initial gripe was prompted by logging in and having Outlook crash on me pretty much immediately when I tried to accept a calendar invite :lol: . It has got better as the day has gone on!
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

I use Gmail in a browser at home, so maybe I’ve not tried the updated Outlook - but isn’t that an Office thing rather than Windows anyway?

I file my emails but search works across sub-folders currently. Will miss that if it changes.
GG.

Post by GG. »

Don't think you can retain the old Outlook within Windows 10 but I'm sure someone will correct me if that's wrong.

You can select to search either the folder you are in or across all sub-folders, as before - you just can't use the down key, after you've typed what you want to search, to scroll through the various refinements to which field you want it to search (i.e. to, from, subject). You now have to tick a selection to set up additional search boxes for each field. These appear when you click in the search box (and are then immediately obscured by the drop down list of previous searches which you have to click away from to get rid). It's stupid.
Simon

Post by Simon »

Anyway, back to the original post. Harry, did you get some more RAM?
The artist formerly known as _Who_
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

Ram bought this evening, tested, pc built back up and running nicely.

I am a dunce.

In many years of buying bits of ram as and when required for various systems this is the first mistake :oops:

As to why not just go buy one?

It may come as no surprise that I quite like tinkering with things, I like knowing how they work so I can upgrade in future.

I had a look around and I would have to spend considerably more ( like twice as much ) to buy an off the shelf pc of similar spec. As it is I've screwed a new motherboard, cpu and memory into my existing case with my existing drives with existing files and programs, and have a computer that's my old one but a lot quicker and will hopefully last another 10 years...
Cheers, Harry
Simon

Post by Simon »

Cool, glad you got a 'happy ending' so to speak.

Did you manage to swap the ECC stuff? Or was that something you already had?
The artist formerly known as _Who_
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

Not yet, will see if the seller will accept a return, if not then I'll see if I can flog it on and minimise my losses.
Cheers, Harry
Richard

Post by Richard »

Should have just bought a Xeon chip to take advantage of that always mega useful error correction..