Pc games - what have I missed ( last ten years or so... )

integrale_evo

Re: Pc games - what have I missed ( last ten years or so... )

Post by integrale_evo »

I think that's probably why I've been put off pc games for so long, I've tried several times, on our 486, on my slot1 I built in 1998, on my core 2 system I built around 10 years ago. It's only now with windows ten and being able to stick a completely different motherboard and processor in and the OS not even blink, and just be able to install a game and run it with minimal faff that I've decided to start dabbling again.
Cheers, Harry
Ascender
Currently Driving: 2019 M2 Competition

Post by Ascender »

I've just installed Steam on a new laptop, so what's good?

I've never played a Civilisation game, so Civ V has been bought already.
Cheers,

Mike.
ShockDiamonds

Post by ShockDiamonds »

Another vote here for VR if you can afford it. AC with a Rift is pretty good, although FH4 when released may result in the Rift not getting used for a while.
Richard

Post by Richard »

SKYRIM
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

Downloaded the forza 7 demo ( 24gb ) and assumed buying the full game would just unlock it.

Nope, currently 25gb into a 98gb download. Going to take about three days :lol:

Runs really nicely, plays like the other forzas which I loved, and looks superb.

Wasn't that impressed by the Porsche around Dubai demo, but the gtr through the storm at the Nurburgring gp track was jaw dropping.
Cheers, Harry
Zonda_

Post by Zonda_ »

integrale_evo wrote: Wed Aug 29, 2018 9:28 am Downloaded the forza 7 demo ( 24gb ) and assumed buying the full game would just unlock it.

Runs really nicely, plays like the other forzas which I loved, and looks superb.

Wasn't that impressed by the Porsche around Dubai demo, but the gtr through the storm at the Nurburgring gp track was jaw dropping.
I remember when demos came taped to the front of magazines on 1.44 floppies that has a 50/50 change of actually working!
Beany

Post by Beany »

Zonda_ wrote: Wed Aug 29, 2018 1:14 pm
integrale_evo wrote: Wed Aug 29, 2018 9:28 am Downloaded the forza 7 demo ( 24gb ) and assumed buying the full game would just unlock it.

I remember when demos came taped to the front of magazines on 1.44 floppies that has a 50/50 change of actually working!
Floppies? You had it easy. Try cassettes...
mik

Post by mik »

Beany wrote: Wed Aug 29, 2018 2:30 pm

Luxury.

Punched paper tape.....
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

I remember my dad typing pages of code from a magazine into our spectrum to get it to run a short animation :lol:
Cheers, Harry
Zonda_

Post by Zonda_ »

Beany wrote: Wed Aug 29, 2018 2:30 pm

Of course I had cassettes I just didn't have the money to buy the mags until the days of the Amiga! The 35 minute wait to load Strykers Run online to hear the ominous click 5 minutes from the end cos my mum had turned the vacuum cleaner on and crashed it!
RobYob

Post by RobYob »

integrale_evo wrote: Wed Aug 29, 2018 2:45 pm I remember my dad typing pages of code from a magazine into our spectrum to get it to run a short animation :lol:
Lol snap. I remember my dad typing in pages to get a space invaders clone running on machine he'd rented for a fortnight. Seemed like a hell of a lot of work when Galaga was 20c a go at the supermarket.
Beany

Post by Beany »

RobYob wrote: Wed Aug 29, 2018 3:25 pm
integrale_evo wrote: Wed Aug 29, 2018 2:45 pm I remember my dad typing pages of code from a magazine into our spectrum to get it to run a short animation :lol:
Lol snap. I remember my dad typing in pages to get a space invaders clone running on machine he'd rented for a fortnight. Seemed like a hell of a lot of work when Galaga was 20c a go at the supermarket.
I also did this - it put me off programming for life.
JLv3.0

Post by JLv3.0 »

The five minute wait to watch the title screen load one line at a time was always superb :D
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Sounds shit. How did computer gaming ever catch on :lol:
How about not having a sig at all?
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

And when you had played a game enough times that you knew the exact sequence of bleeps screeches and coloured flashing lines to know whether a game was loading correctly or not :lol:
Cheers, Harry
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

I'm now 110.6gb into a supposed 98gb download :?
Cheers, Harry
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

Bought GTA V again, already own it on Xbox 360 and PS3, but this it my first 'next gen' version.

Decided the 1st person view and graphical upgrade were worth the £12 especially as it doesn't look like there's going to be a new one any time soon.

Ho Lee Crap! It's amazing how much better a true 1080p 60fps image looks than the upscaled low frame rate console versions. Running at 1080, everything set as high as it will go and vsynced 60. Some of the fabric textures and people models look a bit rubbish, but most of the scenery looks stunning. Plus you can see much more detail far further out, traffic isn't just busy around you, and seems more varied. The PS3 in particular used to love picking a car model and using that for virtually every vehicle around you.

Some new vehicles too, I'm guessing they were updates which they didn't bother with for the older versions. First one I found was an AMC pacer with mk1 golf front end 😂

Seems to be pretty cpu intensive, mines regularly nudging 100%, while gpu maxed out at 80%, and it's only using 7.5gb of ram and 4.5gb of video memory. Haven't fiddled with the settings too much because the menu is a bit clunky and needs resetting the whole game after adjusting anything.
Cheers, Harry
Beany

Post by Beany »

Linux port of dusk came out recently - still in the testing branch but it's pretty damned solid. 60fps all day on my croaky old hardware.

Took me right back to my days of HUPing around in Quake and Q3 Arena. First time I've really enjoyed a shooter in ages.

If you don't like what modern FPSs have become, you'll like it. Out on Mac soon, too.
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

The Xbone will let you install any Xbox 360 games you bought digitally that will run on the newer console which is cool.

I've been playing through Fallout 3 again, 10 years old now :shock:. Still a brilliant game.
An absolute unit
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Far Cry 5 - it’s annoyingly buggy and I generally don’t like the religious theme e.g. taking over an outpost with stealth will take 5 minutes and you will end up listening to Christian music for the entire duration. This ends up getting annoying as it’s very much rinse and repeat gameplay and every cutscene has this music.

I’ll buy Assetto Corsa Competitzione and Dirt 2.0 once I finally get my PC. ACC is meant to be very good as it’s set up for eSports so it’s more sim based with a new handling and weather model. Plus I love Blancpain anyway.
How about not having a sig at all?