Pc games - what have I missed ( last ten years or so... )

integrale_evo

Pc games - what have I missed ( last ten years or so... )

Post by integrale_evo »

Stuck a Gtx 1060 in and would like to get start playing games on the pc again.

Where's best to buy from? Can you even buy physical games any more? Obviously I've been straight on steam and set up and account, bought the original quake for 99p for old times sake, downloaded Just Cause 3 ( only played about 10mins so far ) but took forever to download :lol:

Racing games?

What's worth paying for? I'm not going for a full sim setup so think an iracing sub would be pointless, assetto corsa still good?
Cheers, Harry
RobYob

Re: Pc games - what have I missed ( last ten years or so... )

Post by RobYob »

The Witcher series and Skyrim are fantastic story driven RPGs.

Likewise Crysis' for FPS.

Or just play Fortnite for free like the rest of the world. ;)

It doesn't need a great GFX card but Terraria was one of my favourite games a few years ago.
dan

Post by dan »

Assetto corsa is very good for something to jump in and have a blast on, iracing is the best as far as physics and feeling like driving a real car goes, but AC gets very close. There’s a new AC coming out next month kind you, the official game of the blancpain gt series and it looks great.
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

The new Wolfenstein and Doom games are good old style FPSs if you're looking for stuff like that.

Spintires Mudrunner if you're looking for a driving game that's a bit different.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XvXwFSwVhvY&vl=en
An absolute unit
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

I did wonder about the new old shooters. I do like first person shooters although I'm not very good at them.

Played some more just cause and am enjoying it, prefer action over deep story lines.

I fancied trying GTA v on pc having enjoyed it on x360 and PS3, but don't fancy paying £25 for another copy of the same game :lol:
Cheers, Harry
Matty
Currently Driving: Up! GTi, Alfa 4C

Post by Matty »

integrale_evo wrote: Sat Aug 11, 2018 12:56 am

I fancied trying GTA v on pc having enjoyed it on x360 and PS3, but don't fancy paying £25 for another copy of the same game :lol:
It looks and runs great on PC - only £12.99 on CDKeys:
https://www.cdkeys.com/pc/games/grand-t ... -pc-cd-key
Simon

Post by Simon »

Is cdkeys legit? There's often a lot of suspiciously cheap stuff on there...
The artist formerly known as _Who_
Matty

Post by Matty »

Yeah they're fine. Bought a few things over the years from there - a few of the others (Kinguin? And CJS?) I think are the ones who can be hit and miss.
RobYob

Post by RobYob »

Humble bundles can be ridiculously good value if you catch them at the right time.

Dishonoured was a great game, on sale £2 is a bargain.
mr_jon

Post by mr_jon »

Depending on your level of self-hatred, the dark souls series is worth a look. Need an xbox controller really tho.
RobYob

Post by RobYob »

Steam controller is also excellent for various games although I haven't used it for DS. The touchpads are very handy as mouse substitutes.
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

RobYob wrote: Sun Aug 12, 2018 8:19 am Humble bundles can be ridiculously good value if you catch them at the right time.

Dishonoured was a great game, on sale £2 is a bargain.
How do the humble bundles work? Do you get all the games in each bracket? I.e. The sports one, I quite fancied grid 2, but pay the next bracket and you unlock dirt rally which I also fancied, which is £4.99 elsewhere on its own, next bracket at £9 unlocks f1 2017, so I could get all three for £9?

Can see it working out nicely if you happen to want a number of games in a bundle.
Cheers, Harry
Matty

Post by Matty »

Yeah, so $1 or more gets 3 games,
$6.24 gets the next 3 (and including the previous 3)
$12 gets you F1 2017 and the previous 6.

Also, if you're into racing games, I'd definitely take a look at getting yourself a VR headset if you can budget it - for race/flight sims they're just awesome.
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

Not sure my budget will stretch to a decently vr capable setup really. Would be nice eventually.
Cheers, Harry
mr_jon

Post by mr_jon »

RobYob wrote: Sun Aug 12, 2018 10:11 am Steam controller is also excellent for various games although I haven't used it for DS. The touchpads are very handy as mouse substitutes.
Might give one a go, I'm on my third 360 controller as the kids pull them off my desk and they don't deal well with the drop.
unzippy

Post by unzippy »

If you are liking the Just Cause have a look at Far Cry - I enjoy both of those a lot.
The Evo forum really is a shadow of its former self. I remember when the internet was for the elite and now they seem to let any spastic on

IaFG Down Under Division
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

Yeah Far Cry 3 is great, I haven't played any of the newer ones because I started to get bored of that Ubisoft sandbox formula.
An absolute unit
Beany

Post by Beany »

If you like a bit of Quake, you owe it to yourself to look at what Doom has become - and I don't mean the 2016 version, either (although I hear it's excellent fun).

The Doom engine was open sourced and community members rebuilt it from the ground up into programs called GZDoom and Zandronum, which are the most polished and stable.

It can now, with some mods, do things like this:

Guncaster:

Loosely attached to Heretic lore, a power mod with good scaling (you can make your weapons/the enemies more/less powerful) and a good secondary weapon system. You are a pissed off dragon, you have big guns, you kill everything.

Brutal Doom:

A fairly straight weapon set and enemy update, but well known for taking existing gore packs, massively expanding on it, replacing weapons and enemy behaviours - it injects a fair amount of adrenaline into the base game.

Russian Overkill:

You can probably guess the theme of this.

Russian overkill features a chaingun that fires chainguns that fire their own bullets (yes, really), and a weapon that fires miniature fighter jets which do bombing runs on their path to the target.

Oh, and it has half a dozen nuke weapons, going from mini nukes that will wipe out a room, to larger ones that will wipe out the entire level.

Given how cheepy cheep Doom is (to get the WAD/official levels - required for some mods) and the number of free level packs (FreeDoom, Brutal Doom Starter Pack, Slaughterfest 2012, etc) and how much development still goes on, if you like old school shooters, it's still absolutely worth a look and using something like GZDoom and a good mod/map pack, it's still extremely playable.
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

Doom 2 was the first ever pc game I bought, back in the mid 90s on 4 floppys, for our 486dx2 66 with 4mb of ram.

Weirdly it wouldn't run in anything but a minute window unless you'd run a certain other game in windows (3.11) first, then dropped to dos to run doom which it would then run nicely at full screen
Cheers, Harry
Beany

Post by Beany »

Some sort of HighMem issue - I could get it to run on a 486 SX 25 with 4mb RAM, but it ran better if I used a custom autoexec.bat

But yes, check the above out, if nothing else it'll be a fun throwback.