New iPhones

User avatar
GG.
Posts: 2226
Joined: Wed Apr 11, 2018 4:16 pm

Re: New iPhones

Post by GG. » Tue Jun 04, 2019 3:20 pm

Jobbo wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2019 3:09 pm
The one thing I thought I was going to dislike was the lack of a home button but it's uncanny how easily you adapt within moments and don't miss it. Face ID has been seamless too.
It's good isn't it. I thought the FaceID would be annoying but it isn't. BTW if you have trouble with it unlocking when you're wearing sunglasses (as I recently did on holiday) you can turn off the "requires attention" setting which should make it work again.
PDK frees up your left hand so you can scratch your vagina.

User avatar
ZedLeg
Posts: 1532
Joined: Wed Apr 11, 2018 4:19 pm

Re: New iPhones

Post by ZedLeg » Tue Jun 04, 2019 3:23 pm

The one annoyance I have with my XR is that I keep turning the torch on when I'm taking it out of my pocket. SOmetimes I don't notice until my phone is back in my pocket and warming up my leg :lol:.

Other than that, it's a great phone.
An absolute unit

User avatar
Rich B
Posts: 2996
Joined: Wed Apr 11, 2018 4:22 pm

Re: New iPhones

Post by Rich B » Tue Jun 04, 2019 3:32 pm

Jobbo wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2019 3:09 pm
I swapped my iPhone 7 for an XS today. I had been pondering an XR but in the flesh it was just a bit bigger than I wanted, and the XS screen being OLED is noticeably nicer. The Apple store price-matched Argos on the XS (saving £150) and Apple are doing enhanced trade-ins currently so I got £245 for the old phone, around £50 more than I'd get elsewhere.

The one thing I thought I was going to dislike was the lack of a home button but it's uncanny how easily you adapt within moments and don't miss it. Face ID has been seamless too. Setting up has been easy enough; I decided not to restore from previous backups because they originate from my first iPhone, 11 years ago, and I fancied a fresh start. Just logging in with Apple ID brought up all my passwords and I simply downloaded the apps I wanted rather than everything which had accumulated over the years. Easy.
try the Apple Pay set up - it’s far nicer than the finger scan option...

User avatar
Jobbo
Posts: 2145
Joined: Wed Apr 11, 2018 4:20 pm

Re: New iPhones

Post by Jobbo » Tue Jun 04, 2019 3:40 pm

I thought I liked the old fingerprint Apple Pay but I can't remember when I last used it. Will be interesting to see if I end up shunning it with Face ID too. I rarely pay more than £30 in one transaction so just use my card.

User avatar
Simon
Posts: 1762
Joined: Wed Apr 11, 2018 4:03 pm

Re: New iPhones

Post by Simon » Tue Jun 04, 2019 3:56 pm

Jobbo wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2019 3:09 pm
I swapped my iPhone 7 for an XS today. I had been pondering an XR but in the flesh it was just a bit bigger than I wanted, and the XS screen being OLED is noticeably nicer. The Apple store price-matched Argos on the XS (saving £150) and Apple are doing enhanced trade-ins currently so I got £245 for the old phone, around £50 more than I'd get elsewhere.

The one thing I thought I was going to dislike was the lack of a home button but it's uncanny how easily you adapt within moments and don't miss it. Face ID has been seamless too. Setting up has been easy enough; I decided not to restore from previous backups because they originate from my first iPhone, 11 years ago, and I fancied a fresh start. Just logging in with Apple ID brought up all my passwords and I simply downloaded the apps I wanted rather than everything which had accumulated over the years. Easy.
Would you mind sharing what the storage was on your 7 and your cost-to-change?

The earpiece amp in the wife's 7 is dying and I'm wondering if its just simpler to buy her a new phone...
The artist formerly known as _Who_

User avatar
Richard
Posts: 817
Joined: Wed Apr 11, 2018 5:03 pm

Re: New iPhones

Post by Richard » Tue Jun 04, 2019 7:07 pm

ZedLeg wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2019 3:23 pm
The one annoyance I have with my XR is that I keep turning the torch on when I'm taking it out of my pocket. SOmetimes I don't notice until my phone is back in my pocket and warming up my leg :lol:.
Same


Not sure how it keeps happening, especially I don’t find my camera in in my pocket (which is the other lockscreen shortcut button)

User avatar
Jobbo
Posts: 2145
Joined: Wed Apr 11, 2018 4:20 pm

Re: New iPhones

Post by Jobbo » Tue Jun 04, 2019 8:25 pm

Simon wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2019 3:56 pm
Would you mind sharing what the storage was on your 7 and your cost-to-change?

The earpiece amp in the wife's 7 is dying and I'm wondering if its just simpler to buy her a new phone...
It was a 256GB 7, and it’s a 256GB XS. Cost to change was £759.

It was a bit decadent really but the 7 cost me £680 in Sept 2017 so it’s depreciated about £21 per month. They were going to fix the earpiece for free on the 7 so if you don’t fancy spending, it’s easy enough to get fixed.

User avatar
Simon
Posts: 1762
Joined: Wed Apr 11, 2018 4:03 pm

Re: New iPhones

Post by Simon » Tue Jun 04, 2019 8:39 pm

Jobbo wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2019 8:25 pm
Simon wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2019 3:56 pm
Would you mind sharing what the storage was on your 7 and your cost-to-change?

The earpiece amp in the wife's 7 is dying and I'm wondering if its just simpler to buy her a new phone...
It was a 256GB 7, and it’s a 256GB XS. Cost to change was £759.

It was a bit decadent really but the 7 cost me £680 in Sept 2017 so it’s depreciated about £21 per month. They were going to fix the earpiece for free on the 7 so if you don’t fancy spending, it’s easy enough to get fixed.
Crikey, thanks for that. Even with a trade-in that's a fair chunk.

So was your earpiece on its way out too?
The artist formerly known as _Who_

User avatar
240PP
Posts: 522
Joined: Sat Apr 14, 2018 9:27 am
Currently Driving: A5 3.0 TDI, 987 S.

Re: New iPhones

Post by 240PP » Tue Jun 04, 2019 8:51 pm

Richard wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2019 7:07 pm
ZedLeg wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2019 3:23 pm
The one annoyance I have with my XR is that I keep turning the torch on when I'm taking it out of my pocket. SOmetimes I don't notice until my phone is back in my pocket and warming up my leg :lol:.
Same


Not sure how it keeps happening, especially I don’t find my camera in in my pocket (which is the other lockscreen shortcut button)
Have you been googling or having conversations about torches?

User avatar
Simon
Posts: 1762
Joined: Wed Apr 11, 2018 4:03 pm

Re: New iPhones

Post by Simon » Tue Jun 04, 2019 8:53 pm

:D
The artist formerly known as _Who_

User avatar
Jobbo
Posts: 2145
Joined: Wed Apr 11, 2018 4:20 pm

Re: New iPhones

Post by Jobbo » Tue Jun 04, 2019 9:38 pm

Yeah, my earpiece had been muffled for a while. I thought it was just people mumbling before realising it was every call. I spotted you mention the same thing.

Yeah, it’s a grand before trade-in but that’s discounted by £150. I reckon it’ll last me nearer 3 years and should be worth £200 as a trade in after that. We’ll see.

User avatar
Simon
Posts: 1762
Joined: Wed Apr 11, 2018 4:03 pm

Re: New iPhones

Post by Simon » Wed Jun 05, 2019 7:07 am

Jobbo wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2019 9:38 pm
Yeah, my earpiece had been muffled for a while. I thought it was just people mumbling before realising it was every call. I spotted you mention the same thing.

Yeah, it’s a grand before trade-in but that’s discounted by £150. I reckon it’ll last me nearer 3 years and should be worth £200 as a trade in after that. We’ll see.
OK thanks - so one last question - did they offer to fix the phone in-store whilst you wait? Or were you gonna be without it for a while?

And is the 'free fix' an official policy?
The artist formerly known as _Who_

User avatar
Rich B
Posts: 2996
Joined: Wed Apr 11, 2018 4:22 pm

Re: New iPhones

Post by Rich B » Wed Jun 05, 2019 8:23 am

Jobbo wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2019 3:40 pm
I thought I liked the old fingerprint Apple Pay but I can't remember when I last used it. Will be interesting to see if I end up shunning it with Face ID too. I rarely pay more than £30 in one transaction so just use my card.
i rarely bother with my wallet any more - most of my purchases are stuff like lunch, drinks or little bits and pieces - I just use my phone for all of them.

User avatar
Jobbo
Posts: 2145
Joined: Wed Apr 11, 2018 4:20 pm

Re: New iPhones

Post by Jobbo » Wed Jun 05, 2019 10:11 am

Simon wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2019 7:07 am
Jobbo wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2019 9:38 pm
Yeah, my earpiece had been muffled for a while. I thought it was just people mumbling before realising it was every call. I spotted you mention the same thing.

Yeah, it’s a grand before trade-in but that’s discounted by £150. I reckon it’ll last me nearer 3 years and should be worth £200 as a trade in after that. We’ll see.
OK thanks - so one last question - did they offer to fix the phone in-store whilst you wait? Or were you gonna be without it for a while?

And is the 'free fix' an official policy?
They would have done it while I waited, but they said it would take about an hour. Not sure if it was a free fix because the phone was under 2 years old or what, but it came up as a free fix so may well be entirely standard for a 7.

I used Apple Pay to pay for petrol last night; it's a heck of a lot quicker than the old fingerprint method and it worked when my phone was quite a way from the reader, so the wireless stuff is clearly better too. Annoyingly it worked so quickly I used the wrong card to pay :lol:

When down in Devon a couple of weeks ago it seemed there were places which basically only take cards now, and places which only take cash, so you couldn't get by with just a phone. I like my wallet anyway; I switched to a thin sleeve with just two cards in it for a while but I missed patting my pocket to check my wallet was there.

User avatar
Rich B
Posts: 2996
Joined: Wed Apr 11, 2018 4:22 pm

Re: New iPhones

Post by Rich B » Wed Jun 05, 2019 10:34 am

Rich B wrote:
Fri Aug 03, 2018 1:48 pm
Jobbo wrote:
Fri Aug 03, 2018 12:39 pm
Ah, so two steps rather than one to use Apple Pay. That's the future, that is :lol:
Try one, you can do it all at the same time if you really want - but it works so nicely that it’s really not worth getting upset over.
see!

User avatar
GG.
Posts: 2226
Joined: Wed Apr 11, 2018 4:16 pm

Re: New iPhones

Post by GG. » Wed Jun 05, 2019 10:41 am

Jobbo wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2019 10:11 am
I like my wallet anyway; I switched to a thin sleeve with just two cards in it for a while but I missed patting my pocket to check my wallet was there.
Spectacles, testicles, wallet & watch! :D
PDK frees up your left hand so you can scratch your vagina.

User avatar
Simon
Posts: 1762
Joined: Wed Apr 11, 2018 4:03 pm

Re: New iPhones

Post by Simon » Wed Jun 05, 2019 1:29 pm

Jobbo wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2019 10:11 am
Simon wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2019 7:07 am
Jobbo wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2019 9:38 pm
Yeah, my earpiece had been muffled for a while. I thought it was just people mumbling before realising it was every call. I spotted you mention the same thing.

Yeah, it’s a grand before trade-in but that’s discounted by £150. I reckon it’ll last me nearer 3 years and should be worth £200 as a trade in after that. We’ll see.
OK thanks - so one last question - did they offer to fix the phone in-store whilst you wait? Or were you gonna be without it for a while?

And is the 'free fix' an official policy?
They would have done it while I waited, but they said it would take about an hour. Not sure if it was a free fix because the phone was under 2 years old or what, but it came up as a free fix so may well be entirely standard for a 7.

I used Apple Pay to pay for petrol last night; it's a heck of a lot quicker than the old fingerprint method and it worked when my phone was quite a way from the reader, so the wireless stuff is clearly better too. Annoyingly it worked so quickly I used the wrong card to pay :lol:

When down in Devon a couple of weeks ago it seemed there were places which basically only take cards now, and places which only take cash, so you couldn't get by with just a phone. I like my wallet anyway; I switched to a thin sleeve with just two cards in it for a while but I missed patting my pocket to check my wallet was there.
Good stuff. I'll book her a genius bar appointment to see what they can do
The artist formerly known as _Who_

Nathan
Posts: 526
Joined: Wed Apr 11, 2018 8:08 pm

Re: New iPhones

Post by Nathan » Thu Jun 06, 2019 9:57 am

Jobbo wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2019 9:38 pm
Yeah, my earpiece had been muffled for a while. I thought it was just people mumbling before realising it was every call. I spotted you mention the same thing.

I fixed this on my friends phone, dirt on the speaker. Easy

User avatar
ste
Posts: 877
Joined: Wed Apr 11, 2018 4:16 pm

Re: New iPhones

Post by ste » Thu Jun 06, 2019 10:03 am

Same with the 7 I had. I consigned it to a drawer but a mate mentioned it would just need a clean. He stripped it, cleaned it and gave it back fully working. my son now uses it.

User avatar
ste
Posts: 877
Joined: Wed Apr 11, 2018 4:16 pm

Re: New iPhones

Post by ste » Thu Jun 06, 2019 10:31 am

In fact, has anyone got an iPhone for sells? 6 or newer, preferably with box and charger. Child 2 needs one and I'd rather not deal with eBay etc.

Post Reply