New iPhones

Richard

Re: New iPhones

Post by Richard »

Jobbo wrote: Mon Sep 10, 2018 2:55 pm I bought mine outright and got about £100 off because I didn't buy anywhere near launch. However, the Apple Upgrade Programme is a 0% interest deal to buy outright at RRP but you get Apple Care+ included, and the right to trade to a new one before you've finished paying, so it seems to be one of the better ways to get a brand new unlocked iPhone immediately they're launched.
This is how I do mine

You don’t get Apple Care+ included for free, you have to pay for it. So your cost is the cost of the phone PLUS Apple Care+, which you have to have.

For me this was

iPhone X 64GB - £999
Apple Care+ - £199
Total - £1198.00

Upfront Payment in Store - £69

Leaving £1129, split over 20 months at 0% APR

Then, after 11 monthly payments (1 year later) you can trade in your iPhone X, which clears the debt and allows you to get a new iPhone

They first started this with the iPhone 7, which I did, and then I swapped to an X after the year.

Slight problem is, the 8 came out 1 year after the 7, with the X coming out about a month after that. I wonder if I have to wait the full year, or whether I’ll be able to make an additional 1 month payment to upgrade “early”
Richard

Post by Richard »

You can make the additional 1 month payment

Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

Richard wrote: Tue Sep 11, 2018 3:42 pm You don’t get Apple Care+ included for free, you have to pay for it. So your cost is the cost of the phone PLUS Apple Care+, which you have to have.
Ah, they don't make very clear that you have to pay extra for the included Apple Care+ :lol: Cheeky.
Orange Cola

Post by Orange Cola »

Ditching the force touch, second camera and whatever else was mentioned is only for the new cheaper (well, less expensive) model they’re introducing. This has the medium screen size. Those features remain on the other two models they’re launching.

USBC is a legislative thing, Apple wouldn’t go to it if they weren’t forced to.
Mustang GT 5.0 V8 -- Jaguar F-Pace
Richard

Post by Richard »

Orange Cola wrote: Tue Sep 11, 2018 8:45 pm Ditching the force touch, second camera and whatever else was mentioned is only for the new cheaper (well, less expensive) model they’re introducing. This has the medium screen size. Those features remain on the other two models they’re launching.

What legislation is that?
drcarlos

Post by drcarlos »

Richard wrote: Tue Sep 11, 2018 9:07 pm
Orange Cola wrote: Tue Sep 11, 2018 8:45 pm Ditching the force touch, second camera and whatever else was mentioned is only for the new cheaper (well, less expensive) model they’re introducing. This has the medium screen size. Those features remain on the other two models they’re launching.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Common_ex ... wer_supply

Is what is being referred to I think. Apple have probably been fined for largely ignoring it or by claiming lightning is not USB, however as USB-C is better than lightning they'll have to fall in line now.

Carl.
Richard

Post by Richard »

“compliance is voluntary”
drcarlos

Post by drcarlos »

Richard wrote: Wed Sep 12, 2018 10:03 am “compliance is voluntary”
I haven't actually read it but that's interesting, it's a completely pointless piece of work really.

Anyway USB-C > Lightning and Apple are already highly invested in it so it's a big plus for commonality.

Carl.
Richard

Post by Richard »

I think it would be quite a thing for Apple to introduce USB type-C on their phones now

People will lose their shit

Lightning works fine for phone use

They’ve only used Lightning ports for 6 years

I think Apple are going to try and push for wireless charging (Qi) to be the “universal” charging standard, which personally I think is probably better
Ascender
Currently Driving: 2019 M2 Competition

Post by Ascender »

Maybe they'll just include usb-c chargers with usb-c to lightning cables as that's the best of both worlds for Apple.
Cheers,

Mike.
DaveE

Post by DaveE »

Ascender wrote: Wed Sep 12, 2018 12:42 pm Maybe they'll just include usb-c chargers with usb-c to lightning cables as that's the best of both worlds for Apple.
It's an Apple tradition to require an(other) adapter as well...
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

The adaptors are a real money maker for Apple, with half of the top 10 products Apple sell being adaptors. They don’t last very long and most iPhone/Mac owners will require a few of them during the lifetime of the product but they even out the revenue stream and must cost Apple pennies to make which they then sell on at rip off prices.
How about not having a sig at all?
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

drcarlos wrote: Wed Sep 12, 2018 9:59 am
Richard wrote: Tue Sep 11, 2018 9:07 pm

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Common_ex ... wer_supply

Is what is being referred to I think. Apple have probably been fined for largely ignoring it or by claiming lightning is not USB, however as USB-C is better than lightning they'll have to fall in line now.

Carl.
That's all about the actual charger though, not the cable. We have a house full of apple chargers which get used for all sorts of usb powered things which didn't come with and have done so for years with no issues. We don't throw them out and buy new ones all the time :?
Cheers, Harry
DaveE

Post by DaveE »

Switching to USB-C for iPnones, iPads etc would mean they could also choose to adopt the Qualcomm quick charging standards.

I think the iPhone X wireless charging is Qualcomm?

Quick Charge devices charge so quickly (as I've said before).

Wireless only vs having a wired charging option have their pros and cons.

What I like about wireless is the "pick it up/put it down" simplicity - no wires to connect/disconnect etc.

What wireless only could mean would that it wouldn't really be possible to use the device and charge it at the same time.

My personal wants list later is a new iPad of some description (mine is dying on its arse) and I'd like a MacBook (the non-touch bar Pro seems out of date now and the touch bar ones seem pointless/too expensive to me)...
Orange Cola

Post by Orange Cola »

Announcement due today isn't it?
Mustang GT 5.0 V8 -- Jaguar F-Pace
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

It’s just a tarted up X.
And a slightly bigger one.
How about not having a sig at all?
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

Mito Man wrote: Wed Sep 12, 2018 7:01 pm It’s just a tarted up X.
And a slightly bigger one.
I was more impressed by the Watch 4. I almost thought about wanting one for a minute.
Middle-aged Dirtbag
JLv3.0

Post by JLv3.0 »

Get your dad to pay for it then complain.

#Mito
ste

Post by ste »

I actually think the R looks like the best of the offerings. Size is better, has all the cool new shit just has an LED rather than OLED screen. Cheaper and available in better colours.
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

I like that they've resurrected old 80’s Peugeot model designations.