New iPhones

Mito Man

Re: New iPhones

Post by Mito Man »

JLv3.0 wrote: Wed Sep 12, 2018 8:02 pm Get your dad to pay for it then complain.

#Mito
Maybe I will.
How about not having a sig at all?
Ascender
Currently Driving: 2019 M2 Competition

Post by Ascender »

ste wrote: Wed Sep 12, 2018 8:05 pm I actually think the R looks like the best of the offerings. Size is better, has all the cool new shit just has an LED rather than OLED screen. Cheaper and available in better colours.
I was kind of with you but would miss the really good cameras from the X.

The new Watch looks good, but I've been a convert to those for a while, especially since they added cellular. EKG functionality in a watch though? That's some pretty cool stuff although has it been confirmed its going to be released in the UK with all the functionality the US has? They did scientific trials in the US when the last watch launched which I assume has paved the way for the EKG now. But those trials and the heart app didn't get released over here.
Cheers,

Mike.
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

So the X last year was a cunning way to make sure people wouldn't buy the XR this year, getting them used to the camera. Nice move, Apple; glad I didn't get an X so the XR will be the one I go for.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

The dual lens camera is the only major iPhone improvement in the last few years for me.

Hope they implement the ECG in the Apple Watch here soon, otherwise it’s only going to take a few minutes to jailbreak it and add the function back in - the bog standard heart rate app has already saved my bacon once.
scotta

Post by scotta »

Im still stubbornly sticking with my 6. I use the headphone jack too much and need to charge it at the same time as i spend hours on conf calls.

Although a wireless changing mat on my desk and the headphoe adapter dongle thing might be a solution. I still baulk at nearly a grand for a phone.
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

scotta wrote: Thu Sep 13, 2018 10:00 am Im still stubbornly sticking with my 6. I use the headphone jack too much and need to charge it at the same time as i spend hours on conf calls.

Although a wireless changing mat on my desk and the headphoe adapter dongle thing might be a solution. I still baulk at nearly a grand for a phone.
meh, your 6 would have been £700 or so. Spread that over a couple of years and it doesn’t really make much difference.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

There’s an adapter for that ;)
scotta

Post by scotta »

Mito Man wrote: Thu Sep 13, 2018 10:11 am There’s an adapter for that ;)
I thought they bricked that in an ios update?
ste

Post by ste »

The dual lens camera is obviously really good, but how good do you need the camera on your phone to be? The one on my 7 is fucking ace and the one on the XR is significantly better. XR still has the post-processing of bokeh etc. I'd like to have a proper look at both before deciding between XS and XR, but guess they won't have the XRs to look at for another month so will just need to make a call without seeing them.

I really hoped the X had been a white phone last year. I see the XR as a way of getting that, cheaper, with a miles faster chip, better battery, more functionality and cheaper and all I don't get is a telephoto lens.

Scott, no headphone jack is such a non-issue. Without the shitty battery life that the 6 has you don't need the fucking thing plugged in and charging all the time.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

I just moved on to Bluetooth earbuds which I should add to the life’s small wins thread. Spending £40 on a set of earbuds and never having to faff about with twisted cables or that annoying amplified knocking sound as you walk and the cable hit you - win.
ste

Post by ste »

Well that as well.
ste

Post by ste »

Ascender wrote: Thu Sep 13, 2018 8:36 am EKG functionality in a watch though? That's some pretty cool stuff although has it been confirmed its going to be released in the UK with all the functionality the US has? They did scientific trials in the US when the last watch launched which I assume has paved the way for the EKG now. But those trials and the heart app didn't get released over here.
The FDA approved it. It's not approved in the UK though. I spoke to some of our clinicians about it last night and it's nothing like a real ECG apparently and won't get approval in the UK.
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

ste wrote: Thu Sep 13, 2018 10:40 am I see the XR as a way of getting that, cheaper, with a miles faster chip, better battery, more functionality and cheaper and all I don't get is a telephoto lens.
Exactly my view. Now Apple have ceased to be too dictatorial about size, they've produced something which actually makes the 6/7/8 form factor finally look a bit old fashioned.

Having checked the specs, it's much closer in weight to the 8+ than the 8, and it's a bit larger than halfway between the 8 and 8+ in dimensions, but it doesn't look like a weird oversized thing in the way the Plus always did. The size is all put to use for the screen.
tim

Post by tim »

ste wrote: Thu Sep 13, 2018 10:40 am The dual lens camera is obviously really good, but how good do you need the camera on your phone to be? The one on my 7 is fucking ace and the one on the XR is significantly better. XR still has the post-processing of bokeh etc. I'd like to have a proper look at both before deciding between XS and XR, but guess they won't have the XRs to look at for another month so will just need to make a call without seeing them.
Might help

I'm going to get a Xs Max
ste

Post by ste »

tim wrote: Thu Sep 13, 2018 11:41 am Might help
Ah thanks. I think that confirms it, I'll get a white XR.
Ascender

Post by Ascender »

ste wrote: Thu Sep 13, 2018 10:59 am
Ascender wrote: Thu Sep 13, 2018 8:36 am EKG functionality in a watch though? That's some pretty cool stuff although has it been confirmed its going to be released in the UK with all the functionality the US has? They did scientific trials in the US when the last watch launched which I assume has paved the way for the EKG now. But those trials and the heart app didn't get released over here.
The FDA approved it. It's not approved in the UK though. I spoke to some of our clinicians about it last night and it's nothing like a real ECG apparently and won't get approval in the UK.
That's interesting about the approval thing, I did wonder about that. I know its nothing like a proper ECG, but its still pretty incredible tech to have on your wrist, especially when you read about someone who's ended up going to their doctor and getting a heart issue dealt with before its lead to a life or death situation. All because of a watch costing a few hundred quid.
Cheers,

Mike.
Ascender

Post by Ascender »

The X R does look like a cracking phone to be honest...
Cheers,

Mike.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Ascender wrote: Thu Sep 13, 2018 2:27 pm
ste wrote: Thu Sep 13, 2018 10:59 am
That's interesting about the approval thing, I did wonder about that. I know its nothing like a proper ECG, but its still pretty incredible tech to have on your wrist, especially when you read about someone who's ended up going to their doctor and getting a heart issue dealt with before its lead to a life or death situation. All because of a watch costing a few hundred quid.
It just needs to be good enough. How many of us go in for an ECG? And even if you go once a year that may not be frequent enough to catch something that can develop quickly, as I found out speaking to a pilot in hospital. The Apple Heartrate app is about 5-10% off on my series 1 watch when I compare it to the professional equipment, but that was still enough to make the cardiologist think that I needed further tests.
Simon

Post by Simon »

The thing about the iPhone XR is that it's got a really poor screen resolution for a high end phone. Just 326 dpi, which is lower than just about any other high end phone on the market.

I know there are those that will say that it's not a high-end because it sits below the XS, but it still STARTS at £749 and that's high-end in anyone's book
The artist formerly known as _Who_
ste

Post by ste »

Ascender wrote: Thu Sep 13, 2018 2:27 pm That's interesting about the approval thing, I did wonder about that. I know its nothing like a proper ECG, but its still pretty incredible tech to have on your wrist, especially when you read about someone who's ended up going to their doctor and getting a heart issue dealt with before its lead to a life or death situation. All because of a watch costing a few hundred quid.
Hmmm.

https://www.accessdata.fda.gov/cdrh_doc ... 180042.pdf