New iPhones

dan

Re: New iPhones

Post by dan »

Mito Man wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2019 10:37 am
I was tempted by the Apple Watch Series 3 but just noticed they’re only selling them in aluminium and cheap glass and have binned the stainless steel with sapphire ones so it’s useless for me.
You can have mine when I get a 5 if you want.

Weird that apple don't pay more attention to forums like this and actually make some decent products.
JLv3.0

Post by JLv3.0 »

Exactly, I mean we must have at least 30 active members on here these days :lol:
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

I'm still happy with my 6s, but I'm getting twinges of want for a new toy.

Have they capped photo resolution yet, while what the new cameras can do looks interesting, I have no real interest in the photo being 300 megapixel or whatever, as long as it's good enough.
Cheers, Harry
Simon

Post by Simon »

DaveE wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2019 6:17 pm No high refresh rate screens

No reverse wireless charging (so you could charge your AirPods directly from the phone)

Still using lightning rather than USB-C

Only the Pros include a faster charging plug

But they have caught up a bit with 'old' features like Night Sight, Street View, Swipe keyboard etc

The main thing for me is that the Pro's camera is just so ugly. Raised lens rings on a raised square 'thing'. Just looks really poorly designed.

They'll sell well (as always), because Apple.
Dave sums it up well. Apart from the camera, there's not really any perceivable update whatsoever. It really feels like Apple are either coasting, or all out of ideas nowadays. And the basic chassis of the 11 goes right back to the 6, which was released 5 years ago.
The artist formerly known as _Who_
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

They’ll sell well because iOS is still far nicer to use than the alternatives.

Nothing big has happened in phones for a while though, wireless earphones have been a big success, so has portrait mode, but other than that - it’s just rejigging/improving the existing stuff.

I can’t see folding screens being anything more than a gimmick, so what else is there?
Simon

Post by Simon »

Rich B wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2019 7:13 pm They’ll sell well because iOS is still far nicer to use than the alternatives for some people.

Nothing big has happened in phones for a while though, wireless earphones have been a big success, so has portrait mode, but other than that - it’s just rejigging/improving the existing stuff.

I can’t see folding screens being anything more than a gimmick, so what else is there?
FTFLFY

Yes, they've got the wireless earpods sorted. OH has some and they just work.

The rest of it though? OH wants to move to 'my phone' now as it takes better photos and she's tired of her last 3 iPhones all breaking on her. Even her 'bestie' isn't upgrading, but merely keeping her current phone and moving to a sim-only contract.

As for innovations, I think Google are innovating more here. Like the 'call screening' service built into the phone, for example. I'm not going to make this a Google/Android thread, but I do think Apple have just stalled, so to speak.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

This is nothing new. Apple always wait to see what every other phone manufacturer has done, if it’s good they’ll perfect it and get all the credit for it.

Just noticed they’ve secretly dropped 3D Touch but the price has still increased :lol:
How about not having a sig at all?
Simon

Post by Simon »

3D touch, LOL. My ex had that on her Blackberry Storm 2, what 10 years ago?
IanF
Currently Driving: Ferrari F430 Spider
BMW M4 Comp
Mini Cooper
LR Evoque P300e

Post by IanF »

But we all know what’s going on here. Apple (or Google etc) could bring out a phone that is better than anything else out there in every category by a significant margin today, but then they (and us) would have to wait for the next big thing in phones to be developed. (And god knows how long that could be.)

Instead, they update one item per annum and this enables them to keep churning out yearly updates for people to buy; the problem is their decision to release a new phone every year imho.
Cheers,

Ian
Richard

Post by Richard »

integrale_evo wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2019 6:52 pm I'm still happy with my 6s, but I'm getting twinges of want for a new toy.

Have they capped photo resolution yet, while what the new cameras can do looks interesting, I have no real interest in the photo being 300 megapixel or whatever, as long as it's good enough.
They’ve been using 12mp sensors since the 6S
Richard

Post by Richard »

Mito Man wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2019 8:29 pm This is nothing new. Apple always wait to see what every other phone manufacturer has done, if it’s good they’ll perfect it and get all the credit for it.

Just noticed they’ve secretly dropped 3D Touch but the price has still increased :lol:
The $ price has stayed the same for the 11 Pro models vs their XS counterparts
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

Simon wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2019 6:54 pm And the basic chassis of the 11 goes right back to the 6, which was released 5 years ago.
The 11 is the cheap one, and the 6 structure was rather well designed (one piece aluminium). It's not the same structure anyway; they're not the same size, even. So it uses the same method of construction rather than a carry-over.
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

Simon wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 12:49 am 3D touch, LOL. My ex had that on her Blackberry Storm 2, what 10 years ago?
My mrs had a touchscreen Nokia at the same time I had my iPhone 3G. That had a thing where you could press the screen to select things but it moved the whole screen and made a clicky noise.

The iPhone version works fine, but probably don't use it more than a handful of times a year.

The only thing I would like to see on a new iPhone is an invisible fingerprint reader within the screen, but that's not going to happen as everyone else seems to like face id.
Cheers, Harry
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

Jobbo wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 10:15 am
Simon wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2019 6:54 pm And the basic chassis of the 11 goes right back to the 6, which was released 5 years ago.
The 11 is the cheap one, and the 6 structure was rather well designed (one piece aluminium). It's not the same structure anyway; they're not the same size, even. So it uses the same method of construction rather than a carry-over.
The 6 was the bendy one wasn't it? The 6s similar but a different internal layout and strengthened shell. I thought the newer ones had a glass panel integral to the case, so nothing like the 6s.
Cheers, Harry
Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

integrale_evo wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 1:45 pm
Jobbo wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 10:15 am
The 6 was the bendy one wasn't it? The 6s similar but a different internal layout and strengthened shell. I thought the newer ones had a glass panel integral to the case, so nothing like the 6s.
The 8, X, XS and 11 Pro all have the glass back (and a structure made of steel, I think - certainly the XS does). I don't think there's any reason to believe the 11 will be bendy because Apple have produced a few iterations using that material and overall design since the 6, such as the 6S and 7.

ETA: having just had a google, it seems the 11 will have a glass back like the XR anyway, so it's nothing like the 6 in construction. More like the 8, and of course the XR which it replaces.
Beany

Post by Beany »

I've been given an iPhone 6S for work after my Android handset died.

Apparently you can't record incoming calls easily (work thing, don't ask), and you can't have a status widget on the lockscreen (so I can't check the monitoring platform with one button press from locked)

It's like going back in time ten years. :?
Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

You can add widgets for pretty much anything now - swipe right on the homescreen and then down to the bottom of the widget notifications, then touch 'Edit'. It'll offer you everything installed which offers a widget.
Ascender
Currently Driving: 2019 M2 Competition

Post by Ascender »

Its all about the cameras these days and incremental updates. Not sure what the next big thing will be, but also not sure what people are wanting them to magic out of their ass either.

Folding screens look great if they allow someone to make a device like the ones they use in Westworld, but that's obviously a long way off.
Cheers,

Mike.
Richard

Post by Richard »

Ascender wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 2:29 pm Its all about the cameras these days and incremental updates. Not sure what the next big thing will be, but also not sure what people are wanting them to magic out of their ass either.

Folding screens look great if they allow someone to make a device like the ones they use in Westworld, but that's obviously a long way off.
Folding screens will be the next big thing. Currently they’re not a great thing, but I can get behind the concept. I expect we’ll all be using them in 5-6 years. We’re all using bigger and bigger screens, but our pockets remain a similar size.

Also smart watches, which are already a pretty big thing, but I think will continue to be improved and become more useful. I’d have one, if not for wearing a “proper” watch, which I can’t see myself giving up.

Companies are pouring money into AR stuff too, but I’m not really into that yet.
Orange Cola

Post by Orange Cola »

I have placed my order for an 11 Pro with 256gb in silver. I contemplated an 11 and an 11 Pro Max but the screen sizes just put me off because they don’t fit in any of my pockets and I don’t have some massive freaky fingers to use them one handed, although the normal 11 Pro isn’t exactly one hand sized either. I’m moving from an iPhone 7 with an unhappy battery that can’t last most of a waking day now, it’s the second battery and the phone now creaks when I use force touch. It’s a pretty key attribute to have a somewhat waterproof phone after I killed my iPhone 6 in a swimming pool.

It’s going to feel weird, I have a 6S work phone which won’t get replaced for years to come yet and I’ve basically had the same iphone for the past 5 years, my 6 & 7 didn’t feel much different, just one was slightly more polished in terms of speed and feature updates, but ultimately not enough to feel like an upgrade, and crucially more water proof than the other.

The question is, will Apple replace the battery in my iPhone 7 after it’s been replaced by a third party with a non official Apple battery? I’d quite like to keep my 7, one if the last with a home button and a potential useful spare.
Mustang GT 5.0 V8 -- Jaguar F-Pace