New iPhones

Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Re: New iPhones

Post by Rich B »

I bought mine and the wife’s X last year outright. It doesn’t really work out much cheaper these days but I liked the option of using whatever network/plan I wanted. Plus I got a 3 year warranty for no extra cost.
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

I bought mine outright and got about £100 off because I didn't buy anywhere near launch. However, the Apple Upgrade Programme is a 0% interest deal to buy outright at RRP but you get Apple Care+ included, and the right to trade to a new one before you've finished paying, so it seems to be one of the better ways to get a brand new unlocked iPhone immediately they're launched.
tim

Post by tim »

I'm on the O2 annual upgrade thingum, I get my upgrade on the 15th so will see what transpires on weds.
Ascender
Currently Driving: 2019 M2 Competition

Post by Ascender »

This year's releases seem to be about even bigger iPhones which is the exact opposite of what I'd like to see. And gold bling finishes...
Cheers,

Mike.
Rich B

Post by Rich B »

Ascender wrote: Tue Sep 11, 2018 8:35 am This year's releases seem to be about even bigger iPhones which is the exact opposite of what I'd like to see. And gold bling finishes...
no wonder they’re so unsuccessful. They don’t even listen to you!!
DaveE

Post by DaveE »

Saw a rumour this morning that the (likely to be updated tomorrow) iPad Pro might get a ISB-C port instead of the Lightning one...
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

It's a bit pointless me looking at rumours only a day (and a few hours) before the announcement, but the new 6.1" screen iPhone looks like the one to go for. Apparently it'll get rid of 3D Touch (which I dislike so avoid using) and only has the one camera lens (I particularly dislike the way a pair of lenses on the back of a phone look), it has a bigger screen than the old Plus phones but won't grow too much in size over the standard phones/X, and is aluminium so is light and cheaper. I'd go for a 68% bigger screen area for a small increase in overall size.
Ascender

Post by Ascender »

Rich B wrote: Tue Sep 11, 2018 8:45 am
Ascender wrote: Tue Sep 11, 2018 8:35 am This year's releases seem to be about even bigger iPhones which is the exact opposite of what I'd like to see. And gold bling finishes...
no wonder they’re so unsuccessful. They don’t even listen to you!!
Baffling isn't it?
Cheers,

Mike.
JLv3.0

Post by JLv3.0 »

Yeah FFS!! Them and their stupid trillions! If they listened to us, they'd be worth MILLIONS 8-)
Simon

Post by Simon »

Jobbo wrote: Tue Sep 11, 2018 9:16 am It's a bit pointless me looking at rumours only a day (and a few hours) before the announcement, but the new 6.1" screen iPhone looks like the one to go for. Apparently it'll get rid of 3D Touch (which I dislike so avoid using) and only has the one camera lens (I particularly dislike the way a pair of lenses on the back of a phone look), it has a bigger screen than the old Plus phones but won't grow too much in size over the standard phones/X, and is aluminium so is light and cheaper. I'd go for a 68% bigger screen area for a small increase in overall size.
Apple seem to love introducing useful tech then binning it off.

See 3d Touch, dual cameras (both as above), Magsafe power plugs, fingerprint home buttons, purportedly lightning connectors (if this thread is to be believed) and so on.
The artist formerly known as _Who_
Rich B

Post by Rich B »

Better than just ploughing on with established tech because people are used to it. You might get it wrong sometimes, but you’re not moving forward unless you try new things.
JLv3.0

Post by JLv3.0 »

I think we're all getting pretty sick of your relaxed and tolerant views on such matters, Rich.
Rich B

Post by Rich B »

JLv3.0 wrote: Tue Sep 11, 2018 10:35 am I think we're all getting pretty sick of your relaxed and tolerant views on such matters, Rich.
tbf - I never really cared enough about the whole iPhone/Samsung crap to argue back, people do get so concerned about it though - “you have an iPhone!!??! You’re such a sheep!!!!!!”

Bizarre.

I’ll step up for something else ASAP.
JLv3.0

Post by JLv3.0 »

Mac or PC is always a good fallback.
DaveE

Post by DaveE »

For the first time in a while, I don't think I'll be able to watch the Apple event this time.

I quite enjoy them, for various reasons...
Ascender

Post by Ascender »

It only seems like Apple likes to bin off tech quickly because we're all getting older and time is rushing past now at a rate we can't comprehend. Magsafe lasted about 12 years and is still available on the Air. Even the lightning cable is about 6 years old now and they got grief after replacing the original which must have been nearly 10 years old?
Cheers,

Mike.
Simon

Post by Simon »

Ascender wrote: Tue Sep 11, 2018 12:13 pm It only seems like Apple likes to bin off tech quickly because we're all getting older and time is rushing past now at a rate we can't comprehend. Magsafe lasted about 12 years and is still available on the Air. Even the lightning cable is about 6 years old now and they got grief after replacing the original which must have been nearly 10 years old?
The Air isn't long for this world in its current form.

The problem is that previously they've replaced tech with something better. Lightning>30 pin. Fingerprint home button > PIN. 3D touch > standard capacitive screen.

What have they replaced Magsafe with? Charging via USB-C. Great lot of good that is when I trip over the cable in the lounge sending the Mac flying into the cat.
The artist formerly known as _Who_
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

How have you survived with all your other electrical appliances all these years?

The MagSafe is the one thing that pissed me off when using a Mac lying on my sofa as the cable kept popping off.
How about not having a sig at all?
DaveE

Post by DaveE »

If moving to USB-C is the start of Apple (finally!) standardising their ports, chargers etc, then that's surely the best outcome?
simon_g

Post by simon_g »

Jobbo wrote: Tue Sep 11, 2018 9:16 am It's a bit pointless me looking at rumours only a day (and a few hours) before the announcement, but the new 6.1" screen iPhone looks like the one to go for. Apparently it'll get rid of 3D Touch (which I dislike so avoid using) and only has the one camera lens (I particularly dislike the way a pair of lenses on the back of a phone look), it has a bigger screen than the old Plus phones but won't grow too much in size over the standard phones/X, and is aluminium so is light and cheaper. I'd go for a 68% bigger screen area for a small increase in overall size.
If they do it in orange as rumoured, I'm sold.

Else I'll see how much they discount the iPhone 8. Or just keep using my SE for another year.