New iPhones

Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Re: New iPhones

Post by Jobbo »

Rich B wrote: Fri Aug 03, 2018 4:20 pm horses for courses I guess.
Who are you and what have you done with the real Rich B? There's an argument to be continued here!
DaveE

Post by DaveE »

I saw my 11 y/o nephew at the weekend...

"Uncle Dave...?"

"Yes George?"

"Which is better, Android or iPhone?"

"Why do you ask?"

"Because <x> likes Android and my other friends and I prefer iPhone..."

<and so it begins...... again>
Richard

Post by Richard »

Rich B wrote: Fri Aug 03, 2018 4:20 pm
Richard wrote: Fri Aug 03, 2018 2:31 pm
Jobbo wrote: Fri Aug 03, 2018 8:58 am Fingerprint reading seems a much better thing for Apple Pay than Face ID.

I don't mind Face ID in principle; my Surface Pro does it for logging in. The thing I dislike about the X is the notch at the top of the screen.
I’ve used a X since launch

Face ID is much better and faster now since when it launched, and I’m happy to lose the TouchID button in exchange for a full screen. But Jobbo Is Correct, the fingerprint (TouchID) system works significantly better for payments - just thrust phone blindly at machine with thumb covering the button. With FaceID, you double click the power button, show phone your face, then thrust it at the payment machine

FaceID also denies my face much more than TouchID ever did. Probably 10x-20x more often

The notch isn’t a problem at all tho. I never notice it now. It took 2-3 days at the most for it to disappear. Loads of phones use them now too, so it’s becoming the norm
i find the opposite for payment - horses for courses I guess.
I absolutely cannot fathom this
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

ShockDiamonds

Post by ShockDiamonds »

Think I’ll wait for the announcement next month then, and then the release, and either get an X Plus if not ruinously expensive or a current X which will presumably then be a little cheaper. And be (almost) current :)
Richard

Post by Richard »

Benefit of an 8/8Plus over a X - you can get the 8’s in the Product Red colour
ste

Post by ste »

Assumed you were joking then noticed the car in your avatar. :D
Richard

Post by Richard »

It’s a great colour!!
Ascender
Currently Driving: 2019 M2 Competition

Post by Ascender »

I'd like all the iPhone X tech in the size of an iPhone SE or 7 please.
Cheers,

Mike.
DaveE

Post by DaveE »

Ascender wrote: Mon Sep 03, 2018 11:18 am I'd like all the iPhone X tech in the size of an iPhone SE or 7 please.

There was in interesting discussion about the iPhone X not having a bottom bezel where other, cheaper phones do.

Basically, Apple had to wrap the screen back underneath itself so it could connect to the circuit boards etc

It's why the X is a) expensive and b) thicker than previous iPhones.

It'll be interesting to see if they (well, Samsung, their screen supplier) has figured a way around that so you can have a) no bottom bezel and b) a thinner phone again...
Rich B

Post by Rich B »

The X is HALF A MM thicker than a 7!
Ascender

Post by Ascender »

I don't see why that's an unreasonable ask given how technology progresses. Not powering that larger oled screen might be enough to cram all they need in to a 7 case.

I used an SE recently and it felt comically small at first, but I really appreciated the size after a few days of using it. They've suckered me in with each model being slightly bigger to the point where an X seems normal but is huge compared to what I used to like.
Cheers,

Mike.
Rich B

Post by Rich B »

Ascender wrote: Mon Sep 03, 2018 12:07 pm I don't see why that's an unreasonable ask given how technology progresses. Not powering that larger oled screen might be enough to cram all they need in to a 7 case.

I used an SE recently and it felt comically small at first, but I really appreciated the size after a few days of using it. They've suckered me in with each model being slightly bigger to the point where an X seems normal but is huge compared to what I used to like.
i have an X and a 6S, there’s hardly any difference in size in real life.
tim

Post by tim »

Does faceid work when you've got a crash helmet on? I bet it doesn't. That would be an annoying loss to me, but I'm quite tempted to upgrade my 8+ for whatever comes out later this month despite.
scotta

Post by scotta »

tim wrote: Mon Sep 03, 2018 2:07 pm Does faceid work when you've got a crash helmet on? I bet it doesn't. That would be an annoying loss to me, but I'm quite tempted to upgrade my 8+ for whatever comes out later this month despite.
Not unless you look like a helmet....you should be fine :lol: :lol:
mik

Post by mik »

Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

You enable burka mode in the settings and it just works off your eyes.
How about not having a sig at all?
Orange Cola

Post by Orange Cola »

tim wrote: Mon Sep 03, 2018 2:07 pm Does faceid work when you've got a crash helmet on? I bet it doesn't. That would be an annoying loss to me, but I'm quite tempted to upgrade my 8+ for whatever comes out later this month despite.
A colleague is a Sikh and it works with his head garment on or off, beard short or long and his glasses on or off.
Mustang GT 5.0 V8 -- Jaguar F-Pace
ShockDiamonds

Post by ShockDiamonds »

Announcement next Weds apparently (their usual timing, by all accounts).
Ascender

Post by Ascender »

ShockDiamonds wrote: Sun Sep 09, 2018 9:32 pmAnnouncement next Weds apparently (their usual timing, by all accounts).
Yes, they sent invites out to the press and announced it at the end of August.

Is anyone on the iPhone upgrade programme or do you all just pay for them outright with whatever cash you find down the back of your sofas?
Cheers,

Mike.