New iPhones

ste

Re: New iPhones

Post by ste »

LOL at the tinfoil hats. Cloud will never catch on. :lol: :lol: :lol:
GG. wrote: Thu Nov 29, 2018 9:30 am Yep - iCloud backup is far from ideal for me. None of my apps logged back in and some of them now seem to be completely borked.

Twitter didn’t load tweets until I logged in via their home page rather than the app.

Deliveroo won’t load any restaurants even though I have logged in and out online, reloaded the app, etc. Bit of a shambles really.

On the plus side the new XS is flippin great. Waiting a few years between upgrades definitely makes you appreciate how far the latest tech has come. iPhone 7 to XS feels a little like iPhone 4 to 7 IMO.
Hang on, you had to re-load apps you'd never accessed before on that device and log into them? Sounds unbearable. ;)
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

To get the apps to transfer your passwords you need to use keychain and verify your Apple ID via another device which already has Apple ID. They don’t get transferred automatically.
How about not having a sig at all?
ste

Post by ste »

Which you do when you've got your old phone and your new phone together at the start of the process. New phone recognises old phone, asks you to verify you're going to transfer that profile. Then magic things happen and new phone is backed up from cloud. Old phone asks if you want to transfer passwords via keychain. Yes. Done.

The whole thing from opening the box to heading out to the pub with my new phone in my pocket took about 15 mins. Most of that time was obviously d/loading the backup from the cloud.

Yes I admit there are much more complicated ways to do it and yes if you really want you can backup to your own server and try to update your laptop OS to then get the latest version of iTunes first and then not bother authorising your new phone via key chain etc. They're all valid ways too if you struggle with doing things the easy way and prefer to make stuff difficult.
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

The iCloud set up was a doddle for me. Just put my new phone next to my old phone during set up and once it was done my new phone was exactly the same as my old one.

It’s spooky how easy the set up is these days.
An absolute unit
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Just pointing out to GG that he could have just entered 1 password to retrieve all of his other ones.

Still don’t think iCloud is convenient if you have a substantial amount of data. Downloading data will always be quicker through a physical cable.
IanF
Currently Driving: Ferrari F430 Spider
BMW M4 Comp
Mini Cooper
LR Evoque P300e

Post by IanF »

GG earlier 😉

Cheers,

Ian
Richard

Post by Richard »

Mito Man wrote: Thu Nov 29, 2018 12:04 pm To get the apps to transfer your passwords you need to use keychain and verify your Apple ID via another device which already has Apple ID. They don’t get transferred automatically.
Actually... you don’t need your old device. You just need a way to do 2FA, which they’ll do via text
IanF
BMW M4 Comp
Mini Cooper
LR Evoque P300e

Post by IanF »

I need another phone. iPhone 8, X, XR or XS. What’s the latest deals, the ones on previous page seem to have all expired? I currently have 3 x unlimited data, calls, texts for £17pcm each; Three is offering sim only for £20pcm for same.

I need a new phone, so whatever’s cheapest overall.

Thank you gents
Cheers,

Ian
Foz

Post by Foz »

Finally got the XS MAX after a protracted Black Friday delay, compared to my 6 which I get pretty much on release it’s a significant improvement in every single way.

No complaints so far!
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

I can confirm the resilience of the XR I must’ve dropped mines 100 times already due to it’s amazing ability to slide off of completely flat surfaces.
An absolute unit
IanF
BMW M4 Comp
Mini Cooper
LR Evoque P300e

Post by IanF »

Bought my son a XR for Christmas, will see how long it lasts!

Also, new iPad Pro does Face ID in any orientation- I’m hoping it’s merely an iOS update away for the iPhone.
Cheers,

Ian
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Knowing Apple it’s reserved for the next iPhone. My Face ID seems to be getting less accurate as time goes on. Or maybe it’s telling me that I should stop stuffing my face with food and drink as I’ve changed so much over the festive season :?
Foz

Post by Foz »

Face ID is brilliant so far, picking up the 6 again and it feels old!
mik

Post by mik »

IanF wrote: Sun Dec 23, 2018 10:30 am Also, new iPad Pro does Face ID in any orientation
Back of your head?
DaveE

Post by DaveE »

Foz wrote: Mon Dec 24, 2018 11:34 am Face ID is brilliant so far, picking up the 6 again and it feels old!
It is old.

Over four years old.
Foz

Post by Foz »

:lol:
DaveE wrote: Mon Dec 24, 2018 7:00 pm
Foz wrote: Mon Dec 24, 2018 11:34 am Face ID is brilliant so far, picking up the 6 again and it feels old!
It is old.

Over four years old.
scotta

Post by scotta »

DaveE wrote: Mon Dec 24, 2018 7:00 pm
It is old.

Over four years old.
Ive still got a 6. I’m too tight to upgrade yet.
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

I’ve had a couple of weeks with my iPhone 7 now and I’m quite impressed.

Thumb print id is much faster than my iPad. The battery lasts all day with no issue and it charges much quicker than my 4S did.

The screen is great with no screen protector on, every screen protector I’ve seen looks crap to my eyes so I hope the screen holds up.

It updated from iCloud seemlessly which impressed me, considering it was from a 4S I was thinking there would be some niggles.

BUT, it’s a bit too big for my front pockets when I sit down (possibly the reason hellish wankers pop their phones on the table whenever they sit down) and it feels pretty cheap compared to the tank like 4S.

Overall I’m pretty pleased but I just hope I get a few years out of it.

It has made my works Samsung Xcover 4 look a bit silly and clunky in comparison.

Dave!
ste

Post by ste »

V8Granite wrote: Sat Jan 19, 2019 11:01 am BUT, it’s a bit too big for my front pockets when I sit down (possibly the reason hellish wankers pop their phones on the table whenever they sit down) and it feels pretty cheap compared to the tank like 4S.
4S is a great phone. I have mine in the garage as a remote for the music in there and it's an absolutely solid, quality little thing. 8-)
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

I swapped my iPhone 7 for an XS today. I had been pondering an XR but in the flesh it was just a bit bigger than I wanted, and the XS screen being OLED is noticeably nicer. The Apple store price-matched Argos on the XS (saving £150) and Apple are doing enhanced trade-ins currently so I got £245 for the old phone, around £50 more than I'd get elsewhere.

The one thing I thought I was going to dislike was the lack of a home button but it's uncanny how easily you adapt within moments and don't miss it. Face ID has been seamless too. Setting up has been easy enough; I decided not to restore from previous backups because they originate from my first iPhone, 11 years ago, and I fancied a fresh start. Just logging in with Apple ID brought up all my passwords and I simply downloaded the apps I wanted rather than everything which had accumulated over the years. Easy.