New iPhones

Simon

Re: New iPhones

Post by Simon »

My work 6 is horrendously slow with Ios12, and I barely use it. Don't have loads of crap and apps on it but it's barely usable for some reason. Time for a new one soon I think.
The artist formerly known as _Who_
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Yep all my apps loaded pretty much instantly on my 7 so what speed improvement there is must be imperceptible. But then again I only have simple boring apps and don’t bother to play shit like Skyrim which would make a big difference. Still, should be faster when rendering videos from my drone when I bother to get it out next.

I keep comparing the screens between the 7+ and XS max and they both look the same to me sharpness wise apart from the OLED has warmer colours and is less blue - bit like you have 25% of night mode on. Again that’s the main difference I can see on the camera, but then all my old 7+ photos look the same now because it’s more the screen changing the colours than the camera. Would have look at both pictures from both through a 4K monitor to notice the true difference but who has time for that.

Easy enough getting used to not having a home button but I’m not sure flicking the screen up is a better solution, over say sticking a home button on the side. Also the lack of symmetry over the bottom speaker holes annoys my OCD.
How about not having a sig at all?
Ascender
Currently Driving: 2019 M2 Competition

Post by Ascender »

The OLED screen shines in comparison when playing video, so if you use your phone for a lot of that then it’s maybe a worthwhile upgrade over your old phone or even the forthcoming XR. I don’t think the majority of users will notice any difference between the screens in daily use.

I’ve just put iOS 12 on to an old iPad mini and it’s made a huge difference to the speed and responsiveness.
Cheers,

Mike.
JLv3.0

Post by JLv3.0 »

ShockDiamonds wrote: Tue Oct 09, 2018 7:28 am 4 days to go.
WHY HAVE WE NOT BEEN KEPT UP TO DATE ON THIS ABSOLUTELY LIFE-CRITICAL PURCHASE?!!
Richard

Post by Richard »

Simon wrote: Sat Oct 13, 2018 7:12 pm My work 6 is horrendously slow with Ios12, and I barely use it. Don't have loads of crap and apps on it but it's barely usable for some reason. Time for a new one soon I think.
Is your battery shagged?

Settings > Battery > Battery Health

If that’s all ok, maybe a factory reset and restore?
ShockDiamonds

Post by ShockDiamonds »

JLv3.0 wrote: Mon Oct 15, 2018 11:20 am
ShockDiamonds wrote: Tue Oct 09, 2018 7:28 am 4 days to go.
WHY HAVE WE NOT BEEN KEPT UP TO DATE ON THIS ABSOLUTELY LIFE-CRITICAL PURCHASE?!!
Apple vs Google.
iMessage wins.

1 to 2 week’s delivery, XS Max.
I’ll put up a website which does a countdown for you.
Richard

Post by Richard »

iMessage!?!?

Doesn’t everyone just use WhatsApp??
JLv3.0

Post by JLv3.0 »

Not Shockers - he's too rich. You wouldn't understand.
ShockDiamonds

Post by ShockDiamonds »

JLv3.0 wrote: Mon Oct 15, 2018 7:31 pm Not Shockers - he's too rich. You wouldn't understand.
A good deal richer now I won’t be paying Vodafone 20% more for the same deal.
Simon

Post by Simon »

Interesting. For the last 3-4 years I've found Voda a fair bit cheaper than anyone else for my usage (excluding '3' who the O/H uses, but I don't like dealing with their overseas call-centre).
The artist formerly known as _Who_
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

After some hard negotiation with my favoured dealer (the person on the other end of the online chat on O2’s website) I got myself an iPhone XR over the weekend.

It’s quite good. The facial recognition thing is pretty unobtrusive and the spooky set up process means it all just worked about 20 mins after I first turned it on.

Only downsides are that it’s substantially bigger and heavier than the phone I had before, to the point that it doesn’t fit in my pocket properly and they don’t give you a lightning to 3.5mm adaptor so I’m stuck using the shite earphones from the box this morning.

Would it kill phone makers to put a decent set of earphones in with their incredibly expensive phone?
An absolute unit
Foz

Post by Foz »

I was all set to get an XR until i popped into my local preferred Apple store, and picked up the XS MAX :lol:

I personally Hope the XR2i model is released soon and is another incremental improvement!
mik

Post by mik »

Mrs mik took delivery of an Xs Max yesterday.

I am travelling but I believe she has already accidentally locked herself out of her appleID during setup. Awesume.
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

Two reasons I fancy an XR: the bigger screen and the bigger battery. Two reasons I'm unsure: the bigger size and the face recognition (I like the fingerprint method, particularly when the phone is lying on the desk an arm-stretch away). So I'm not swapping yet.
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

The battery life is amazing compared to the 6S I was using before. I was using it my usual amount (basically glued to it) and only needed to charge it twice between Friday and Monday.
An absolute unit
ste

Post by ste »

I walked into the Apple Store to buy an XR. Then I picked one up and it felt quite bulky and heavy. Screen was perfectly adequate though IMO. Killer for me was the physical size of it, just slightly too large. Ended up getting an XS. Have been quite pleased with it, although swapping between screens just isn't as good as the finger print home menu and in loads of scenarios face recognition isn't as good as fingerprint IMO. eg phone in cradle in car, I have to tap the screen and arch my face over to the phone and it still rarely unlocks. Also couldn't unlock it in the pitlane on track to turn my GoPro on when I had my helmet on. :D
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

The size and weight is the biggest problem I have with it tbh. It's slightly too big for the pockets of my trousers so I'm a bit paranoid of it sliding out when I'm sitting down. It's also a noticeable weight in your pocket when you're walking around. I'll probably get used to it but it might've put me off if I'd actually held one before ordering.
An absolute unit
tim

Post by tim »

Jobbo wrote: Tue Nov 20, 2018 9:14 am Two reasons I fancy an XR: the bigger screen and the bigger battery. Two reasons I'm unsure: the bigger size and the face recognition (I like the fingerprint method, particularly when the phone is lying on the desk an arm-stretch away). So I'm not swapping yet.
I was a massive sceptic of face Id, but in reality it's pretty seamless and impressively quick even in dodgy light.
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

tim wrote: Tue Nov 20, 2018 9:46 am
Jobbo wrote: Tue Nov 20, 2018 9:14 am Two reasons I fancy an XR: the bigger screen and the bigger battery. Two reasons I'm unsure: the bigger size and the face recognition (I like the fingerprint method, particularly when the phone is lying on the desk an arm-stretch away). So I'm not swapping yet.
I was a massive sceptic of face Id, but in reality it's pretty seamless and impressively quick even in dodgy light.
What about in the situations Ste described?
Foz

Post by Foz »

Unless it works in RACECAR with helmet on I am not interested :(