New iPhones

GG.

Re: New iPhones

Post by GG. »

Rich B wrote: Sun Oct 13, 2019 1:35 pm My X is 87% after 2 years. I think that’s alright tbh.
Not bad - mine is 88% after only a year. I stick it on the wireless charging pad on my desk continuously though which clearly is zapping the battery faster than would otherwise be the case. As it is only on a 2 year deal however, its probably not going to drop to an annoying level before I replace it.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

It’s a bloody lie, when new my XS Max lasted close to 1.5 days. My screen time hasn’t changed but the battery is pretty much fully depleted by the time I’m going to bed now despite the health stating it’s at 94%
How about not having a sig at all?
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

The battery life on my XS was great until iOS 13 came along. It’s been getting better again recently though. I’m sure updates to a wholly new iOS improve things.
ShockDiamonds

Post by ShockDiamonds »

XS Max here, only ever charge it when it's at 1% or dead, and at 13 months old battery health is 100%. Seems to still easily go 2 days with a bit of music use, a little surfing, the odd call, texts and plenty of Facebook/Facebook Messenger across those 48 hours.
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

Holy thread resurrection!

Nothing much interesting has happened in the world of phones for a while, so I've not seen any reason to change. But last week my work announced that they're upgrading everyone's iPhone 6's to iPhone 13's. Then yesterday my 4-5 year old iPhone X finally decided to revolt and stop accepting any charge via the port. It's been getting worse on battery recently anyway so I think it's time to go - even though I can still charge it via wireless.

So I've ordered a 13 mini. I quite like the sound of a slightly smaller phone again, and it seems to have all the same features of the bigger one. But more importantly I'll be able to see at a glance which one I've grabbed each day.

Hopefully the 13's aren't shit, because I now have 2 of them for the foreseeable future!
scotta

Post by scotta »

Rich B wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 4:18 pm Holy thread resurrection!

Nothing much interesting has happened in the world of phones for a while, so I've not seen any reason to change. But last week my work announced that they're upgrading everyone's iPhone 6's to iPhone 13's. Then yesterday my 4-5 year old iPhone X finally decided to revolt and stop accepting any charge via the port. It's been getting worse on battery recently anyway so I think it's time to go - even though I can still charge it via wireless.

So I've ordered a 13 mini. I quite like the sound of a slightly smaller phone again, and it seems to have all the same features of the bigger one. But more importantly I'll be able to see at a glance which one I've grabbed each day.

Hopefully the 13's aren't shit, because I now have 2 of them for the foreseeable future!
Im sure a man of your sound mental capacity has already tried this...but...have you tried cleaning the bottom port? the contacts can get filthy and full of fluff. Use something non metal obvs.
Brannen

Post by Brannen »

I upgraded my old XS last year to the 13 pro as the battery was only lasting just over half a day, was constantly needing to be charged up it felt like. Traded it in and got a couple hundred pounds off the new one. I really like the 13 pro. Battery is really good, screen having 120hz capability is a bit strange at first, but decent nonetheless. Biggest improvement was the cameras though, massively improved over the old ones.

From what I've seen on the minis, the 12's battery life was meant to be terrible. The 13 mini is meant to be way better. Should be a decent upgrade over the X.
Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

What a coincidence. I got a bit annoyed with my XS recently; it only connects to Carplay if I plug it in with the lightning lead one way round (and it's the phone's fault, not the lead's, because I've tried other cables) and when our work internet connection went down this week I realised my cellular iPad had 3 bars of signal and could carry on a Zoom call, whereas my phone had only one and didn't load anything at all. Found a decent deal on an iPhone 13 Pro - in as much as any deal is OK on a phone which is this overpriced - worked out as paying RRP for the phone plus just over £6 a month for the 24month contract (unlimited calls, texts and data on Vodafone, the max package so not throttled). I wanted the better camera and slightly better battery life of the Pro but now it's arrived, it's heavy and possibly should have just gone for the normal 13. I'll make use of the camera though so won't swap it.

Scott, I've cleaned my ports for years; it seems that the Lightning port conductors aren't actually as resilient as I initially thought. Roll on the portless iPhone. Might get a Magsafe charger actually...
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

scotta wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 4:36 pm
Rich B wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 4:18 pm Holy thread resurrection!

Im sure a man of your sound mental capacity has already tried this...but...have you tried cleaning the bottom port? the contacts can get filthy and full of fluff. Use something non metal obvs.
yep, regularly, including at midnight last night when I just wanted to go to bed but was getting pissed off that it wouldn't fucking charge!
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

I’m having the no charging problem already on my iPhone 12 after a year :roll:
On the old ones you could clean the fluff out and they’d work again for a good while but the newer ones it seems like the charging port is actually shite. I’m guessing they’re coated in such a minute layer of conductive material which just wears off with use…
How about not having a sig at all?
Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

There are actual metal conductors in the port; I had a good nose at mine wondering why it only worked one way up. I still have an iPad Mini Retina from around 2013 to compare an early lightning port so I’ll dig that out later. That does seem to have a decent connection after all these years, or did when I last used it anyway 😄
Simon

Post by Simon »

Soak a cocktail stick in contact cleaner and use that to clean the port. It'll take a few goes. It's how I cleaned up Deb's phone port when it started being temperamental with charging.
The artist formerly known as _Who_
Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

I'm very impressed with the camera on the iPhone 13 Pro, could happily live without the 120Hz Promotion (which I really like on the iPad Pro so it's not as if it's novel to me - just seems pretty pointless on a phone-sized screen) and it's a bit heavier and bulkier than the XS which is slightly annoying. The square sides make it feel bigger than it is and the three camera lens project a long way from the rear so it doesn't sit flat; the Apple case I have on it has a solid projecting flange to protect the lenses that feels like they still touch the desk when I put it down but actually it's just the plastic edge of the case making a noise. Disconcerting. The 13 also has a projecting flange on the case so it's not something you can avoid with this generation of iPhones though, and the camera quality probably makes it worthwhile.

Anyway, I'd have been very happy with a 13 rather than a Pro. Will have to take lots of telephoto photos to make use of the one substantive difference.
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

The weight of my 12 Pro took some getting used to but it soon became natural

I’ve gone with 3 individual lens covers, rather than a cover plate or similar (although even then, they’re recessed in my Spigen Case)
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…