Lego

Orange Cola

Re: Lego

Post by Orange Cola »

RobYob wrote: Fri Dec 13, 2019 6:35 am
Orange Cola wrote: Fri Dec 13, 2019 4:52 am Megablock aren’t trying to rip Lego off like Lepin are, the Lepin products are inferior and come from questionable production practices. It could probably be argued Lepin are hurting Megablock too...
To clarify, "Lepin" is a convenient term for a dozen or more block brands coming from China. Some brands are much better than others for quality.

The sets I linked originally and the sets I buy myself aren't ripoffs. The only way to create them with Lego is to break up other sets or bricklink.

In my experience the sets are not inferior, with the caveat that you have to do your research.

You'll have to elaborate on questionable production practices.
Lepin is a trading ‘brand’ and it moves its various production sites from area to area whenever they’re rumbled, you aren’t confusing that as a number of brands are you? They are well covered in the media if you want a google.

Brick link is also not to be confused here, the parts originated from Lego sets and is a great source for genuine spares.
Mustang GT 5.0 V8 -- Jaguar F-Pace
RobYob

Post by RobYob »

Orange Cola wrote: Fri Dec 13, 2019 11:31 am
RobYob wrote: Fri Dec 13, 2019 6:35 am
Orange Cola wrote: Fri Dec 13, 2019 4:52 am Megablock aren’t trying to rip Lego off like Lepin are, the Lepin products are inferior and come from questionable production practices. It could probably be argued Lepin are hurting Megablock too...
To clarify, "Lepin" is a convenient term for a dozen or more block brands coming from China. Some brands are much better than others for quality.

The sets I linked originally and the sets I buy myself aren't ripoffs. The only way to create them with Lego is to break up other sets or bricklink.

In my experience the sets are not inferior, with the caveat that you have to do your research.

You'll have to elaborate on questionable production practices.
Lepin is a trading ‘brand’ and it moves its various production sites from area to area whenever they’re rumbled, you aren’t confusing that as a number of brands are you? They are well covered in the media if you want a google.

Brick link is also not to be confused here, the parts originated from Lego sets and is a great source for genuine spares.
You may want to google "Lepin" as after the raids that "brand" no longer exists and as convienient a quick reference as it is, it's not accurate in describing the multitude of different brick suppliers that aren't Lego like Cada, Mould King, Jack, Decool, Sluban, SY, Sembo, etc. These aren't all coming from the same supplier and they're not necessarily all from China either.

I'm not confusing Bricklink with Lepin.
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

Had to get my favourite rally car as soon as it came out (ordered about 11pm on 31 December), but only had time to build it tonight.
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

Must be one of the best yet 8-)
Cheers, Harry
Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

It is more accurately proportioned than previous Speed Champions sets, but it feels far too wide for a Lego car. Love it though.
mik

Post by mik »

How TF does lego - essentially square blocks - end up with rounded arch blisters on a sport quatty? :?
Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

mik wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 10:01 pm How TF does lego - essentially square blocks - end up with rounded arch blisters on a sport quatty? :?
They’re on top of the box arches, but I guess the moulded arch pieces are the only way to create the wheel aperture ☹️
jamcg

Post by jamcg »

Jobbo wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 9:58 pm It is more accurately proportioned than previous Speed Champions sets, but it feels far too wide for a Lego car. Love it though.
All speed champions are now 8 studs wide from the old 6 wide
DaveE

Post by DaveE »

For the first time ever (I think) I'm seriously tempted by that Quattro

(I have no idea where I'd put it, or what I'd do with it, but the want is very strong)
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

I'm sure I've said it before, but I like most of the speed champion models because they look like LEGO trying to look like a car, instead of trying to be too fancy and end up looking a mess.

I got the 930 turbo for Christmas and love it. Sure the proportions are a bit out, but it looks cool and is instantly recognisable.
Cheers, Harry
Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

jamcg wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 10:24 pm
Jobbo wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 9:58 pm It is more accurately proportioned than previous Speed Champions sets, but it feels far too wide for a Lego car. Love it though.
All speed champions are now 8 studs wide from the old 6 wide
I know, and most look wrong - they’re generally a bit tall and the wheels look too small. The Jag iPace is particularly bad.
Gavin
Currently Driving: Skoda Superb, R56 Cooper S

Post by Gavin »

My mini-me got the Mini racing set and the original 1967 Mini is surprisingly realistic which is amazing given the front and rear screens are identical.

Still not finished the Falcon... :roll:
Barry

Post by Barry »

I've got two Quattro on this month's order. I had a few other things but cancelled everything else. 8-)
Zonda_

Post by Zonda_ »

Jobbo wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 8:16 pm Had to get my favourite rally car as soon as it came out (ordered about 11pm on 31 December), but only had time to build it tonight.
How big is it? Difficult to tell in your pics. I’m tempted but would want to be able to display it.
Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

Have you got any Speed Champions sets already? It’s a similar length to the existing ones, but two studs wider and a little taller. It’s not as big as a Bburago model but not far off.
Zonda_

Post by Zonda_ »

Jobbo wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 12:01 pm Have you got any Speed Champions sets already? It’s a similar length to the existing ones, but two studs wider and a little taller. It’s not as big as a Bburago model but not far off.
Nope and the dimensions quoted on amazon say it’s 0.3cm long! So it’s pretty sizeable then, I was thinking it was the size you got free with petrol a few years back.
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

Around 1:22 scale at a rough guess. Slightly bigger than a 1:24 plastic kit, but quite a bit smaller than a 1:18 bburago or similar.
Cheers, Harry
Barry

Post by Barry »

Think about six inches roughly in length, big enough to display on shelves. I know this as mine all full up an entire window currently. 😂
Zonda_

Post by Zonda_ »

Bah, 2 months delivery on Amazon and a fortune on ebay.
Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

Bburago doesn’t ever get dusted but here’s a direct comparison: