Lego

RobYob

Re: Lego

Post by RobYob »

That crane is amazing, I wonder how many catastrophic failures he had before getting the design to that level.

Any opinions on the Lepin knock offs?

Mate of mine has the UCS Falcon copy and said he was impressed by the quality. I think I personally draw the line at something that is still for sale by Lego but some of the retired sets that now bring stupid money on eBay are tempting.
Orange Cola

Post by Orange Cola »

What the fuck? I knew Lego had lost the court case meaning they weren't able to protect their bricks any more but that Lepin stuff is unreal, how do they get away with that?!

Spotted a few sets on there I'd be tempted by if the quality is up to the same standard.
Mustang GT 5.0 V8 -- Jaguar F-Pace
RobYob

Post by RobYob »

Coz China.
Lego have won court cases against Lepin and are in the process of sueing them again but no idea if they'll ever make an impact.

And looking a bit more you can't argue they don't fill a niche.

GT3 model in white
ooh yeah.
That link is to a recommended seller via Reddit I haven't bought anything yet myself.
Orange Cola

Post by Orange Cola »

RobYob wrote: Tue Sep 04, 2018 10:27 pm Coz China.
Lego have won court cases against Lepin and are in the process of sueing them again but no idea if they'll ever make an impact.

And looking a bit more you can't argue they don't fill a niche.

GT3 model in white
ooh yeah.
That link is to a recommended seller via Reddit I haven't bought anything yet myself.
I can see why Lego chose orange for the 911 now, it's gappy as hell :lol:

I read some reviews last night which basically said you need to be prepared to filter out the dodgy melded parts and replace them yourself.
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

Has anyone else been spammed with links to half price sets (Chiron, Creater rollercoaster etc) at Legoengland.com? It's a very blatant rip-off of Lego's own site, including the ability to log in which looks uncannily close to the real thing and probably fools people. Best case, you'll receive a Chinese knock-off copy which is not worth half the price of real Lego; worst case, they'll have phished your login details. Avoid!!
Simon

Post by Simon »

Jobbo wrote: Thu Sep 06, 2018 10:49 am Has anyone else been spammed with links to half price sets (Chiron, Creater rollercoaster etc) at Legoengland.com? It's a very blatant rip-off of Lego's own site, including the ability to log in which looks uncannily close to the real thing and probably fools people. Best case, you'll receive a Chinese knock-off copy which is not worth half the price of real Lego; worst case, they'll have phished your login details. Avoid!!
Not resolving here. Are you sure that domain is correct?

Can you pass me the details if that is the case? I'll pass it onto someone...
The artist formerly known as _Who_
Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

I think (hope) it's been closed down as quickly as it appeared. Hoorah. But the fact that it was all over Facebook's ads (not just links posted by people) seemed to make people think it was real, and there are bound to be others. If it's too good to be true, it's probably a scam.
Orange Cola

Post by Orange Cola »

Jobbo wrote: Thu Sep 06, 2018 1:00 pm I think (hope) it's been closed down as quickly as it appeared. Hoorah. But the fact that it was all over Facebook's ads (not just links posted by people) seemed to make people think it was real, and there are bound to be others. If it's too good to be true, it's probably a scam.
I was getting shit loads of it too.
Orange Cola

Post by Orange Cola »

I want the Chiron because IMO it's the best successor yet to the original 8880 supercar, something a school friend had and which I've wanted for a couple of decades now. The 8880 has 4 wheel drive, a working 4 speed gearbox, 4 wheel steer, a V8 engine, hidden hand of God steering, a working steering wheel and pop up headlights 8-) It's as mechanically and technically close to a full size car as Lego have ever managed to get. And it's supposed to be a cracker to build.

The Chiron has all of that except for the 4WS and pop up head lights. It would be amazingly cool to have both models but with 8880 prices going through the roof it wasn't going to happen. Or so I thought :D I just bought an 8880 which hasn't been sat in direct sunlight so the colours and stickers are in very good condition, it also comes with the instructions and box which are in decent condition too, but not completely A1 and all for the same price as rather incomplete (60%-70%) 8880's for sale with no box and instructions and faded parts. Collecting it soon, can't wait :D 8-)
Alex_

Post by Alex_ »

The Chiron looks great, much better than the GT3 RS. I'm waiting for a big price drop before buying one. The GT3 RS was £130 at Argos a few weeks ago.
M235i
Orange Cola

Post by Orange Cola »

Alex_ wrote: Sun Sep 09, 2018 11:41 am The Chiron looks great, much better than the GT3 RS. I'm waiting for a big price drop before buying one. The GT3 RS was £130 at Argos a few weeks ago.
I'm waiting for the same, unless Lego decide to really limit supply. I doubt it'll get below £200 though.
ShockDiamonds

Post by ShockDiamonds »

I'm now 'banned' from buying the Chiron set - wife getting it for me for Christmas apparently #longwait
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

In Person the Chiron doesn’t look right so I hope it has the technical specialness of the GT3.

I have an 8880 in the loft 3/4 finished. A well played with toy which was a joint Christmas/ birthday present from memory.

Dave!
ShockDiamonds

Post by ShockDiamonds »

V8Granite wrote: Mon Sep 10, 2018 8:35 am In Person the Chiron doesn’t look right so I hope it has the technical specialness of the GT3.
Had a look at one in the Lego shop in Copenhagen (the only one in the entire country, apparently) and it looks ok in the plastic.
Orange Cola

Post by Orange Cola »

V8Granite wrote: Mon Sep 10, 2018 8:35 am In Person the Chiron doesn’t look right so I hope it has the technical specialness of the GT3.

I have an 8880 in the loft 3/4 finished. A well played with toy which was a joint Christmas/ birthday present from memory.

Dave!
And the GT3 looks better with its dodgy gearbox? :(
Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

The Technic Chiron is now under £250 at John Lewis and Amazon. That's on a par with most of the discounts for the GT3 (25%), so unless you want to hold out for a run-out deal like the virtually zero stock Argos £129 GT3, you'll wait a while to do significantly better.
Richard

Post by Richard »

https://instagram.com/p/Bnq-A3Fn1aQ/

Took this picture yesterday in the Lego Store - I think it’s fun
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

Orange Cola wrote: Mon Sep 10, 2018 7:04 pm

Dave!
And the GT3 looks better with its dodgy gearbox? :(
Technic Lego has always been about how they make it work while building it to scale imo. Lots of clever ways of getting it to work and keeping it to roughly the same outward dimensions is very clever.

Dave!
ShockDiamonds

Post by ShockDiamonds »

Jobbo wrote: Thu Sep 13, 2018 9:06 am The Technic Chiron is now under £250 at John Lewis and Amazon. That's on a par with most of the discounts for the GT3 (25%), so unless you want to hold out for a run-out deal like the virtually zero stock Argos £129 GT3, you'll wait a while to do significantly better.
Wife has apparently bought me this for Christmas for just under that £250. Will look forward to making loads of mistakes during the build into the New Year.
Orange Cola

Post by Orange Cola »

So I picked up my eBay special Lego 8880 advertised at 100% complete from a seller who sold a lot of Lego with 100% feedback. Took three weeks to build because 10% of the parts were missing and when the seller sent me the missing parts they still left some out.

Never again.

But what a set. To me that’s proper Lego with a good level of concentration required but not difficult. By comparison the brand new set I’m building that’s just been released is a complete doddle.