Lego

Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Re: Lego

Post by Jobbo »

That Quattro Sport S1 is coming, I see - $19.99 so, what, £16.99 or £17.99 over here? I didn't like the first couple of 8-stud wide Speed Champions sets already announced (Jag i-Pace and Lambo Urus) but this really works; the proportions are finally correct rather than comical.

There's a Ferrari F8 Tributo coming in 8-wide format for 2020 too 8-)

ETA: I see they've used the 5-spoke wheeltrims on both the Quattro and F8, in the same way as I modded my 930 Turbo.
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

That is awesome. Can we have a delta one next please, or a decent e30 m3
Cheers, Harry
Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

How about an unconvincing GTR next?

integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

Nope, that's horrible. Flat bits for the front wings where the original if curved, curved at the top of the rear quarters where the real one is square.
Cheers, Harry
Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

I haven't seen a photo of the Lego version from the rear yet, but that image appears to demonstrate they've got the rear lights spectacularly wrong.
Barry

Post by Barry »

I'm glad it's awful tbh, it saves me having to buy one. That Audi is getting bought.
Richard

Post by Richard »

https://amzn.to/35MoSSi

Technics Chiron is only £175 for Black Friday, which according to the Camels is the best price it’s ever been
Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

I always said I’d buy the Chiron when it dipped below £200. But I’ve never built my GT3 so I think it would just be another box, unopened, getting in the way. Shame.
RobYob

Post by RobYob »

The Chiron has never really appealed to me other than the engine. That 917k MOC I've been watching has remained stubornly over £120 for the entirety of the 11/11 and black friday sales along with some poor reviews about missing bits :x

If you can make the time for it I found the GT3 build quite a therapeutic one, the gearbox is lovely the way it comes together.
Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

I built the Mack Anthem a month or so ago; I don’t really find Technic Lego particularly inspiring these days. Builds are very samey and there’s not much to learn from them; until each section comes together it’s hard to relate it to what you’ve already built or the final model.
RobYob

Post by RobYob »

Well if you're up for a real challenge maybe you can be tempted to the dark side 8-)

7800 piece Super Duper Star Destroyer

5000 Empire over Jedha

Both a getting good reviews in the Lepin reddit.
Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

I’m not a fan of Star Wars, and won’t buy Lepin, so that’ll be a no 😄
RobYob

Post by RobYob »

Jobbo wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 8:01 pm I’m not a fan of Star Wars, and won’t buy Lepin, so that’ll be a no 😄
:|

I can understand not buying direct kit knock-offs I have avoided that myself (so-far) but I recon MOCs that Lego will never release themselves are fair game.
Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

It’s not Lego’s own models which mean I object to Lepin, it’s the rip-off copy pieces.
Orange Cola

Post by Orange Cola »

Jobbo wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 8:15 pm It’s not Lego’s own models which mean I object to Lepin, it’s the rip-off copy pieces.
I agree, the bricks themselves are the issue. I’d have no issue if Lepin used or licensed genuine Lego bricks to create their sets.
Mustang GT 5.0 V8 -- Jaguar F-Pace
Barry

Post by Barry »

My Technic Land Rover finally arrived, but the box is hooge so I can't get it home until the next time I happen to take the car to work. :roll:

Will save that for a build over the Xmas break I think, might do the car transporter as well.

Suspect I'll end up ordering that new Batmobile in the new year too, dammit.
RobYob

Post by RobYob »

Orange Cola wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 9:27 pm
Jobbo wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 8:15 pm It’s not Lego’s own models which mean I object to Lepin, it’s the rip-off copy pieces.
I agree, the bricks themselves are the issue. I’d have no issue if Lepin used or licensed genuine Lego bricks to create their sets.
What about licensed Megabloks? Lego have been unsuccessfully sueing them since 1991.

Lego sadly are sinking to Disney levels of legal chicanery to attempt to indefinitely extend patents and copyright. Hardly paragons of creativity these days.

I love Lego and i buy the kids Lego sets far too frequently. But there's no real reason to exclude the competitors from my shopping list.
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

The more LEGO take the piss on their prices the more tempting the cheaper copies become.
Cheers, Harry
Orange Cola

Post by Orange Cola »

RobYob wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 6:16 am
Orange Cola wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 9:27 pm
What about licensed Megabloks? Lego have been unsuccessfully sueing them since 1991.

Lego sadly are sinking to Disney levels of legal chicanery to attempt to indefinitely extend patents and copyright. Hardly paragons of creativity these days.

I love Lego and i buy the kids Lego sets far too frequently. But there's no real reason to exclude the competitors from my shopping list.
I support them, I’ve actually bought megablock kits before, one was a ship and it was awesome. The part quality was also as good as Lego and the kit now resides in parts mixed in with my box of lego parts. Megablock aren’t trying to rip Lego off like Lepin are, the Lepin products are inferior and come from questionable production practices. It could probably be argued Lepin are hurting Megablock too...
Mustang GT 5.0 V8 -- Jaguar F-Pace
RobYob

Post by RobYob »

Orange Cola wrote: Fri Dec 13, 2019 4:52 am Megablock aren’t trying to rip Lego off like Lepin are, the Lepin products are inferior and come from questionable production practices. It could probably be argued Lepin are hurting Megablock too...
To clarify, "Lepin" is a convenient term for a dozen or more block brands coming from China. Some brands are much better than others for quality.

The sets I linked originally and the sets I buy myself aren't ripoffs. The only way to create them with Lego is to break up other sets or bricklink.

In my experience the sets are not inferior, with the caveat that you have to do your research.

You'll have to elaborate on questionable production practices.