Lego

RobYob

Re: Lego

Post by RobYob »

I haven't even got hold of my knock off GT3 yet (six days to go!) and I'm awfully tempted to not bother with the Porsche build and do this MOC instead.

Stratos

Or maybe a knock off white GT3 for Xmas :D
Orange Cola

Post by Orange Cola »

Do the Stratos instead. The Porsche is half finished.
Mustang GT 5.0 V8 -- Jaguar F-Pace
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

The genuine Lego 991 GT3 is £149.99 at Amazon currently. Seems a bit of a deal.
Orange Cola

Post by Orange Cola »

I’ve just finished the off road crane, cracking set 8-)
DaveE

Post by DaveE »

Apparently Smyths toys has taken £110 off the price of the Death Star kit (it's now £300)...
Orange Cola

Post by Orange Cola »

DaveE wrote: Sun Nov 11, 2018 8:22 pm Apparently Smyths toys has taken £110 off the price of the Death Star kit (it's now £300)...
I’ve been banned from buying more as it’s apparently taking over. Need to get a second hand cabinet into the loft so I can store the models (unlike a lot of people I don’t break them down afterwards) and a Death Star would be A. Ma. Zing.

I also keep being asked what I want for Christmas, for a while it’s been “and don’t forget Lego” but recently that’s changed to “no more Lego”. I’m holding out for a Chiron as I pointed out the John Lewis 25% discount a while back 8-)
RobYob

Post by RobYob »

You could always start selling them on. Very cheap. Forum members dibs :D
I'm 2/3rds of he way through my Black GT3 build. Great fun, don't know why I ever stopped playing with building bricks.
Barry

Post by Barry »

Just seen a new Technic version of the Porsche that might tempt some of you..

https://brickset.com/article/39987/larg ... s-revealed
ShockDiamonds

Post by ShockDiamonds »

Barry wrote: Tue Nov 20, 2018 12:11 pm Just seen a new Technic version of the Porsche that might tempt some of you..

https://brickset.com/article/39987/larg ... s-revealed
Doesn't really appeal tbh, I guess in much the same way that I don't want to break-up the existing GT3 and rebuild it.
Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

I'm not convinced about the 911 - it doesn't look as big as the orange GT3 and based on the extra exterior panelwork it's probably quite a bit more simplistic mechanically.

ETA: and the wheels are too small and not bespoke. They look like the sort of alloys GG would like on a Porsche.

Further ETA: the 911 was listed as GT Race Car on a price list back in August at $149.99. It's definitely nowhere near the piece count/complication of the GT3.
RobYob

Post by RobYob »

Jobbo wrote: Tue Nov 20, 2018 3:52 pm I'm not convinced about the 911 - it doesn't look as big as the orange GT3 and based on the extra exterior panelwork it's probably quite a bit more simplistic mechanically.

ETA: and the wheels are too small and not bespoke. They look like the sort of alloys GG would like on a Porsche.

Further ETA: the 911 was listed as GT Race Car on a price list back in August at $149.99. It's definitely nowhere near the piece count/complication of the GT3.
Roof and wheel arch pieces look identical to the GT3RS to me so I doubt the whole model could be any smaller. They could save piece count by simplifying the gearbox though.

It does look even worse than the Orange GT3 original though, I'll pass.
Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

It's 1100 pieces smaller (~1600 as opposed to ~2700) and a couple of inches shorter and narrower. That's why it looks ill-proportioned I guess; the wheelbase is quite a bit shorter than the orange GT3.
RobYob

Post by RobYob »

Some sites are saying no gearbox or steering so that'd be most of the 1100 piece count reduction.
Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

It’s in a similar vein to the 42077 rally car and 42049 LMP car - it’s more about the bodywork than the mechanicals. Which is not how a Technic vehicle should be.

It clearly has steering but not the gearbox. It’s not going to be worth buying for someone with the GT3 except to try to put the bodywork onto the GT3 mechanicals.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Considering the GT3 is rated 16+ and the RSR is simpler and rated 10+ you would maybe just think they’re meant for different markets.
How about not having a sig at all?
DaveE

Post by DaveE »

Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

The Chiron was available for £212.50 on eBay a couple of days ago; one seller at £249.99 and the eBay 15% discount on toys which was available that day only.

I didn't bite; it'll go lower. The GT3 RS got down to £129.99 at Argos.

I did buy a couple of sets in Black Friday deals: the Creator Expect Downtown Diner and Carousel were both reduced at Smyths and if you went and bought them in store, you could use a £10 off £100 spend. Saved £40 on the Downtown Diner and £35 on the Carousel, which isn't to be sniffed at when these sets just don't tend to get discounted at all.
Barry

Post by Barry »

Some new Speed Racer sets coming that appealed to me, the Mini rally one for sure.

https://brickset.com/article/40313/more ... s-revealed!

Our Lego order was put on hold for Xmas period to allow them to deal with actual customers, but that's stopped me buying loads so probably a good thing!
Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

I love the Mini and rather like the Dodge Challenger too. Neither of them suffer the common Speed Champions problem of looking weirdly narrow and elongated.
Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

RobYob wrote: Tue Nov 20, 2018 5:10 pm
Jobbo wrote: Tue Nov 20, 2018 3:52 pm I'm not convinced about the 911 - it doesn't look as big as the orange GT3 and based on the extra exterior panelwork it's probably quite a bit more simplistic mechanically.

Roof and wheel arch pieces look identical to the GT3RS to me so I doubt the whole model could be any smaller. They could save piece count by simplifying the gearbox though.

It does look even worse than the Orange GT3 original though, I'll pass.
They've simplified the whole thing, it seems - there's a chassis with steering, no gearbox, an engine connected almost directly to the diff and that's about it other than bodywork.

Turns out the wheelarch pieces are actually smaller than the GT3 RS despite looking very similar. So it's not possible to buy this and use the bits to make your own white GT3 RS :( Getting good reviews for its looks but I won't be buying it unless it's down below £80 or so.