Lego

unzippy

Re: Lego

Post by unzippy »

I think I've lined up a second hand Chiron - quite excited :D

Looking at the Lambo pics - I'm wondering what's special? Also thought Dom's Charger didn't look very good in the flesh.
The Evo forum really is a shadow of its former self. I remember when the internet was for the elite and now they seem to let any spastic on

IaFG Down Under Division
Orange Cola

Post by Orange Cola »

I would guess it’s not a million miles off the Chiron, just a different engine and ‘body work’ with the rest of the design recycled. I think the Porsche and LeMans racer are done that way too.
Mustang GT 5.0 V8 -- Jaguar F-Pace
jamcg

Post by jamcg »

Orange Cola

Post by Orange Cola »

Oh dear :lol:
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

unzippy wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 12:44 am Looking at the Lambo pics - I'm wondering what's special? Also thought Dom's Charger didn't look very good in the flesh.
I liked the orange GT3 but that was pretty sparse in the bodywork so looked more Lego; the Chiron had better bodywork but I didn't buy it, and the same is going to be true of the Lambo. I do like the Defender, though, and that's half the RRP of the supercars.

The big thing with each of them is the unique wheels, isn't it?
Orange Cola

Post by Orange Cola »

It's a lot of extra money for unique wheels though, even when you take into account the high piece count in each set.
Barry

Post by Barry »

I think it's a more cohesive silhouette than the GT3 to be fair, but I'll still struggle to justify the expense of it. I think it looks quite good.

https://www.brothers-brick.com/2020/05/ ... ssion=true
RobYob

Post by RobYob »

Orange Cola wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 8:32 am I would guess it’s not a million miles off the Chiron, just a different engine and ‘body work’ with the rest of the design recycled. I think the Porsche and LeMans racer are done that way too.
The GT3 and the LeMans 919 (I think it's closely related to the Lego V8 one) I have are different in scale and quite different structures,the racer doesn't have a gearbox so is hundreds of pieces fewer than the GT3. If you mean the 911 RSR I don't have one but the doors and side structure are completely different externally.

Pic of when my mate brought his Lego RSR along to sit with my models.

That new Lambo looks really cool apart from the colour, hopefully it's better IRL. Are those angled arch pieces on the bonnet new? Can't wait to see what the MOCers make with them.

This GT40 MOC is pretty cool already but the front headlights aren't quite right.
linky
unzippy

Post by unzippy »

Jobbo wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 10:18 am
unzippy wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 12:44 am Looking at the Lambo pics - I'm wondering what's special? Also thought Dom's Charger didn't look very good in the flesh.
I liked the orange GT3 but that was pretty sparse in the bodywork so looked more Lego; the Chiron had better bodywork but I didn't buy it, and the same is going to be true of the Lambo. I do like the Defender, though, and that's half the RRP of the supercars.

With the Chiron I thought the main feature was the 8sp (and reverse) gearbox.

Technic lego shouldn't be about bling wheels.
The Evo forum really is a shadow of its former self. I remember when the internet was for the elite and now they seem to let any spastic on

IaFG Down Under Division
Orange Cola

Post by Orange Cola »

RobYob wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 1:41 pm
Orange Cola wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 8:32 am I would guess it’s not a million miles off the Chiron, just a different engine and ‘body work’ with the rest of the design recycled. I think the Porsche and LeMans racer are done that way too.
The GT3 and the LeMans 919 (I think it's closely related to the Lego V8 one) I have are different in scale and quite different structures,the racer doesn't have a gearbox so is hundreds of pieces fewer than the GT3. If you mean the 911 RSR I don't have one but the doors and side structure are completely different externally.
It’s the same as the RSR, obviously the body is different.
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

unzippy wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 1:57 am

The Chiron's gearbox was just made out of normal Technic parts (well, they introduced the new synchro rings and wave selector, but they are generic and have been re-used in things like the Defender). The unique bits in each of these sets have been the wheels, and the colours used for the panels: http://www.newelementary.com/2018/06/le ... parts.html

Unless you're particularly keen to build an MOC in a particular colour, the wheels are the obvious differentiator and don't seem to get re-used in any other sets.
Alex_

Post by Alex_ »

The Lambo set is £350! :shock:
M235i
Alex_

Post by Alex_ »

You can order the Ducati on Monday. One of the best looking technic models in a while.
M235i
Orange Cola

Post by Orange Cola »

Alex_ wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 11:34 am The Lambo set is £350! :shock:
Jesus. £250 would hurt for that!
RobYob

Post by RobYob »

Beany

Post by Beany »

RobYob wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 1:18 pm Mad. 8-)
Ok, that's awesome
Zonda_

Post by Zonda_ »

Alex_ wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 11:35 am You can order the Ducati on Monday. One of the best looking technic models in a while.
It seems a bargain at £55 compared to the bonkers prices of some of the sets.
unzippy

Post by unzippy »

Jobbo wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 9:58 am
unzippy wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 1:57 am

The Chiron's gearbox was just made out of normal Technic parts (well, they introduced the new synchro rings and wave selector, but they are generic and have been re-used in things like the Defender). The unique bits in each of these sets have been the wheels, and the colours used for the panels: http://www.newelementary.com/2018/06/le ... parts.html

Unless you're particularly keen to build an MOC in a particular colour, the wheels are the obvious differentiator and don't seem to get re-used in any other sets.
I was meaning more that each "flagship" Technic model should offer something new that is not just some bling wheels. It shoulds be a technical advancement such as the Bugatti gearbox, the app control on the Liebherr, pneumatics, motors, robotics etc.

IaFG Down Under Division
unzippy

Post by unzippy »

unzippy wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 12:44 am I think I've lined up a second hand Chiron - quite excited :D
It fell through :evil:

I ended up rage buying 2 new ones off Amazon 🙄😄

IaFG Down Under Division
Orange Cola

Post by Orange Cola »

No bad thing as long as you can safely store one of them.