Elite Dangerous

duncs500

Re: Elite Dangerous

Post by duncs500 »

duncs500 wrote: Mon May 28, 2018 9:24 pm
As for the fuel scoop, yeah that's a killer for me, I've got a 2A and it's pretty painfully slow. Presume it would be possible for me to get a 4A, but I would have to sacrifice something too important.
Well I realised that given 90% of the passenger missions I do are three or less passengers I should store the second passenger module and replace it with a 4A fuel scoop. Much better, I can now just quickly top up after each jump. I've also stored all my weapons, I never use them so might as well have that bit of extra jump range. 60m credits in the bank so far.

This weekend is the first time I've played since the update, strange thing is it seems I am seeing a lot more human players than I used to, why would that be? At my 'home' station they seem to be there crashing around and getting destroyed by the station defences. Used to only see the odd person (I'm guessing) around every 4-5hrs of game time.
RobYob

Post by RobYob »

If you're able to find passengers missions that "stack" ie. some or all of each groups' destinations are the same then more cabins come in handy.

Hence for a while my Python being nothing but passenger cabins for the infamous Robigo-Sothis atmospherics run, all the passengers from one station want to go to the same destination every time, easy to make money although it wears thin after a few runs.

This week I joined the 0%ers (and lived!)

And headed back to Guardian space for some archaelogy and materials to get the Guardian tech upgrades (10LY jump boost here i come!)
tim

Post by tim »

I just pipped the 50 mil point in my Type 7 trucking about for one of the Sha Gigas factions. Now I'm allied with them I'm getting 10-15 mil missions, which are pretty easy to pick off in 2-3 runs with a 300 ton cargo hold.

I don't bother with shields or weapons in that because I've not once lost the interdiction mini-game.

I've also kitted out my Viper MkIV for some pirating/bounty hunting action, but then realised I'm shit at it, so I might just trade that in for something enormous when I can.
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

Gah! I thought that passenger missions was a decent money spinner, but maybe I need to get a big cargo ship! I just don't like the thought of spending a fortune on a ship and then I can't make the business work efficiently and have basically thrown the money away. I was considering the Asp Explorer for the jump range to make passenger missions quicker, but in the end I thought better of it.

Would you believe that I've never died yet? I don't really know what happens although I'm sure it's not very interesting. :D
tim

Post by tim »

you get 90% of the value back when you trade in for another ship, or you can always store all the modules and re-use the ones you can on the new ship and sell the others (100% return) so there's no great loss in giving it a go.
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

tim wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 7:24 am you get 90% of the value back when you trade in for another ship, or you can always store all the modules and re-use the ones you can on the new ship and sell the others (100% return) so there's no great loss in giving it a go.
Interesting. What's the jump range on yours?
tim

Post by tim »

27.6 unladen, 16 fully loaded. It's A rated except for thrusters (B) and power plant (C) though.
RobYob

Post by RobYob »

If you find a big lucrative wing cargo mission I'd be up for some hauling on my Python. Can get 250tonnes 23LY. Good for a break from Robigo runs.

Can afford a Cargo 'Conda just but with only a pittance left over for the important rebuys.

If you don't want to wing up in open I'm in the PVE only Mobius group too. To be fair though away from CG's open is safe 99.999% of the time.
RobYob

Post by RobYob »

duncs500 wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 6:48 am I was considering the Asp Explorer for the jump range to make passenger missions quicker, but in the end I thought better of it.

Would you believe that I've never died yet? I don't really know what happens although I'm sure it's not very interesting. :D
6-7 economy cabins in that AspX, join the Robigo bus drivers and make 50-70M/hr if all you want is cash.

Buy a Conda at the end of the evening then go explore the universe.

Dying is fine if you have rebuys, annoying that you lose data and any NPC pilots though.
tim

Post by tim »

I just had a quick look at the passenger mission board - 640 jumps *each way* to do one route to earn when I just did in 4, 1 jump trips ferrying superconductors. Um no ta!
RobYob

Post by RobYob »

The time X risk Vs reward for a lot of missions is totally screwed.

You see Cargo runs to Colonial paying laughably small amounts considering the difficulty.
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

RobYob wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 11:48 am
duncs500 wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 6:48 am I was considering the Asp Explorer for the jump range to make passenger missions quicker, but in the end I thought better of it.

6-7 economy cabins in that AspX, join the Robigo bus drivers and make 50-70M/hr if all you want is cash.

Buy a Conda at the end of the evening then go explore the universe.

Dying is fine if you have rebuys, annoying that you lose data and any NPC pilots though.
This sounds good to me, what's Robigo?
ilmostro

Post by ilmostro »

duncs500 wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 5:00 pm
Robigo Mines was a cash cow a while back, before it was nerfed. You could stack 99 smuggling missions (slaves mostly!) and earn a good payout. Fun too, getting chased by the cops for 400 LY. But sadly some folks didn't think it was in the spirit of the game (grinding) :x
RobYob

Post by RobYob »

ilmostro wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 5:35 pm
Robigo Mines was a cash cow a while back, before it was nerfed. You could stack 99 smuggling missions (slaves mostly!) and earn a good payout. Fun too, getting chased by the cops for 400 LY. But sadly some folks didn't think it was in the spirit of the game (grinding) :x
Quite sad that what sounds like really cool emergent gameplay got squished. Anyway Robigo Mines now has tourist missions which always go to Sothis Atmospherics so your can fill every passenger cabin you can stuff your ship with and complete them all in a 15min loop. My Python can get about 20Million per run. Grind that and you can make your balance look very healthy.

It's not great gameplay after a while (although better than Smeaton runs!) but lets you save quickly.
ilmostro

Post by ilmostro »

RobYob wrote: Sun Jul 22, 2018 7:48 pm This week I joined the 0%ers (and lived!)
I approve!

RobYob

Post by RobYob »

Annnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn breath! :lol:

Elite:Soverycareful
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

RobYob wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 6:12 pm
ilmostro wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 5:35 pm
Quite sad that what sounds like really cool emergent gameplay got squished. Anyway Robigo Mines now has tourist missions which always go to Sothis Atmospherics so your can fill every passenger cabin you can stuff your ship with and complete them all in a 15min loop. My Python can get about 20Million per run. Grind that and you can make your balance look very healthy.

It's not great gameplay after a while (although better than Smeaton runs!) but lets you save quickly.
Sounds like a plan, I need a change of scenery.

Guess I'll need to head over and establish myself with the local factions.
tim

Post by tim »

I came all the way from Sha Gigas to Robigo to find my Type-7 is too big to dock anywhere but Hauser's Reach. Balls!
RobYob

Post by RobYob »

tim wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 7:49 pm I came all the way from Sha Gigas to Robigo to find my Type-7 is too big to dock anywhere but Hauser's Reach. Balls!
Doh, sorry, forgot that T7 is large not Medium.

Still there's plenty of Sothis Atmo tourists in Hausers I think.

Damnit I'm looking at a 50,000,000 payout wing sourcing mission for 1800units of insulating membrane, so tempting but that's a a lot of hauling.
RobYob

Post by RobYob »

RobYob wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 8:15 pm Damnit I'm looking at a 50,000,000 payout wing sourcing mission for 1800units of insulating membrane, so tempting but that's a a lot of hauling.
And checking EDDB I've just realised how completely impossible a task it is :oops: