Elite Dangerous

RobYob

Re: Elite Dangerous

Post by RobYob »

Free now until Thursday.
I've picked myself up another couple of free accounts to muck about with too. 8-)
RobYob

Post by RobYob »

Bit under 24hours to grab the freebie, after that it'll probably star at around £5 on Steam.
I might've grab myself 3 alts. Kinda fun to be back in the small ships.
Simon

Post by Simon »

It's currently £4.99 on Steam. Must be worth paying that to not have yet another gaming client on the PC?
The artist formerly known as _Who_
RobYob

Post by RobYob »

Possibly but I've enjoyed all the freebies from Epic.

But OTOH it's not like my pile of shame needs to get any deeper...
mr_jon

Post by mr_jon »

Simon wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 8:57 am It's currently £4.99 on Steam. Must be worth paying that to not have yet another gaming client on the PC?
Worth having both Epic (for the freebies) & Steam, IMO. I set neither to start automatically with Windows.

Have grabbed Elite but not sure it will compete with the BBC version :D I have about 15hrs on the latest No Man's Sky, but a bit disappointed with it really, very cartoony.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Epic is alright. I remember having to download Origin years ago for something and it was teh aids.
How about not having a sig at all?
RobYob

Post by RobYob »

mr_jon wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 11:25 am
Simon wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 8:57 am It's currently £4.99 on Steam. Must be worth paying that to not have yet another gaming client on the PC?
Worth having both Epic (for the freebies) & Steam, IMO. I set neither to start automatically with Windows.

Have grabbed Elite but not sure it will compete with the BBC version :D I have about 15hrs on the latest No Man's Sky, but a bit disappointed with it really, very cartoony.
Elite:Dangerous is in some ways a Lot easier than the original I haven't died docking in a station once, not even the first time (and the was before last year's addition of a free docking computer for begginers)

But the interface can be intimidating, IIRC there's around 180 keybinds although you only need a dozen or so to get going.

NMS I've not played but it appears more cartoony and doesn't have the whole 1-1 Milky way thing. But it also seems to get content updates much quicker than Elite's snail pace.
RobYob

Post by RobYob »

New trailer for the coming 2021 DLC.

Think I'll pass on the combat and go straight to looking at mountains. 8-)
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

8-)
Matty
Currently Driving: Up! GTi, Alfa 4C

Post by Matty »

Looks good.

Still maintain that lack of ship interiors is a massive oversight.
RobYob

Post by RobYob »

Whilst I would also love to jog up an down the corridors of an Anaconda or just wander the bridge of a Beluga I'm less convinced that I'd do it for long enough to justify the effort that would go into creating the unique interiors of thirty eight ships.

They really should make the bridge areas walkable though, most are insanely big and already reasonably detailed for VR users.

Here's a VR tour of the "medium" Krait. It's as long as the Queen Elizabeth carrier and as wide as it is long...
RobYob

Post by RobYob »

Elite is giving away free Arx (in game currency) this week for logging in everyday. You may have enough by the end of the week for a nice new paint job.
mr_jon

Post by mr_jon »

Meh I've done the tutorial which went on too long, not too fussed about more.
RobYob

Post by RobYob »

I'm not signed up for the Alpha test of Odyssey : Elite Feet, but people are posting plenty of cool looking stuff.

Anacondas are BIG
RobYob

Post by RobYob »

Lots of fun looking stuff coming from the Alpha test, but I do love a good flyby.
RobYob

Post by RobYob »

More stuff from the Alpha playtest. Odyssey is released in 2 weeks, it'll undoubtebly be bugged but I'll probably get it on release day anyway.
RobYob

Post by RobYob »

Matty

Post by Matty »

Initial reports of Odyssey are pretty bad (that I've read) so I'm hoping they can turn it around for launch. I still maintain that 'beam me up' to the ship is jarring and a huge mistake.

I'm still dabbling in Star Citizen to get my space-fix at the moment, interesting to see these start to intersect.
RobYob

Post by RobYob »

Matty wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 8:36 pm Initial reports of Odyssey are pretty bad (that I've read) so I'm hoping they can turn it around for launch. I still maintain that 'beam me up' to the ship is jarring and a huge mistake.

I'm still dabbling in Star Citizen to get my space-fix at the moment, interesting to see these start to intersect.
Yeah the Obsidiant video was not very positive at all with the exception of it being visually great. The addition of a meh FPS component has aggravated people who have been hanging out for the content already in the game to be fixed (Wings/Multicrew/Carriers/Instancing/Engineering)

I'll probably still get Odyssey on release and just cruise around enjoying the view (which is mostly what I do know in Elite) the teleporting "Armstrong moment" is becoming a muchly memed joke. So sad they couldn't add just slightly more animation like beginning to climb stairs or ladders even if they didn't want to do ship interiors.

How do you find SC? I've never been tempted as it's a legendarily bugfest/performance hog although incredibly pretty from the pics/videos I've watched.
Matty

Post by Matty »

The lack of effort on multicrew is astounding, and on wings to some extent. I think it's largely due to the fact that Braben didn't want the whole 'carrier/fleet/base/crew' thing, it was meant to be a 'one man and his ship' effort, like the originals. Still, the big push for the FPS angle is really odd.

Space legs goes massively toward making things feel more real. They've got a bit too far the other way with SC - starting the game in a hab/hotel, and having to run though the city to a train, to the space port to summon your ship....it's just a 10 minute pointless slog just to get to your ship because 'immersion'.
But as someone who grew up loving space games, having a real ship you can walk around is great. Just being able to get up and walk around while you're waiting to fly to your destination is ultimately pointless, but just adds to the overall feeling.
There is a free-fly event coming up soon, worth checking out as it costs nothing. Just make sure you've got a decent PC!