Elite Dangerous

duncs500

Re: Elite Dangerous

Post by duncs500 »

I'm also away from the bubble at the moment, needed to do the 5kLy for Professor Palin. Shouldn't have taken that long, but once you get out into unexplored space the temptation to go and try to discover shit is too strong. I couldn't help landing on a few of 'my' planets too.

I've still not found an ELW either. :(
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

I did find an ELW on that trip in the end by the way. 8-)

Died last night for the first time, oh the shame. I was collecting combat bonds for one of the engineers and I got in too deep with a Python and its friend. My shields/hull must be shite because certain ships seem to just smash through me in no time. Previously I'd managed to limp back to dock (a couple of times with no canopy), but this one was all over before I h had time to get out of there.

I think my beam laser is pretty lame, but when enemy shields are down my 3x multi cannon do a pretty good job.
RobYob

Post by RobYob »

Damn you! :evil: I've spent the last week wandering out of Colonia in search of a single Earth Like to name. I've discovered water worlds, neutrons, a pretty ringed gas giant orbiting only 55Ls from its star and ammonia worlds but not a single ELW :|

Elite rated NPCs can pack quite a punch, they often cheat with rail guns and never miss or overheat.

Are you running an upgraded hull like military composite or reactive surface composite?
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

Nah, no upgrades. Hull upgrades is an area I'm still a little unclear on. I know that different hull types deal better against different weapons, but how are you supposed to know what type of weapons you'll be attacked by? Also worried about the weight penalty.
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

Oh, to find my ELW I followed the tip to filter to the main star types they occur under... I think it was F and G? I did my journey back from the Palin expedition like that and one turned up.
RobYob

Post by RobYob »

Upgraded hulls to give you lots more hits points once your shields are down.

Reinforced alloy will give you 50% more hit points "hull integrity" than lightweight and Military will be 100% more.

Then you can engineer them. "Best" I've heard is Reactive Composite (at 300million Cr for a Conda!) with Thermal resist engineering to bump up the one stat it's not so good at.

You're right they will shorten your jump range due to weight. How many MJ of shields are you running? I've got about 2000 that's a 6A shield plus three boosters. I can't run any more boosters as my power plant can't yet keep up.

An ELW within 5kLY of the bubble, you lucky sod. I've been filtering for F type stars as recommended but no joy yet.
RobYob

Post by RobYob »

Quest OVER!
SPOIHAAE JD-G D11-B7 A1 is my first and probably last ELW 1100kLy below Colonia.
Decent sized moon too which is suppose to be rare. In a Binary system along with an Ammonia world so I'm quite pleased.

Found some black holes along the way too which make for interesting effects of the Galaxy refracted.
ilmostro

Post by ilmostro »

RobYob

Post by RobYob »

I watched this yesterday, was skeptical about the new exploration minigames slowing everything down too much but it does look very slick and not having to spend half an hour in super cruise to scan those distant binaries will be a bonus.

Looking forward to seeing what they've done with mining.
RobYob

Post by RobYob »

3.3 Beta is live with new Mining, Exploration, Events. After being beweildered for a few minutes by the new system scanner I think I like it. Now more trundling for minutes in SC to check on interesting objects.

Orrery maps are funky too. Stolen shamelessly from Reddit, this is Sol.
RobYob

Post by RobYob »

£16 for main game and Horizons is a fantastic bargain.
Humble store
RobYob

Post by RobYob »

Chapter 4 drops next Tuesday. Looking forward to making more money with exploration and finding the new stuff.

Are there enough players left here for a OV3 squadron?
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

Haven't played for a while and then went on recently, but couldn't remember what I was supposed to be doing and gave up again.:) Just doesn't feel like I've got time for gaming right now. :cry:
RobYob

Post by RobYob »

I probably make too much time for gaming :oops:

Visited the very pretty Gleshpoint Pink gas giant which may well disapear on Tuesday with the new lighting system.

JLv3.0

Post by JLv3.0 »

duncs500 wrote: Wed Dec 05, 2018 7:19 pmJust doesn't feel like I've got time for gaming any more.
Slight edit for me.

I downloaded this, played it for 10 minutes and thought "da fuq am I doing, I'm a grownup" and haven't switched it back on since :(
RobYob

Post by RobYob »

And thank fvck growing up isn't compulsory 8-)
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

JLv3.0 wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 11:21 am
duncs500 wrote: Wed Dec 05, 2018 7:19 pmJust doesn't feel like I've got time for gaming any more.
Slight edit for me.

I downloaded this, played it for 10 minutes and thought "da fuq am I doing, I'm a grownup" and haven't switched it back on since :(
I thought the same except I’m most definitely still a retarded child. I’m just put off by games which require a lot of research and are all too time consuming with an infinite goal, but that’s more because I have too little time for that type of game. It’s hard to enjoy such games when you can only put in an hour every other day. Anything made by Bethesda has the same problem for me.
How about not having a sig at all?
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

Mito Man wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 1:32 pm
JLv3.0 wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 11:21 am
Slight edit for me.

I thought the same except I’m most definitely still a retarded child. I’m just put off by games which require a lot of research and are all too time consuming with an infinite goal, but that’s more because I have too little time for that type of game. It’s hard to enjoy such games when you can only put in an hour every other day. Anything made by Bethesda has the same problem for me.
did you get a job or something?!
JLv3.0

Post by JLv3.0 »

RobYob wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 12:00 pm And thank fvck growing up isn't compulsory 8-)
Hey I never chose to! It just seemed odd to not want to play Elite seeing as that's how I spent a good chunk of my childhood.
RobYob

Post by RobYob »

JLv3.0 wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 2:11 pm
RobYob wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 12:00 pm And thank fvck growing up isn't compulsory 8-)
Hey I never chose to! It just seemed odd to not want to play Elite seeing as that's how I spent a good chunk of my childhood.
In the choice between writing a great novel, learning a new language, starting an MBA or painting the house I choose Elite, or Destiny 2, or Lego.

Reflecting on if these choices are good or not would take up valuable gaming time. Actually TBH I think Elite satisfies my great enjoyment of travel without all the messy and expensive going to other places. I'm also around to get things off high shelves for the family.

I'll get around to that novel one day.