Elite Dangerous

ZedLeg

Re: Elite Dangerous

Post by ZedLeg »

Aye it was on sale pretty cheap last week as well. You should always check the sales in the store, you get some real bargains.
An absolute unit
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

I'll have to see it's still there. I've nearly achieved my goal of unlocking the chrome camo on Call of Duty so I might be ready for a new challenge.
RobYob

Post by RobYob »

Tried running ED on my old potato PC with a GT1030. Almost like being back in the C64 days :lol:

Although running passengers and cargo is acceptable enough on it, and I appreciate my non-potato weekend PC much more now.

My Python now has a maxed G5 FSD, might even kit it for exploring to knock off the 5000LY requirement to unlock Professor Palin.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

I also bought this in the PSN sale, got through all the training missions easily enough although it’s clear the PS4 controller is lacking in buttons (I hate having to use button combinations to access frequently used feaures).

Went into the main game mode and have absolutely no clue what to do. Flew around for 20 minutes mining and randomly exploring thinking a mission would just pop up but nada. Will probably have to watch some YouTube videos.
How about not having a sig at all?
RobYob

Post by RobYob »

Boom data missions from Station services is the best way to get some cash when starting out.

You will almost never be offered a mission when flying around.

Drop into a resource extraction site to fight pirates for profit if you're game.
ilmostro

Post by ilmostro »

It's a real shame that the PC / XBox One / PS4 players can't directly interact in game.

I find this aspect (open play) of the game one of it's highlights (apart from the griefers).
RobYob

Post by RobYob »

Tis a real shame and I think at least Xbox X-Play would be as simple as MS allowing it.

The greater shame is that PVP is imbalanced enough for lots of players to opt into the private PVE only groups.

I'm enjoying the process of unlocking engineers as it's one of the big but straightforward "quests" to do but it can certainly turn a ship into an utter monster.

I recon having data and cargo insured in the same way ships are would be a good start.
RobYob

Post by RobYob »

Decided to make my life easier by looking up the best spots for Grade 5 materials. So much easier picking over the vents of Beta Hydri or the spooky crashed Anaconda of Orrere for stuff than random USS or planets.

Might try a Thargoid barnacle site next.
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

ZedLeg wrote: Sat Apr 28, 2018 9:28 am Aye it was on sale pretty cheap last week as well. You should always check the sales in the store, you get some real bargains.
How are you finding it? I'm still considering it.
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

Well I got it. I find docking and general manoeuvring easy enough, the one thing I struggle like hell with is overshooting the station every time I'm in supercruise. Does my head in. Any tips?

I've been doing the data transfer missions, which is easy enough. I've also seen a reasonably good trade route, but with such a tiny cargo capacity it's not really possible to build it up.
RobYob

Post by RobYob »

Top tip, at 7s time to target throttle to 75% and you'll never do the loop of shame again. :D I have 75% throttle hot keyed just for this.

Worth watching the "Things everyone else knows about Elite" YouTube videos.

Cobra III does light cargo running very very well. In fact it does most things very well.

I'm out at Maia doing the Meta Alloy runs at the moment.
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

Cobra III sounds like my kind of ship, better get saving.
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

How frequently should I expect to get attacked? I've done 4 or 5 of those missions and so far I've been left alone. :?
RobYob

Post by RobYob »

Infrequently to begin with IIRC, and to be fair NPC interdictions are very easy to win. However the higher value the missions you're running you'll often get a "Fight off pirates" secondary mission attached.

Tried a conflict zone massacre missiom and got my half engineered Python smashed, will proceed with more caution.
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

Right, well I've got my Cobra III and so far I've bought a fuel scoop and increased one of the cargo units that was a 2er to a 4er.

TBH I'm a bit at a loss to figure out what order I should upgrade the ship in? I'm guessing all things power related would be a good start as everything runs off that?

Also, what weapons are best? So far I've stored my weapons and every time some has engaged me I've just boosted away until my supercruise is available again, but I'm assuming at some point I'll want to or have to stand and fight.

There's just too many options in this game to know what is best!
RobYob

Post by RobYob »

Theorycrafting
My "beginners" Cobra was two medium gimballed beams and two seeker missiles. Fixed weapons do more damage but need practice. The Cobra's underslung small weapon points are a bit awkwardly placed hence the seekers.

After that work towards A-rated everything except Life support and maybe sensors (D rate for lightness)

If you want to run Road to riches type exploration save for an advanced discovery scanner and planetary scanner, otherwise lots of cargo space to run space trucking. Or passenger missions can be quite lucrative too.

I think I made a bit of money doing space taxiing. Choose a (Non wanted!) Business Tourist going to a few sites within 100LY and that should pay a million or more.
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

I looked at the passenger boards but it wouldn't let me take anyone because my rating is not good enough... but surely I can't improve my rating if I can't take anyone? :?

I've moved from boom data into boom goods at the moment, I'm sometimes getting 130k or more for a single trip, so not too bad.

Still not battled a ship since the first 10 mins of playing. I am looking at buying some weapons soon though... maybe after a new FSD. :)
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

duncs500 wrote: Sat May 05, 2018 9:28 am
ZedLeg wrote: Sat Apr 28, 2018 9:28 am Aye it was on sale pretty cheap last week as well. You should always check the sales in the store, you get some real bargains.
I haven't actually been playing it much, a guy I kind of know from GTA started following me around trying to be helpful when I was just starting and I got all social anxiety weird about it :).

I'll probably go back to it when I get bored of Fallout again.
An absolute unit
RobYob

Post by RobYob »

duncs500 wrote: Tue May 08, 2018 6:52 am I looked at the passenger boards but it wouldn't let me take anyone because my rating is not good enough... but surely I can't improve my rating if I can't take anyone? :?
I think faction status is cross linked between normal and passenger missions, so if you run enough data to get friendly with a local faction their passeger missions will be available. ED rewards hanging around an area for a while getting lots of local factions friendly or allied then making cash from the high level missions offered.
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

ZedLeg wrote: Tue May 08, 2018 9:38 am
duncs500 wrote: Sat May 05, 2018 9:28 am
I haven't actually been playing it much, a guy I kind of know from GTA started following me around trying to be helpful when I was just starting and I got all social anxiety weird about it :).

I'll probably go back to it when I get bored of Fallout again.
I've been playing in open but I don't think I've seen one human player, I don't even know how I'd spot one. Surely if someone is bugging you just play in solo? I can't see that it's any different, it's a big old galaxy out there and it doesn't exactly seem to be teeming with people. :lol: It's true what they say, space is a lonely place.