Elite Dangerous

Matty
Currently Driving: Up! GTi, Alfa 4C

Re: Elite Dangerous

Post by Matty »

RobYob

Post by RobYob »

Looks stupendously awesome, hopefully they have some more details soon and an open beta.

Although the last fortnite I've spent ten times as long making my Elite game menus pretty and recording a video on that rather than a really playing....

Only a few hundred more Thargoid scouts to squish to get my Deadly combat rank and unlock the last engineer I don't have.
Matty
Currently Driving: Up! GTi, Alfa 4C

Post by Matty »

I've been playing a bit of Star Citizen; it's a clunky, buggy game filled with unfathomable, needless functions.

But the space-legs in that game absolutely make it. Being able to wonder around your ship adds hugely to the feel/immersion of it - tag that onto Elite's current solid structure and it'll be amazing....assume you can run around your ship, and you don't just 'teleport' out of it once you land....
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

This looks exciting. 8-) Exactly the next step that was needed.
RobYob

Post by RobYob »

Never been an easier time to explore the galaxy. Carriers are located in almost every region to base yourself from.
Over seven thousand of them, that's a LOT of credits.
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

Haven't played since this came about, so what's the idea? You can go to other people's fleet carriers?
RobYob

Post by RobYob »

duncs500 wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 9:03 am Haven't played since this came about, so what's the idea? You can go to other people's fleet carriers?
Yes, unless they've specifically locked the docking privileges to friends only then anyone can dock at any carrier. They're also cross platform so you can see and dock at any pc/xb/ps4 carrier. Most of them will have refuel/repair/rearm and universal Cartographics onboard.

There's an initiative to get at least one permanent carrier stationed in every region
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

Are you better off owning your own one though?
RobYob

Post by RobYob »

duncs500 wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 11:07 am Are you better off owning your own one though?
Yeah if you've around seven billion in the bank then why not?

I could've mined in Borann LTD3 (RIP) for another sixteen or so hours to properly afford one, but I think I'm happy just riding on squadmates ones for now.

My list of things left to do in Elite is fairly short now, I've got to grind out a combat Elite ranking at some point but other than that I'll just fartarse around until Odyssey next year.
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

They've got a massive jump range though haven't they? My logic (especially if I was playing a lot) would be a few hours grinding is going to save you a lot of travel time all over the galaxy in the long run.
RobYob

Post by RobYob »

duncs500 wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 1:34 pm They've got a massive jump range though haven't they? My logic (especially if I was playing a lot) would be a few hours grinding is going to save you a lot of travel time all over the galaxy in the long run.
They do, 500LY but 15min spool-up and 5min cool down means you can still outrun one in a well engineered exploration ship. Particularly with a neutron boost. Carriers can get to some otherwise inaccessible or inescapable systems (the Anaconda graveyard) though.

There's also the tedious task of fueling them up. Which has meant a good opportunity to haul tritium for profit to carriers who want to pay to avoid hauling it themselves. Using a Cutter or Type 9 to haul Tritium is still 60+ round trips to completely fill a carrier.

Once they're out away from civilisation the tritium will have to be mined which may be the point at which people ragequit. Mining for hours for one jump isn't going to be fun unless you have friends to help.

That's the crux of the thing, a lot of the the mechanisms around carriers are designed for squadron use. But some people insisted they be individual assets. So we're now stuck with these compromises.
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

I see, they don't run off stars? That does sound like a PITA.

I've never done a boost off a neutron star, sounds a bit scary. :D What's the best max range out there for a regular ship nowadays? I'm also a bit scared of stripping a ship out and then being left defenceless, although TBH it's pretty easy to avoid getting into fights.
RobYob

Post by RobYob »

No, they don't have a mega fuel scoop or anything as convienient as that. :)
If nothing else they are forcing people to work together to get these monsters fueled and useful. I've made a few credits myself trucking tritium bought at a station for 4k/t to a carrier buying at 30-45k/t. Few minutes round trip for easy money.

There's others parked out at the "New Borann" triple diamond hotspot buying on the spot from miners at 500-700k/t then when full jumping to a system buying at 1.4M/t.

Lots of people hoping for the Panther Clipper ship to be brough back from previous Elite games, it had a cargo capacity of 2000tonnes, nearly triple that of a maxed out Cutter/T9.

Neutron boosting is great, keeps you awake!

An unengineered Phantom will jump 33LY optimised+shields, another 10LY with the Guardian FSD booster unlock and 50% on that (70+LY) with engineering.
RobYob

Post by RobYob »

Another insight/trailer for Odyssey.

Looking cool, still disappointing that ship interiors are not going to be included.

As of end of October the base game and Horizons will be bundled together so buying the base game will get you the DLC for free. If you already have the DLC you get some nice ship skins as thanks.
Ascender
Currently Driving: 2019 M2 Competition

Post by Ascender »

What platform are you all playing this on and how accessible is it if you're a n00b coming in now with zero experience, cash, resources etc? Is it one of those games which will keep going for years via updates, DLC and on to the new consoles?
Cheers,

Mike.
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

I play on PS4, might be PS5 by the time the new one comes out though.
RobYob

Post by RobYob »

It's on PS4/Xbox/PC. I'm on PC and I think it's easiest on PC as there's a bunch of community supported add-ons that aren't available to consoles. Stuff like online inventories and squadmate tracking is invaluable. Also a greater selection of hardware controllers/HOTAS to choose from.

Base game release with 2014 and the first and so far only DLC 2015 with new non-DLC content added every six months or so.

So the pace of development is very slow but there's a lot to do if you get into it.

I guess as a noob a nice option is to play only Vs NPCs (solo mode, but still needs a 'net connection) or there's the option of PVE only player groups. Then there's Open mode, where almost anything goes but outside of a few hotspots PVP is unlikely.

On the other hand Open mode can result in some great friendly random encounters or flying with a squadron is fantastic fun.

You have to be content making your own story as almost everything is procedurally generated and therefore can feel a bit impersonal.

Here's a video series of someone who knows the game restarting their commander from scratch.
RobYob

Post by RobYob »

Free from next Thursday for a week on Epic store.
Simon

Post by Simon »

Free to keep forever?
The artist formerly known as _Who_
RobYob

Post by RobYob »

Yes indeed. Epic have been pretty good about giving stuff away to keep.

I think the Logic of the giveaway is it's already been discounted down to £5 for a few months and there's a new pack of DLC coming in March Next year they want to hype.