Elite Dangerous

RobYob

Re: Elite Dangerous

Post by RobYob »

duncs500 wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 5:56 pm The last paragraph is where I'm going wrong I think. By hotspot do you mean Extraction Site? And if so, what do the different levels signify?

I just thought the overlap was an area in the middle of two close Extraction Sites.
Nah hotspots and extraction sites are two different things. These days it's prefferable to mine away from extraction sites as pirates will only spawn when you first arrive (at which point you have nothing but limpets to steal so they leave, usually) The step that mightn't have been clear from the video was probing the ring ( :oops: ) with a detailed surface scanner. That shows up all the orange/gold hotspots as per 8:22 in the video. From there you check everything in the nav panel to find the spots that are the same distance away and overlap. Some rings have so many hotspots it might take a couple of checks to home in on the double/triple but as you get close it'll be obvious.

Shame you're not on PC, wing mining is very profitable. 8-)

Back to extraction sites, the levels denote how nasty the pirates will be and how much police backup you get. Low-Regular-High-Hazardous being the slightly unintuitive labling of them from safest to most dangerous. Haz-Rez can be fun and a good way of getting grade 5 engineering materials. If your ship and combat skills are up to it.
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

Ok cheers, knew there was something I was doing wrong.
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

Right, I'm doing ok with the Painite mining although not getting close to the money and speed you mention earlier (no doubt on account of keeping my ship fairly multi-role). Don't really want to strip it out, although building a purpose built mining ship would no doubt pay dividends.

What's the deal with LTDs? Same method as Painite?

How much do you reckon a fleet carrier will cost? The estimates I can find online are 500mil to 2bil+.
RobYob

Post by RobYob »

What's your mining ship setup? Any of the big three should be able to run 3-4 class 2 mining lasers and 8-12 limpets and still have shields and some guns.

Although I've almost min-maxed my cutter by going shieldless (heavy armour though) and it is plenty fast Vs NPC pirates.

LTDs AFAIK only beat Painite if you got to Borann for the triple hotspot. But otherwise it's laser mining as per Painite. It is extremely pretty mining in an ice ring though.

Fleet carrier, yes I'd guess half to one billion.
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

I've got three mining lasers and three limpet controllers. Definitely not enough limpets to be efficient I guess. Could get rid of some more stuff like the planetary vehicle hangar, but I like to have all options open without having to chop and change.
RobYob

Post by RobYob »

duncs500 wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 7:52 am I've got three mining lasers and three limpet controllers. Definitely not enough limpets to be efficient I guess. Could get rid of some more stuff like the planetary vehicle hangar, but I like to have all options open without having to chop and change.
Well 3 class 2 mining lasers should be grinding through the rocks fairly rapidly, you've got a power distributor that can keep up? Three class 2s should optimise well with around 8 limpets which is two class 5 collectors and one class 3.

I would say a planetary vehicle hanger is superfluous, although if it's in a class 2 slot you're not losing much mining capability, although a class 1 prospector could go there freeing up space for another class 3 collector or cargo/shield/hull reinforcement.

Post the build up from Coriolis if you like.
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

Yeah, I can usually deplete an asteroid in two full drains of the weapons bar, so I'm mostly just sat around waiting for my limpets to do their thing.
RobYob

Post by RobYob »

duncs500 wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 9:12 am Yeah, I can usually deplete an asteroid in two full drains of the weapons bar, so I'm mostly just sat around waiting for my limpets to do their thing.
There's a few techniques to make your limpets work a bit better. Mining slow rotating rocks or mining at the axis of rotation helps. As does being as close as possible to the rock then mining slightly nose down as the chunks then fly below you ready for the limpets to take them to your cargo hatch. There are a few good guides out there to help speed the process up.
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

RobYob wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 10:13 am
duncs500 wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 9:12 am Yeah, I can usually deplete an asteroid in two full drains of the weapons bar, so I'm mostly just sat around waiting for my limpets to do their thing.
There's a few techniques to make your limpets work a bit better. Mining slow rotating rocks or mining at the axis of rotation helps. As does being as close as possible to the rock then mining slightly nose down as the chunks then fly below you ready for the limpets to take them to your cargo hatch. There are a few good guides out there to help speed the process up.
Yep, figured most of that out along the way. I do feel like you can lose more limpets when you're up close though as well.
RobYob

Post by RobYob »

duncs500 wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 11:00 am
RobYob wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 10:13 am
Yep, figured most of that out along the way. I do feel like you can lose more limpets when you're up close though as well.
Yeah you can lose some if you're lasering at a faster moving or spikier rock. Generally you'll be dumping limpets once your cargo gets full of diamonds or painite though. I usually load up between 75-90% of my hold with limpets before heading out, I throw a lot overboard in the end but it's easier to do that than to synthesize them on the spot.
RobYob

Post by RobYob »

Well there you go, fleet carriers delayed until "summer" 2020 in order to focus on bug fixes including open beta testing.

Kinda good news I think if they want to launch the new DLC properly end of next year.

But I might been focusing more on lowering the pile of shame than doing much in E:D for a while. Getting power play modules takes a few hour's play every week then just loads of waiting.
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

Damn, I was saving hard for one, at least I know I can concentrate on the new CoD that comes out on Friday. :)
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

Why do I keep clicking on this thread??! 😂

Duncs, are you playing CoD mobile? It’s surprisingly good!
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

Rich B wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 6:40 am Why do I keep clicking on this thread??! 😂

Someone at work gave me a go on it, I couldn't get on with it, but I'm sure it's just a case of practice. Looked decent enough.

Think I prefer playing it on the console though.
Rich B

Post by Rich B »

duncs500 wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 6:51 pm
Rich B wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 6:40 am Why do I keep clicking on this thread??! 😂

Someone at work gave me a go on it, I couldn't get on with it, but I'm sure it's just a case of practice. Looked decent enough.

Of course the console with a controller is a better interface, but the fact Cod mobile is completely cross-platform, can be played anywhere and is free, Makes it pretty amazing. It’s probably 80% as good as the console so far. All the game set up and menu stuff seems light years ahead of trying to get a multiplayer game going on an Xbox though.
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

Rich B wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 7:47 pm

Of course the console with a controller is a better interface, but the fact Cod mobile is completely cross-platform, can be played anywhere and is free, Makes it pretty amazing. It’s probably 80% as good as the console so far. All the game set up and menu stuff seems light years ahead of trying to get a multiplayer game going on an Xbox though.
Oh, new CoD is cross-platform multiplayer too. ;)
Rich B

Post by Rich B »

duncs500 wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 8:32 pm
Rich B wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 7:47 pm

Oh, new CoD is cross-platform multiplayer too. ;)
interesting - I bet that took some organising!
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

I always click on this thread, then wonder why as I don't understand any of it, nor the idea of a game which sounds like a pain in the arse and no fun at all :lol:
Cheers, Harry
RobYob

Post by RobYob »

Like most games the higher the level you are the more difficult "progress" is, although in Elite you have the option of just wandering off in the cheapest ship to see the sights of the universe and try to find new things.

If you want to be a space Billionaire that's relatively straightforward too.

Unlocking and acquiring every possible ship upgrade though can sometimes degenerate into an extremely tedious grind.

Mastering Combat is definitely an acquired skill, I'm barely a beginner at PVP.

Still, hard to argue about the entertainment value of something that was £15 and I've put 1200+hours into. :oops:
RobYob

Post by RobYob »

So the Fleet Carrier Beta is almost over and I've enjoyed messing about it one although I probably won't grind out the 5 Billion + to have one in the main game.

As always they make for some speccy screenshots.
VY Canis Majoris, the largest known star in the Galaxy. The carrier is actually in orbit around the much much smaller brown dwarf in the top right corner.

A ringed neutron star.