Elite Dangerous

RobYob
Posts: 656
Joined: Wed Apr 11, 2018 5:03 pm

Re: Elite Dangerous

Post by RobYob » Thu Dec 27, 2018 10:42 am

Image
Blowing up asteroids for diamonds and opals is great fun. Shockwave knocks the ship around a lot.

RobYob
Posts: 656
Joined: Wed Apr 11, 2018 5:03 pm

Re: Elite Dangerous

Post by RobYob » Fri Jan 18, 2019 9:55 am

Anybody playing, signed up to the Distant Worlds 2 expedition?

They got a good luck message from Chris Hadfield.
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Dw-W7fMWkAA4kv9.jpg

RobYob
Posts: 656
Joined: Wed Apr 11, 2018 5:03 pm

Re: Elite Dangerous

Post by RobYob » Fri May 03, 2019 3:58 pm

Image
Made it to the edge, 'Salomé's Reach' (Oevasy SG-Y D0 B 9 F) 65,647Ly from Sol.
Because of distant worlds 2 there's a few other players out here.
It's a hell of a long way back, probably take a few months to reach civilisation again.

User avatar
duncs500
Posts: 942
Joined: Wed Apr 11, 2018 8:59 pm

Re: Elite Dangerous

Post by duncs500 » Sat May 04, 2019 7:29 am

8-)

RobYob
Posts: 656
Joined: Wed Apr 11, 2018 5:03 pm

Re: Elite Dangerous

Post by RobYob » Sun Jun 09, 2019 11:59 am

Now only 8000LY from the bubble I've stopped to search for Notable Stellar Phenomena see if I can get a first discovered tag on one.

Once I'm back it might be time to do the Imperial rank grind to get a Cutter.

drcarlos
Posts: 388
Joined: Thu Apr 12, 2018 10:17 am

Re: Elite Dangerous

Post by drcarlos » Mon Jun 10, 2019 3:18 pm

I've missed this. Might spend a bit on the PS store.

Former OG and Frontier player. Does the universe work in the same way as those games just with a shitload more added on?

Carl.

RobYob
Posts: 656
Joined: Wed Apr 11, 2018 5:03 pm

Re: Elite Dangerous

Post by RobYob » Mon Jun 10, 2019 5:30 pm

It's regularly on sale so I'd wait until there's a 50+% off sale before grabbing it, you'll probably want the Horizons DLC too (planetary landings and ship upgrades).

It's close to the very original version, as in you make your own goals and try to find your own fun in the galactic sandpit.

I played Frontier FE and remember there was a fairly long and involved story, there was probably all the sandpit stuff too but to me it was secondary at the time.

So yeah, if being a space jock in a completely indifferent galay appeals, E-D is great, there's plenty to see and do, none of it will make a jot of difference except to yourself.

The expected DLC for 2020 is spacelegs (walk around your ship, why, I don't know) and player bases, that could be cool.

drcarlos
Posts: 388
Joined: Thu Apr 12, 2018 10:17 am

Re: Elite Dangerous

Post by drcarlos » Mon Jun 10, 2019 7:39 pm

RobYob wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2019 5:30 pm
It's regularly on sale so I'd wait until there's a 50+% off sale before grabbing it, you'll probably want the Horizons DLC too (planetary landings and ship upgrades).

It's close to the very original version, as in you make your own goals and try to find your own fun in the galactic sandpit.

I played Frontier FE and remember there was a fairly long and involved story, there was probably all the sandpit stuff too but to me it was secondary at the time.

So yeah, if being a space jock in a completely indifferent galay appeals, E-D is great, there's plenty to see and do, none of it will make a jot of difference except to yourself.

The expected DLC for 2020 is spacelegs (walk around your ship, why, I don't know) and player bases, that could be cool.
It was elite 2 frontier on the Amiga I played not the later games. Shame I can’t take my puma clipper from that into dangerous. It was fitted with military weapons all around and was a total beast. I only made competent ranking though. I’ll keep an eye out for the discount though. Not that desperate to get going but it’s something different to play.

RobYob
Posts: 656
Joined: Wed Apr 11, 2018 5:03 pm

Re: Elite Dangerous

Post by RobYob » Tue Jun 11, 2019 5:16 am

drcarlos wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2019 7:39 pm
It was elite 2 frontier on the Amiga I played not the later games. Shame I can’t take my puma clipper from that into dangerous. It was fitted with military weapons all around and was a total beast. I only made competent ranking though. I’ll keep an eye out for the discount though. Not that desperate to get going but it’s something different to play.
I jumped a decade or so from C64 Elite to First Encounters on PC.

Don't know much about Puma Clipper, lots of people want the mega capacity of the Panther Clipper for trading in the game.

Not sure they'll put in anything with substantially more firepowr than the current Corvette though. PVP meta is medium ships anyway.

I'm hoping for some new and interesting ships with the 2020 DLC. Although I've only one of the "Big Three" and about four billion credits short of being able to fully kit them all out. Current money making meta of Void Opal mining averages 100million an hour so I've a lot of space digging to go until got enough cash.

After leaving the core systems in November I'm now back to within 1500LY of Earth.

RobYob
Posts: 656
Joined: Wed Apr 11, 2018 5:03 pm

Re: Elite Dangerous

Post by RobYob » Mon Sep 30, 2019 10:33 pm

So I've got to the stage of pissfarting about with power play now in order to get some of the special modules.

Money making meta has moved to double and triple hotspots where 200million/hour is reasonable for an amateur and.over 400 for the mad mapping miners.

I've now got the big 3 ships, although having at least as much fun in an Imperial Courier I've engineered to hit 850m/s while having enough shields to slams headfirst into things at 850m/s...

December's arrival of fleet carriers will hopefully shake things up a bit.

User avatar
duncs500
Posts: 942
Joined: Wed Apr 11, 2018 8:59 pm

Re: Elite Dangerous

Post by duncs500 » Tue Oct 01, 2019 8:31 am

Sounds like things have moved on, I might need to dust this off over the weekend!

What's the craic with fleet carriers? Link please.

User avatar
duncs500
Posts: 942
Joined: Wed Apr 11, 2018 8:59 pm

Re: Elite Dangerous

Post by duncs500 » Tue Oct 01, 2019 8:32 am

Oh, and if you've got an update on the best way to make money, let me know!

RobYob
Posts: 656
Joined: Wed Apr 11, 2018 5:03 pm

Re: Elite Dangerous

Post by RobYob » Tue Oct 01, 2019 8:53 am

Not a lot of new content in the September patch (a whole heap of bugs though) but the new training sim is quite good.

Fleet carriers, hold a heap of your own and friends ships, 500LY jump range, indestructible, unknown mechanics.


Mining meta (and ergo money making meta at the moment) is either Void opal cores or Painite/Low Temperature Diamond laser mining in double/triple "hotspots". I've been frequenting the Borann triple diamond hotspot and it takes me 2-4 hours to casually fill 512 tonnes of LTDs which sell for about 600million at a good system.

User avatar
duncs500
Posts: 942
Joined: Wed Apr 11, 2018 8:59 pm

Re: Elite Dangerous

Post by duncs500 » Tue Oct 01, 2019 9:47 am

I haven't played in a long time, so there's probably been a few patches...

DaveE
Posts: 346
Joined: Wed Apr 11, 2018 7:19 pm

Re: Elite Dangerous

Post by DaveE » Tue Oct 01, 2019 3:24 pm

Last time I played Elite was on my beloved old Acorn Electron.

It looked a bit different.

Image

RobYob
Posts: 656
Joined: Wed Apr 11, 2018 5:03 pm

Re: Elite Dangerous

Post by RobYob » Tue Oct 01, 2019 9:43 pm

It's gotten several orders of magnitude prettier and easier since then 8-)

DaveE
Posts: 346
Joined: Wed Apr 11, 2018 7:19 pm

Re: Elite Dangerous

Post by DaveE » Wed Oct 02, 2019 4:39 pm

RobYob wrote:
Tue Oct 01, 2019 9:43 pm
It's gotten several orders of magnitude prettier and easier since then 8-)
And bigger too.

I think thy original game was something like 20k?

Ridiculous.

User avatar
duncs500
Posts: 942
Joined: Wed Apr 11, 2018 8:59 pm

Re: Elite Dangerous

Post by duncs500 » Mon Oct 07, 2019 11:43 am

RobYob wrote:
Tue Oct 01, 2019 8:53 am
Not a lot of new content in the September patch (a whole heap of bugs though) but the new training sim is quite good.

Fleet carriers, hold a heap of your own and friends ships, 500LY jump range, indestructible, unknown mechanics.


Mining meta (and ergo money making meta at the moment) is either Void opal cores or Painite/Low Temperature Diamond laser mining in double/triple "hotspots". I've been frequenting the Borann triple diamond hotspot and it takes me 2-4 hours to casually fill 512 tonnes of LTDs which sell for about 600million at a good system.
I had a go at this, I'm not sure I understand about this overlapping of hotspots right. I tried to follow what he did, but I only found a couple with Painite in and it was only 8-10%.

RobYob
Posts: 656
Joined: Wed Apr 11, 2018 5:03 pm

Re: Elite Dangerous

Post by RobYob » Mon Oct 07, 2019 1:01 pm

Yeah doesn't sound like you've found the right spot. IIRC someone did the numbers for Low Temperature Diamonds and it wasn't worth mining any asteroid with less than 17% I imagine it's similar for Painite, they should be fairly numerous too although you sometimes get stuck in an unlucky low yield zone but boost a km away and it should be normal to find 20%+ rocks every two or three that you prospect.

Here's a handy website http://edtools.ddns.net/miner plug in where you are and what you want to mine (LTD and Painite for laser strip mining, Void Opals for explosive core mining) and it'll tell you where the nearest double/triple hotspot is and where the nearest/best sale price is at that moment. The sale price can change while you're out mining so worth double checking with Inara as it is updated more regularly and occasioanlly you find a better deal not too much further away.

When you arrive at a hotspot each spot in you're nav panel should be fairly close, for example the Borann triple LTD hotspot if you're at the correct overlap spot each marker is around 20Mm or less distance. Bear in mind each ring may have multiple single hotspots as well as the doubles and triples to confuse you.

User avatar
duncs500
Posts: 942
Joined: Wed Apr 11, 2018 8:59 pm

Re: Elite Dangerous

Post by duncs500 » Mon Oct 07, 2019 5:56 pm

RobYob wrote:
Mon Oct 07, 2019 1:01 pm
Yeah doesn't sound like you've found the right spot. IIRC someone did the numbers for Low Temperature Diamonds and it wasn't worth mining any asteroid with less than 17% I imagine it's similar for Painite, they should be fairly numerous too although you sometimes get stuck in an unlucky low yield zone but boost a km away and it should be normal to find 20%+ rocks every two or three that you prospect.

Here's a handy website http://edtools.ddns.net/miner plug in where you are and what you want to mine (LTD and Painite for laser strip mining, Void Opals for explosive core mining) and it'll tell you where the nearest double/triple hotspot is and where the nearest/best sale price is at that moment. The sale price can change while you're out mining so worth double checking with Inara as it is updated more regularly and occasioanlly you find a better deal not too much further away.

When you arrive at a hotspot each spot in you're nav panel should be fairly close, for example the Borann triple LTD hotspot if you're at the correct overlap spot each marker is around 20Mm or less distance. Bear in mind each ring may have multiple single hotspots as well as the doubles and triples to confuse you.
The last paragraph is where I'm going wrong I think. By hotspot do you mean Extraction Site? And if so, what do the different levels signify?

I just thought the overlap was an area in the middle of two close Extraction Sites.

Post Reply