Elite Dangerous

RobYob

Re: Elite Dangerous

Post by RobYob »

Matty wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 12:03 am The lack of effort on multicrew is astounding, and on wings to some extent. I think it's largely due to the fact that Braben didn't want the whole 'carrier/fleet/base/crew' thing, it was meant to be a 'one man and his ship' effort, like the originals. Still, the big push for the FPS angle is really odd.

Space legs goes massively toward making things feel more real. They've got a bit too far the other way with SC - starting the game in a hab/hotel, and having to run though the city to a train, to the space port to summon your ship....it's just a 10 minute pointless slog just to get to your ship because 'immersion'.
But as someone who grew up loving space games, having a real ship you can walk around is great. Just being able to get up and walk around while you're waiting to fly to your destination is ultimately pointless, but just adds to the overall feeling.
There is a free-fly event coming up soon, worth checking out as it costs nothing. Just make sure you've got a decent PC!
Cool, might have have a go at the SC free-fly, apparently my RX580 should be ok for 20-40fps. Will need to find another 8GB of RAM though, I had 4x4GB for a while but then it suddenly became very unstable for reasons I've not been able to discover.

Elite's neglect of multicrew/instancing is so disapointing. One of the most epic things I've done in Elite is a mass jump of 50 ships on an epedition, but it's an incredible ammount of time and faff putting it together. Maybe it was awesome because it's so rare... But you may have hit the nail on the head if Braben's vision is of the lone wolf pilot. Ironic that a lot of the community they've attracted just wants to have fun together.
RobYob

Post by RobYob »

Elite:Dangerous Odyssey launch trailer looks nice.

I'm going to wait for a few patches first to jump in though myself.
Matty
Currently Driving: Up! GTi, Alfa 4C

Post by Matty »

I'll wait until the reviews - plus the lack of VR is still a kicker for me.
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

8-) Trailer is great at least! Not that I have any chance of finding the time to play it.
RobYob

Post by RobYob »

As expected it looks like very much a paid Beta with a heap of bugs and lots of usability issues.
Apparently a lot of the menus have been changed and made worse :x
Definetely waiting to buy this, possibilty even 'til console launch at the end of the year.

Such a shame as they had a record number of players on Steam yesterday.
Matty

Post by Matty »

Yeah...I occasionally watch ObsidianAnt's vids to keep upto date with the game and even he's unusally negative. I think I'll wait a bit.

In other news, @RobYob Star Citizen is free until 1st of June if you want to try another buggy space game :lol:
RobYob

Post by RobYob »

Matty wrote: Sat May 22, 2021 12:02 pm Yeah...I occasionally watch ObsidianAnt's vids to keep upto date with the game and even he's unusally negative. I think I'll wait a bit.

In other news, @RobYob Star Citizen is free until 1st of June if you want to try another buggy space game :lol:
For sure OA was pretty damning in a low key way. There has been a semi-apologetic post from David Braben himself on the forums saying the launch hasn't gone to plan... As if that prospect wouldn't have been crystal clear from the Alpha not long ago.

Anyway, Star Citizen! Lets give it a go! :lol:
RobYob

Post by RobYob »

Star Citizen, let's crash when changing from medium to low quality, spend 10 minutes looking up how to get out of bed then wander around aimlessly looking for where I can get in a spaceship to be the Starry Citizen I wanna be. :lol:
Matty

Post by Matty »

RobYob wrote: Sun May 23, 2021 7:41 am Star Citizen, let's crash when changing from medium to low quality, spend 10 minutes looking up how to get out of bed then wander around aimlessly looking for where I can get in a spaceship to be the Starry Citizen I wanna be. :lol:
:lol: Ah yes, the 'immersion'. You wake up in a space hostel, then have to use the trains to get to the spaceport. It's completely unnecessary and painful...it gets better once you log out in your ships bed and can always resume from there....unless you die, or the game crashes, or they reset the servers...or...

TBH I've not played in a while. I tend to try it out to see what's new every few months.
RobYob

Post by RobYob »

Matty wrote: Sun May 23, 2021 12:00 pm
RobYob wrote: Sun May 23, 2021 7:41 am Star Citizen, let's crash when changing from medium to low quality, spend 10 minutes looking up how to get out of bed then wander around aimlessly looking for where I can get in a spaceship to be the Starry Citizen I wanna be. :lol:
:lol: Ah yes, the 'immersion'. You wake up in a space hostel, then have to use the trains to get to the spaceport. It's completely unnecessary and painful...it gets better once you log out in your ships bed and can always resume from there....unless you die, or the game crashes, or they reset the servers...or...

TBH I've not played in a while. I tend to try it out to see what's new every few months.
I wandered around this place called Staunton and I was hoping for big neon signs saying "Cool Spaceships This ---> way" Instead I found a pool table and a guy "standing" on someone's shoulders. I'll have to try and give it a bit more time. But performance on an RX580 isn't great.