New Mouse - Ergonomic

Swervin_Mervin

New Mouse - Ergonomic

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

Been suffering lately with pain in the ball of my wrist - on the outside, and I'm sure it's due to constantly leaning on it when using a mouse. I do a lot of drafting work so am always on the mouse.

Anyone have any suggestions as to what might be worth looking at? I jsut use a regular Microsoft Windows mouse at present - I found it best after realising years ago that I find a lot of mice too small, so end up with a claw like grip. Had no issues in that regard since, but now clearly need to try something else.
dinny_g

Re: New Mouse - Ergonomic

Post by dinny_g »

Obvious first question - how much of your forearm is resting on the desk in front of the mouse.

At the office and also in my home office, My entire forearm rests on the desk so no pressure on any part of the wrist
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
mik

Post by mik »

Not a topic I am massively knowledgeable in, but I use a Corsair gaming mouse ( this one ) for work - on the advice of youngest miklet. It’s very comfortable to use and has a lot of buttons! (Which can all be configured).

I didn’t have a strong need for it to be wireless, but they obviously do one.
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

Have you tried using a graphics tablet like Wacom or something instead of a mouse?
An absolute unit
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Try a vertical mouse. I remember reading that your wrist is happiest when you hold your arm out straight as if you’re shaking hands and vertical mice mimic that.
How about not having a sig at all?
NGRhodes

Post by NGRhodes »

I found an ergonomic mouse made little difference when i had rehab my wrist after 2 major operations (I spent 2 full weeks in hospital), I found exercises to stretch and strengthen best, followed by being careful about my physical positioning.
Assess how you are sitting, seat, desk height and your posture so you can move your mouse without leaning onto it.
In terms of your wrist search on the web for stretching and strength exercises, stick to authorities medical sites like NHS, WebMD is not too bad either. My physio said the main activity was, ensuring your hands are nice and warm to start (hot water) do a mixture of stretches and squeezing a tennis ball.
Zonda_

Post by Zonda_ »

I've used a Logitech vertical mouse since I had an operation on my hand and it's been a game changer. They are expensive but a lot more comfortable and natural than a conventional one.
drcarlos

Post by drcarlos »

Zonda_ wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 10:50 am I've used a Logitech vertical mouse since I had an operation on my hand and it's been a game changer. They are expensive but a lot more comfortable and natural than a conventional one.
I use a Cherry one as I'm left handed and Logitech didn't seem to cater for me, but a vertical mouse has helped cure my shoulder pain that was in turn giving numb and tingling fingers. I hate coming to the office and having to use my normal travel mouse.
Ascender
Currently Driving: 2019 M2 Competition

Post by Ascender »

Logitech mice get great reviews so seem to be well worth the money.

I'm using a trackpad at my desk with my forearms resting on the desk, so I guess that helps reduce pressure on any joints and the trackpad itself is a really low profile too.
Cheers,

Mike.
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

I've just a Logitech M705 for years - I have three or four now so I always have one to use wherever I am (home, office, whatever). I did buy an alternative Logitech to keep in my laptop bag for when I'm going away though (new laptop doesn't have USB-A ports so you can't plug in the dongle, so I had to get a Bluetooth one) and it's a bit smaller so not as comfy; it's not for everyday use though, but just reiterated how nice the M705 is.

Have you tried a wrist support? Something like this: https://www.ebay.co.uk/p/2255253315?iid=234507111873
Zonda_

Post by Zonda_ »

Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

dinny_g wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 9:48 am Obvious first question - how much of your forearm is resting on the desk in front of the mouse.

At the office and also in my home office, My entire forearm rests on the desk so no pressure on any part of the wrist
This is a good question. At home, none of it - my mouse is pretty much at the edge of my desk, but there's little I can do about that unfortunately. At work I am guilty of moving it nearer the front of the desk and relying on the arm of my chair to support my elbow, but I can adjust it and will, such that I can rest my forearm on the desk itself.

I had wondered about a vertical mouse - I'm just a bit worried that this might also see me resting on the same bony bit of my wrist, on my pinky side. I might give on a whirl though

Anyone use a pad to support their wrist? I remember having a mouse mat years ago with a built in pad and it just got on my nerves tbh, and I found it restricted mouse movement, but maybe the game has moved on
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

I suspect you’ve answered your own question Mervin

No option of a bigger desk??
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
mik

Post by mik »

That. You need a new desk arrangement sir.
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

dinny_g wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 8:59 pm I suspect you’ve answered your own question Mervin

At home?

Sadly not. Unless we move house :lol:

I may switch to going back to 3 days in the office, which would clearly help. But, quite frankly, the commute can suck my plums and I quite like clocking off at home and heading straight out into the garden.

I might get myself down to Currys or the like this weekend and have a look at the vertical mice etc. I need at least 1 new mouse anyway so might as well try one out and see how it goes.
Zonda_

Post by Zonda_ »

Swervin_Mervin wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 9:42 am
dinny_g wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 8:59 pm I suspect you’ve answered your own question Mervin

At home?

I may switch to going back to 3 days in the office, which would clearly help. But, quite frankly, the commute can suck my plums and I quite like clocking off at home and heading straight out into the garden.

I might get myself down to Currys or the like this weekend and have a look at the vertical mice etc. I need at least 1 new mouse anyway so might as well try one out and see how it goes.
There is a cheaper one by Logitech out now.
mik

Post by mik »

Swervin_Mervin wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 9:42 am

At home?

No idea if these are sufficiently strong to act as a surrogate-wider-desk :?:

(Just an example - other similar products are available - I have no personal experience)