PS2 emulation

Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

PS2 emulation

Post by Jobbo »

I didn't have a PS2 so was never particularly interested in playing old PS2 games. But my wife opened a parcel today containing The Urbz - Sims In The City which she'd bought for PS2 for about £3 thinking it would play on the PS3 attached to our living room telly. It won't because my PS3 is a slim and I've not modded it.

However, we do have a PS2 in my stepdaughter's room which she could use. But I idly wondered if I could run an emulator, since I play PS1 games on my 2012 Mac Mini that way; I use a PS4 Dualshock controller connected by Bluetooth so it's nice and wireless but feels fairly OE too. Turns out you can; PSCX2 will emulate a PS2 on a Mac (though oddly you can't download it for Mac from the 'official' site - can find it elsewhere easily). And it seems to work even on a Core2Duo which is 10 years old. The PS4 wireless controller works as well, didn't even need setting up because I'd done so previously for the PS1 emulation. The only downside is that I can't get it to play PS2 games directly from the Superdrive; I had to made an image using Diskutil and it runs from that.

I fear that I may notice some slowdowns in use but we'll see. The picture doesn't look too bad in fullscreen on a modern 43" telly, which is nice - modern hi-res TVs really show up the PS1 graphics :lol:
integrale_evo

Re: PS2 emulation

Post by integrale_evo »

Yep, early polygon games look pretty awful on modern TVs.

Oddly though, at the time the ps1 was always more graphically capable than the sega saturn, especially with some of the flashy lighting and particle effects.

But on a modern tv the colour dithering on ps1 is distractingly awful and a lot of Saturn games look better. I still love the occasional round of sega rally.
Cheers, Harry