Gran Turismo 7

Mito Man

Gran Turismo 7

Post by Mito Man »

I don’t think we had a specific thread for this and as potentially worlds greatest racing game it deserves one ;)
Got my copy last night and it was downloading an update for 10 hours. Just sat down to play it but it seems to have a bug where after the intro I can’t do anything. And you can’t skip the intro. It’s a nice intro but I’ve seen it 3 times now 🤦‍♂️
How about not having a sig at all?
dan

Re: Gran Turismo 7

Post by dan »

Do ps5’s actually exist now? I’d buy one and get this is if I could.
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

Is it actually any good?

I hated the last one I bought, whichever one that was on the ps3 ( gt 6 maybe? ) anyway, I thought it was shite, barely played it, bought a wheel because people told me it was much better with one. Still hated it.

Unless it really is amazing, I think I’ll leave my fondest gt memories with the first two games.
Cheers, Harry
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Had about 90 mins on it before my hand cramped up and I called it a night attempting to gold the driving tests :lol:
Still doing tutorial type stuff and haven’t unlocked everything yet. So far it’s pretty much like GT4 but in 4K which is a very good thing.
It has all the old geeky stuff like oil degradation, chassis wear etc. You have the same world map with in depth tuning, upgrades and the used car dealership which is where all the quirky stuff is. ;)

Physics pretty much feels like GT games always have done but there’s now proper day/night cycles and wet weather. It looks very nice. Cars sound pretty good for the first time. It feels single player focused again unlike the last one which they put no effort in.

Haven’t got far enough to find out but I hope they have the longer races with tyre wear and fuel consumption.
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

The best ever racing games are GT and GT2 on the original PlayStation. Re-releasing it slightly worse on each new generation console with higher res graphics is not progress.
Beany

Post by Beany »

integrale_evo wrote: Fri Mar 04, 2022 8:57 pm
Unless it really is amazing, I think I’ll leave my fondest gt memories with the first game
Corrected. GT2 was overreach on the ps1, GT1 was the better game.
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

As a game to play I preferred the original, but the second just had so many more awesome cars I can’t leave it out. Alfa 155dtm, escudo pikes peak, and being able to racing modify most saloon cars to a btcc / supertouring version was awesome.
Cheers, Harry
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

I’ll probably pick it up when I get a PS5 but I haven’t really liked a GT game since 4. Forza is my go to.
An absolute unit
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

Beany wrote: Fri Mar 04, 2022 11:25 pm
integrale_evo wrote: Fri Mar 04, 2022 8:57 pm
Unless it really is amazing, I think I’ll leave my fondest gt memories with the first game
Corrected. GT2 was overreach on the ps1, GT1 was the better game.
This. Still loved 2, but it never captured the wonder of the original.
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

integrale_evo wrote: Fri Mar 04, 2022 11:54 pm As a game to play I preferred the original, but the second just had so many more awesome cars I can’t leave it out. Alfa 155dtm, escudo pikes peak, and being able to racing modify most saloon cars to a btcc / supertouring version was awesome.
I agree with Bean and Duncs, but the extra tracks, cars and race formats of GT2 were amazing so I agree with you too, Harry.

I spent a summer playing GT so completely that I took 2 days off work when GT2 launched and didn’t regret it. Can’t imagine doing that with more recent versions.
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

I was in 6th form when GT2 came out, on the eve of the release they had a PS set up in HMV and were running a time trial on one of the new tracks. The guy running the comp had a ghost that he'd set up, and was saying how he'd practiced and the ghost should help people to see the direction of the track, but that nobody would likely beat it. Next best time wins a copy of the game or something.

Stepped up and beat him first time 8-), my mate who I'm still friends with likes to regale the story of how he was quite visibly upset that he got beaten so quickly (I was one of the first on it). My name went top of the leaderboard. I never heard from them, I'm sure lots went faster, it was a tentative lap as the track was completely unknown, but it's a satisfying memory nonetheless.:lol:
ShockDiamonds

Post by ShockDiamonds »

duncs500 wrote: Sat Mar 05, 2022 8:09 am I was in 6th form when GT2 came out, on the eve of the release they had a PS set up in HMV and were running a time trial on one of the new tracks. The guy running the comp had a ghost that he'd set up, and was saying how he'd practiced and the ghost should help people to see the direction of the track, but that nobody would likely beat it. Next best time wins a copy of the game or something.

Stepped up and beat him first time 8-), my mate who I'm still friends with likes to regale the story of how he was quite visibly upset that he got beaten so quickly (I was one of the first on it). My name went top of the leaderboard. I never heard from them, I'm sure lots went faster, it was a tentative lap as the track was completely unknown, but it's a satisfying memory nonetheless.:lol:
Part of the reason I stopped racing on AC a few years ago was flat-earthers declaring my times indicated I was cheating. I couldn’t be better, it must be a conspiracy.
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

As it happens I got Project Cars 2 a while ago and it turns out I'm now hopeless on racing games. I guess I just don't have time to give it any dedication.
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

How are you playing it? I didn’t like the handling on project cars 2 either, although after a while I could eventually string together the odd decent race.

I’m still a huge forza fan, it feels how my head remembers the early GT games did and is great to play even with a controller.
Cheers, Harry
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

integrale_evo wrote: Sun Mar 06, 2022 2:04 am How are you playing it? I didn’t like the handling on project cars 2 either, although after a while I could eventually string together the odd decent race.
Just with a normal controller, I don't play enough these days to justify a decent wheel.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Project Cars 2 was very inconsistent from what I remember - some cars handled well and others were just pure shit. There’s a great update to it called Automobilista 2 but it doesn’t have a career mode and I think it’s still PC only.
Barry

Post by Barry »

Got my copy today, sat here watching the tedious install (how big?!) having already done the three music rallies. I found the controller actually usable on this one, it was painfully tricky on GT Sport.

I'll fire the wheel up once I get into the game properly, in about six months when its finished d/l'ing,.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Apparently cancelling the install, disconnecting from the internet and then installing it is significantly faster - then reconnect to the internet to download the patch!
It’s just Sony being stupid and not downloading data from the CD but entirely from their servers which are dying :roll:
KiwiDave
Currently Driving: GT86

Post by KiwiDave »

Mate of mine here who's pretty into the various SIM racing things reckons the physics are way different and much more realistic and he's having to really learn how to drive the cars.

Which sounds fucking excellent to me...
Barry

Post by Barry »

KiwiDave wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 4:38 am Mate of mine here who's pretty into the various SIM racing things reckons the physics are way different and much more realistic and he's having to really learn how to drive the cars.

Which sounds fucking excellent to me...
Definite improvement, I'm finding my instinctive mid corner throttle and steering adjustments actually having an effect, even lfb feels like it changes the attitude (I'm a bit stabby with that mind). You can certainly balance a DC2 mid corner in the wet at Tokyo expressway though 😎

Still working through the early menus and licences, got a few exciting compacts in the garage so far.