New Phone Time

Carlos

Re: New Phone Time

Post by Carlos »

It will charge really fast but you need a USB PD brick which isn't supplied. I use an Anker one for phones, laptops, Switch etc

They'll charge pretty much any usb c device at its fastest speed.
Beany

Post by Beany »

Just whipped the Google charger it of the wall, and it does

5v at 3a and

9v at 2a

It charges the pixel 4 XL plenty fast. Pretty sure it uses USB PD spec.

Pixel 6 Pro charging is a bit different - 23w up to 50% then less up to 100%; apparently expect the first 50% to take 30 mins, the last 50% will take about an hour.

That is less aggressive than the P4XL which will charge like a banshee up to 80% but then they also have a battery warranty extension because they keep looking batteries...

See here for more info - USB PD charger (and cable) should do the job - but check to see if the charger/cable you have does a rapid charge up to 50%. I'd it does, then you're getting the best you can already.

https://www.androidcentral.com/which-fa ... -and-6-pro
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

So how are Pixel 6 users finding them?

My LG V30 is 4yrs old and falling apart (mainly as it has no protective case and has been dropped a few times) and, whilst I can live with a tatty loooking phone it's recently started to struggle to fast-charge. Could be cable-related I know, but battery health is now in the 70% band.

I've generally always preffered having a phone with removal storage (128Gb SD card in my LG) but I think my options are fairly limited now on that score. Hence been considering a Pixel. Had a Samsung S8 a few years ago and hated the bloatware, so a clean Android OS appeals. The frankly horrendous colours, however, do not, so would probably have to go with the grey/black.

Is the 6 Pro worth it over the 6? And how are the photos? The wife has an S22 and I'm quietly impressed with the photos it takes. My LG by comparison can be a bit cack, especially on wide-angle stuff where it seems to adopt a soft focus.
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

So far I've got no complaints about my 6 Pro. It does everything I want.

A few observations though:
  • it is big. I've got large hands but I struggle to use it one-handed (I know there's a special mode for it, but that's not the point)
  • It also doesn't fit comfortably into the back pocket of a pair of jeans. The top sticks out
  • The screen is soft touch. Feels like there's give underneath which makes it a bit odd compared to the more usual hard surface
That's about it really. If it hadn't been for the price I would have got the normal 6.
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away
Zonda_

Post by Zonda_ »

I’m waiting for the 6a next month, I’m going to buy one and Sell the S22
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

Zonda_ wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 6:26 pm I’m waiting for the 6a next month, I’m going to buy one and Sell the S22
I wasn't aware of this. And from a quick Google it seems that the 7 may only be a few months away. I'm wondering whether I might be best holding out for that.
Zonda_

Post by Zonda_ »

Swervin_Mervin wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 10:17 pm
Zonda_ wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 6:26 pm I’m waiting for the 6a next month, I’m going to buy one and Sell the S22
I wasn't aware of this. And from a quick Google it seems that the 7 may only be a few months away. I'm wondering whether I might be best holding out for that.
I thought that but then you get into the trap of always waiting for the new thing.
McSwede

Post by McSwede »

Swervin_Mervin wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 4:13 pm So how are Pixel 6 users finding them?

My LG V30 is 4yrs old and falling apart (mainly as it has no protective case and has been dropped a few times) and, whilst I can live with a tatty loooking phone it's recently started to struggle to fast-charge. Could be cable-related I know, but battery health is now in the 70% band.

I've generally always preffered having a phone with removal storage (128Gb SD card in my LG) but I think my options are fairly limited now on that score. Hence been considering a Pixel. Had a Samsung S8 a few years ago and hated the bloatware, so a clean Android OS appeals. The frankly horrendous colours, however, do not, so would probably have to go with the grey/black.

Is the 6 Pro worth it over the 6? And how are the photos? The wife has an S22 and I'm quietly impressed with the photos it takes. My LG by comparison can be a bit cack, especially on wide-angle stuff where it seems to adopt a soft focus.
I have a 6 pro and the wife has a 6. They're superb but mine does have the better camera.
DaveE

Post by DaveE »

I still love my Pixel 5 - as others have said, the 6 series are really big (way too big IMO)

Not sure what I may replace it with as there don't appear to be any half decent <6", stock Android options anymore

And inspite of my general lack of love fort iPhones, if they had USB-C I think I'd find them a more tempting option (although they are heavy buggers)
DaveE

Post by DaveE »

BTW, there's a really handy website where you can compare phone sizes:

https://www.phonearena.com/phones/size/ ... 1394,11732
16vCento
Currently Driving: XFS Portfolio
V60 D3 SE
Xantia Activa

Post by 16vCento »

I struggled to replace my S10 with anything that did anything significantly different or better than it.

The battery was o its arse though so I needed a new phone.

I've ended up with a Z Flip 3, not sure how long it will last, but it seems well made, has a big main screen when unfolded, and is tiny when folded up.

Takes up less space in my pocket, with a wallet case on carrying my cards, than my S10 did.
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

DaveE wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 9:17 am I still love my Pixel 5 - as others have said, the 6 series are really big (way too big IMO)

Not sure what I may replace it with as there don't appear to be any half decent <6", stock Android options anymore

And inspite of my general lack of love fort iPhones, if they had USB-C I think I'd find them a more tempting option (although they are heavy buggers)
Look at the Asus ZenFone 8. Bought one for my wife as she's a paid up member of the SPAS. It is a very impressive piece of kit, reasonably priced and with near stock Android.
---
Zonda_

Post by Zonda_ »

Pixel 6 currently £450 on Amazon
KevH18

Post by KevH18 »

It's the same direct from Google too. Advert was on YouTube earlier for them.
McSwede

Post by McSwede »

6 pro at £649 is a bargain!!
drcarlos

Post by drcarlos »

My Note 10 has lunched it's wireless charging coil and because the battery temp sensor is part of that assembly internally it also has started giving errors with battery temp being too low and stopping charging from the cable, so probably not far from total bricking. Considering it's not been dropped and it's cosmetically perfect it's annoying as I could understand it if it had been knocked about.
When I got it it was always a compromise as it had no headphone jack or SD slot (this was an oversight on my part as I should have checked more carefully as I have the normal and not the plus, the plus comes with a slot and the normal it's missing).
As much as I like the Nexus and Pixel lines for lack of bloat the standard 128GB isn't enough (Being a DJ I have all my music locally and have paid for it all and don't stream) and the 256GB models add too much of a premium to the device. When you do a factory reset internal storage is wiped out which is a pain when you have about 100GB of music loaded. I also like my headphones and don't want to use compromised BT ones unless I'm at the Gym.
So I have a refurbed Xperia 1 (v2) incoming, haven't had a Sony handset since the Xperia PS Phone but hopefully build is still strong and it will be more reliable than the Note, which made it a week out of warranty before failing. Didn't have a massive list of options but it got great reviews so we'll see.
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

I've always been impressed by Sony's quality and usability. My only concern was that on the earlier models that my wife has the amount of bloatware was on part with Samsung. I think they improved it later on though.
---
drcarlos

Post by drcarlos »

It arrived, first impressions are the screen is lovely, the fingerprint sensor is intuitive, well placed and works. It's very slippy and slidey without a case on. The Android implementation will take some time to get used to after 7 years of Samsung, nothing wrong essentially, just different. Bloatware wise there were a few amazon apps installed and CoD as well, disabling the ones I don't need removes their icons from the home screens as well (not something I've noticed before), but there doesn't seem a lot on there.
Setup with my Galaxy Active2 watch easily enough with a couple of Samsung apps installed (which requires a total watch reset and will need a strava re-sync too, I have no idea why Samsung force this), not a easy as Samsung but not hard.
DaveE

Post by DaveE »

DeskJockey wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 4:23 pm
DaveE wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 9:17 am I still love my Pixel 5 - as others have said, the 6 series are really big (way too big IMO)

Look at the Asus ZenFone 8. Bought one for my wife as she's a paid up member of the SPAS. It is a very impressive piece of kit, reasonably priced and with near stock Android.
Thanks I read some reviews and watched some videos as it was intriguing (and one I wasn't even aware of)

The camera looks like I'd notice a step back from what I have now though (and I take loads of photos)

I don't think the battery life is as stellar as the Pixel either

Shame though

But thank you for the suggestion
Simon

Post by Simon »

Who was asking for a small premium Android phone?

The artist formerly known as _Who_