New Phone Time

DeskJockey

New Phone Time

Post by DeskJockey »

Just found out that my OnePlus 6T is now out of support with no further security (or otherwise) updates coming. So, time to replace it.

What are the forum hivemind thinking about replacements? Don't want an iPhone.

Been thinking about a Google Pixel 6, but are there others I should consider? Not looking to spend much more than £600 and won't take out a handset on contract.
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away
Matty
Currently Driving: Up! GTi, Alfa 4C

Re: New Phone Time

Post by Matty »

Yeah my Pixel 3a runs out of support in May 2022 - problem is, I don't really want to replace it. Runs well, still ends the day with ~40% battery, camera is great...I might have to try the custom ROM option I think.
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

I considered that, but most banking apps still (AFAIK) won't run on a rooted/bootloader unlocked phone. Need the phone to do all the usual grown-up stuff.
---
scotta

Post by scotta »

The IPhone 6s is still receiving iOS updates. It was launched in 2015.

Get an iPhone!
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

Don't like iPhones.
---
8Ball

Post by 8Ball »

I've just upgraded from a OnePlus 6 to a Pixel 6 Pro. Only thing I've really missed is the slider to put it on mute/vibrate
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

I'm leaning towards the P6. Don't mind the lack of the slider, mine broke within a month of getting the phone (child dropped it on the floor), so not going to miss it.

Was initially thinking about Samsung as they've got the best update policies (but loads of bloat), but I'm not paying over a grand for a phone. Need to let it sink in for a bit, but a Pixel 6 is the most likely candidate.
---
McSwede

Post by McSwede »

I have a 6 Pro and the wife's has a 6. They're superb phones and great value. That'd be my recommendation (obvs) 👍
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

McSwede wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 9:45 am I have a 6 Pro and the wife's has a 6. They're superb phones and great value. That'd be my recommendation (obvs) 👍
Are you suggesting I take advice from someone with actual experience of the device I'm considering? Crazy talk!

Thank you.
---
McSwede

Post by McSwede »

DeskJockey wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 11:22 am
McSwede wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 9:45 am I have a 6 Pro and the wife's has a 6. They're superb phones and great value. That'd be my recommendation (obvs) 👍
Are you suggesting I take advice from someone with actual experience of the device I'm considering? Crazy talk!

Thank you.
Ha. I know. That kind of thinking will never take off 😂
Zonda_

Post by Zonda_ »

I’m late to this thread but I had a Pixel 6 and sent it back as it kept crashing the iDrive in my car, literally the whole thing would go black then reboot.
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

That sounds odd. Luckily neither of our cars are that advanced.

Was others experiencing the issue as well? Interesting if it was a wider problem.
---
Zonda_

Post by Zonda_ »

DeskJockey wrote: Sat Mar 12, 2022 6:01 pm That sounds odd. Luckily neither of our cars are that advanced.

Was others experiencing the issue as well? Interesting if it was a wider problem.
Just Googled it, lots of issues reported with them and iDrive.
McSwede

Post by McSwede »

I've used my Pixel 6 Pro and my wife's 6 in the M140i and my new 330e with no problems on the idrive FWIW
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

A week into it with a Pixel 6 Pro. Colleague had bought it for himself, but didn't get on with it, so sold it to me for the price of a new Pixel 6. As it happens his was broken, so sent it back and I've got the new one they sent back.

Initial impressions are that it is quite heavy compared to my old phone, but apart from that and getting used to some of the UI changes, it works well. I wish it would charge faster though.
---
Beany

Post by Beany »

If check the specs on what is capable of charging at, as it's might be the charger it came with is pish.

I know my pixel 4xl can charge at >3A at 9v (so a real 25w+) on a decent USB c charger....
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

It didn't come with a charger. Research suggests it needs a special charger/cable.
---
McSwede

Post by McSwede »

DeskJockey wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 10:45 pm It didn't come with a charger. Research suggests it needs a special charger/cable.
I use either my Pixel 2xl charger, from the 5v 3amp usb-c port on my twin sockets at home or the 2amp usb-c in the car

It charges plenty fast. No special cable required as far as I'm aware.
McSwede

Post by McSwede »

McSwede wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 11:00 am
DeskJockey wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 10:45 pm It didn't come with a charger. Research suggests it needs a special charger/cable.
I use either my Pixel 2xl charger, from the 5v 3amp usb-c port on my twin sockets at home or the 2amp usb-c in the car

It charges plenty fast. No special cable required as far as I'm aware.
That's not quite true. My wife uses the 2xl charger for her 6 and I got a new charger from Google when I bought the 2 phones. 😁
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

*My* phone didn't come with a charger. Others may have :D

I'll dig out my OnePlus charger and see if that improves things. Not a major issue, but being used to the charging speed of my work Samsung and own OnePlus it feels a bit teen years ago.
---