End of free GSuite

Beany

Re: End of free GSuite

Post by Beany »

I fucking wish it was access databases, recovery would be easier.

The horror of recovering an exchange DB from a RAID 5 array that had crashed.....eeesh. Think I ended up recovering from a week old backup, and then PSTing everyones mailboxes on the client machines to make up the difference.

Exchange is an utter heap of shit.
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

tim wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 8:40 pm I am with Gin, will respond in the am. (Y)
Still on the gin?
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away
DaveE

Post by DaveE »

Beany wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 5:38 pm I fucking wish it was access databases, recovery would be easier.

The horror of recovering an exchange DB from a RAID 5 array that had crashed.....eeesh. Think I ended up recovering from a week old backup, and then PSTing everyones mailboxes on the client machines to make up the difference.

Exchange is an utter heap of shit.
After about 10+ years of working for companies that use Google Docs, Gmail etc, I'm about to start a new role at a "Microsoft house"

The fear of going to back to Outlook, MS Word etc, and <shudder> Sharepoint is very strong indeed...
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

Looks like Google was surprised by how many users they had. They're now offering a migration to a free Gmail option (but with a new email address) and might also be considering options for personal use of the legacy system. Will see. May still move it all away to a paid for service.
---
Beany

Post by Beany »

Given the utter ballache of maintaining email (SPF, DKIM, IP reputation etc) I'd still consider just paying for a Gmail account and running my domain through it.

Was obviously more tempting when it were free, but having to look after email systems day to day, I'm fucked - absolutely fucked - if I'm doing that for my own shite too :lol:
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

I agree and if they come back with a reasonable cost option, I'll not bother moving. It was whether I move to M365 Family or similar.
---
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

Result! Google has reversed the decision completely, so no need to change anything.
---
drcarlos

Post by drcarlos »

This is brilliant news! I had researched and found a new supplier and was about to start the migration in a week or so. I admin a non-profit and we had about 40 addresses in use (of which I binned about 10 straight away as they were for old users) but the remaining 20 users and 10 bucket accounts with forwarding etc on them were going to be a complete ballache. I'd got the cost down to reasonable levels but still for a non-profit it was hard to swallow. As we aren't a registered charity there was no way via googles system to get it free.
I wonder if they just wanted people to clean up the accounts they weren't using like I did so they reclaim storage.
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

Good question. I would highly recommend getting the nonprofit registered as a charity so you can get the proper charity access. We've done it for our PTA and it wasn't too onerous.
---
drcarlos

Post by drcarlos »

DeskJockey wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 10:40 am Good question. I would highly recommend getting the nonprofit registered as a charity so you can get the proper charity access. We've done it for our PTA and it wasn't too onerous.
We do donate profits from events we run but we aren't a registered charity. I can ask the Chairman and President about looking into it and see what they say.