Plex

Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Re: Plex

Post by Jobbo »

I have had a pair of WD Reds for longer than I probably should without checking them. Basically the same data on each, not RAID, just duplicated.

Looking back at my e-mails, they're 9 years old. Probably worthwhile replacing one of them now at least. No idea if a WD Red bought in 2022 is as good, but I think they've done sterling service so would recommend. If you can find any 2013 stock :lol:
Sundayjumper
Currently Driving: Peugeot 406

Post by Sundayjumper »

Jobbo wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 5:58 pm If you can find any 2013 stock :lol:
And a time machine, so that they're brand-new 2013, not 2013 that have sat in a cupboard for nine years :lol:
Sundayjumper

Post by Sundayjumper »

Beany wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 5:57 pm ...your 'other' drive might shit a biscuit during the rebuild process...
Oh. Brill. There's all the photos from my phone backed up there. I suppose the phone is the backup if the NAS goes down.
Beany

Post by Beany »

Sundayjumper wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 6:55 pm
Beany wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 5:57 pm ...your 'other' drive might shit a biscuit during the rebuild process...
Oh. Brill. There's all the photos from my phone backed up there. I suppose the phone is the backup if the NAS goes down.
A 2tb USB drive is cheap these days, and there's a way to backup to external drives from the NAS so do that, then do the disk swop. Any problem, just nuke the whole thing and recover from backup.

I'd recommend reading up on that one (and the ways of doing it) as it's not quite a 'one liner' to back up in a way that's convenient to you.

And yeeeeaaaah, the disks in my NAS are probably eight years old, and have most recently spent a few years with the NAS under a pile of takeaway boxes - so the whole thing is probably due a refresh on my one - device and disks.
Sundayjumper

Post by Sundayjumper »

Pair of WD Red Plus 4TB ordered from ebuyer, who reckon they'll get delivered tomorrow. Very impressive if they can manage that !
Matty
Currently Driving: Up! GTi, Alfa 4C

Post by Matty »

My only issues with WD Reds is they're pretty noisy. Worth considering if you work/sleep/sit near your NAS.

Otherwise, pretty solid. Recently installed in my Synology....just need a decent outdoor camera so I can get that working.
Sundayjumper

Post by Sundayjumper »

Noise isn't too much of an issue, the NAS lives in a cupboard.

Which come to think of it probably isn't very good for heat management and might have hastened the death of the old HDD. I'll just leave the door ajar for now...
Beany

Post by Beany »

Don't overthink temperatures - again, my NAS lived under a pile of crap for three years, and it's fine.

Unless it's continuously reporting temps of significantly over 50deg on the device/disks it'll probably make no functional different to the lifespan.

It's hefty temperature swings, and more importantly, psychical shocks that are an issue. Intermittently opening and closing the cupboard firmly would do more 'harm' than just leaving it shut, hypothetically.

Stick some holes in the back near the top though, any warm air will escape more easily, if it makes you feel better :D
Sundayjumper

Post by Sundayjumper »

Beany wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 9:48 pm Stick some holes in the back near the top though, any warm air will escape more easily, if it makes you feel better :D
It's funny you should mention it, but warm air escaping from a hole at the back does make me feel better ;)

Although it made my wife a bit nauseous, and even the dog got up & left the room.
Beany

Post by Beany »

Eat less eggs.
Sundayjumper

Post by Sundayjumper »

Sundayjumper wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 8:49 pm Pair of WD Red Plus 4TB ordered from ebuyer, who reckon they'll get delivered tomorrow. Very impressive if they can manage that !
Order placed yesterday @ 20:46. Pair of HDDs delivered here at 11:16 today. That is bloody good service 8-)

900B18CB-6C8C-4E67-AABA-FD76479F04B4.jpeg
900B18CB-6C8C-4E67-AABA-FD76479F04B4.jpeg (104.99 KiB) Viewed 707 times
Beany

Post by Beany »

That is impressive. I've seen similar from Amazon Business (headset ordered 4pm, at my door 3pm next day) but I'll have to remember that for when I get around to replacing my NAS - I'll probably play it extra safe, buy a new (well, used but newer!) chassis and disks, set up as new then migrate the data over the network....
NGRhodes

Post by NGRhodes »

Beany wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 5:56 pm I think reds would be fine. You can get 'surveillance drives' that are intended for constant writing, but I get the impression that they're really for systems that have, say, sixteen cameras and are dumping far more data than a couple of IP cams.
It's all marketing, given same brand and same spec/age, they are all the same hardware underneath, even down to the inbuilt cache read/write split, they all perform identical, the only difference you are paying for is the warranty and warrantied usage.
Beany

Post by Beany »

Plex users, log out from your plex account, and reset your passwords or something.

https://forums.unraid.net/topic/127537- ... se-hacked/
Simon

Post by Simon »

Yeah I got an email about this. I now have a very strong password that's gonna be a nightmare to enter on the TV.
The artist formerly known as _Who_
KiwiDave
Currently Driving: GT86

Post by KiwiDave »

Yeah same...

And as a sidenote because my partner is a feckin eejit with this stuff she had demanded the passwords be easy for this, Amazon Prime, Disney + and Netflix. Against my better judgment I agreed.

Now the passwords aren't the same but they're close enough I wanted to change them all this morning, which is where I ran into the idea that Disney+ obviously still keep your account functional after you've unsubscribed, but do you think you can log in and change your password? Hard fuck no, cannot get to it without resubscribing. So they've got a month of my money so I can be 3000% sure nothing is compromised and then they'll never get a cent again. Shonky AF business practice - security should come above everything else. Absolute cunts.
Beany

Post by Beany »

I also got an email - didn't even realise I had a Plex account :lol:
NGRhodes

Post by NGRhodes »

Disney Plus are cheeky, I had to resubscribe just to add a 12month code, I was able to unsubscribe immediately after.
Got the plex email this morning, good reminder for me to try out Jellyfin.