Video door bells

Mito Man

Re: Video door bells

Post by Mito Man »

I think Blink and Ring are the same stuff just packaged differently. Blink are a bit cheaper but seem to make their money back through having a more expensive subscription.
How about not having a sig at all?
MikeHunt

Post by MikeHunt »

Ive just taken advantaged of prime and purchased the Netamo doorbell, I have owned a few of their cameras inside and outside the house for a few years and have been impressed.

Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

integrale_evo wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 4:53 pm They’re normally £50 for the bell and £30 for the sync box, but currently £50 for the pair bought together. £45 for a single camera or £78 for a pair.
That's interesting - have I ballsed up? I got the £45 one which is, I think, a single camera plus sync box. The same listing on Amazon offered two camera, 3 camera and 4 camera packs, plus single add-on cameras for £40. Will be interesting when it arrives to see if I get the sync box; if not it's going back :lol:

You can use it quite happily without a subscription. Can do live viewing remotely and store footage on a USB stick on the sync box. Won't be doing cloud backups automatically but that's not an issue when you're mainly wanting to watch hedgehogs.
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

Ah, I don’t know, there were all sorts of different bundles and listings, some only came up when you chose a product so no idea if there were better than what I saw.

I got a bell and sync box as a bundle and 2 cameras and an echo view as a bundle. Having the view with the cameras worked out £5 cheaper than the bell+sync+view bundle plus 2 cameras.

Will be mainly used for watching cats rather than any particular security concerns :lol:
Cheers, Harry
Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

I have no interest in doorbells and I don't know what an Echo view is, so Amazon Prime day was made for ignoramuses like me to order stuff they don't understand, clearly :lol: If I actually get to see cats chasing hedgehogs, or even a piece of grass which is entirely undisturbed, I shall be amazed.
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

Jobbo wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 12:14 pm I have no interest in doorbells and I don't know what an Echo view is, so Amazon Prime day was made for ignoramuses like me to order stuff they don't understand
+1 :lol:

We only have a door knocker which I can't hear in my office so I just wanted something that see/hear when I'm working from home. I'm not so concerned with security because our Back Garden is very difficult to access (You have to go through other gardens and both neighbors have Security Lights, Cameras etc.

And the only thing out the front of the house is the car which doesn't belong to me so good luck to them...
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

My £45 Blink Outdoor did indeed come with the sync box, if anyone is considering ordering.
MikeHunt

Post by MikeHunt »

I setup my doorbell last night, relatively easy to convert a mains powered doorbell to digital and keeps the existing chime. Probably not for everyone, but it can be setup to popup an alert on your phone and/or watch when the bell is pressed. I thought my Netamo was a bargain ,but reality expensive compared to the Blink. The Apple tax probably accounts for at least some of that cost.
Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

The Blink is very easy to set up. I can see why they give you a short trial period of the cloud recording service - it’s great fun watching the cats walk past the camera in little clips while I’m waiting for my wife’s flight to land.
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

Yep, I was the one who ballsed up, the cameras came with a sync box so didn’t need to order the bell + box combo. Never mind, was only about a tenner extra with the bits I wanted.

Had a brief play but not fixed anything in place yet. Need to see about getting a WiFi extender for my shed so I can have another camera up there.
Cheers, Harry
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

Ring 3 installed and configured. Very easy really

I got an a wider angled mount, blocked off the neighbours door and adjusted the motion detector to miss out the street.
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Gavin
Currently Driving: Skoda Superb, R56 Cooper S

Post by Gavin »

Genuinely curious, possibly as I have no bother with dodgy delivery men and live in a rural semi village. Why do you need these Orwellian bells?
Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

Gavin wrote: Sat Jul 16, 2022 10:39 am Genuinely curious, possibly as I have no bother with dodgy delivery men and live in a rural semi village. Why do you need these Orwellian bells?
I don’t care about the doorbell cameras - in fact, what I got doesn’t have that functionality. I just got CCTV basically, to see what the cats get up to.
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

The Prime deal I got was a Ring 3 and an Echo Show 5 but the Echo got lost in transit.

I contacted them and they've immediately arranged another one to be sent AND a Chime by way as an apology...

which is nice...
Zonda_

Post by Zonda_ »

Gavin wrote: Sat Jul 16, 2022 10:39 am Genuinely curious, possibly as I have no bother with dodgy delivery men and live in a rural semi village. Why do you need these Orwellian bells?
Glad someone asked as I'm struggling to see the point. Mito mentioned never missing a delivery, how do they prevent this? I had DPD delivering a parcel last week and the sender had specified it was not to be left with a neighbour or in my safe place and had to be signed for. Being able to see or talk to the driver wouldn't have altered anything.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

I've never had a delivery refused because I wasn't there apart from items which require ID due to being over 18. It was a knife you perverts.
They just ask your name, and then ask you where you want it, then take a picture and go.
How about not having a sig at all?
Zonda_

Post by Zonda_ »

Mito Man wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 10:00 am I've never had a delivery refused because I wasn't there apart from items which require ID due to being over 18. It was a knife you perverts.
They just ask your name, and then ask you where you want it, then take a picture and go.
Interesting as I had to rearrange the delivery twice. I’d put a note on the door to say leave parcel in garage but the driver didn’t. Don’t know why they were so tight about it, it was a gaming chair!
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

We’ve quite often come back from being out and found packages left on the front door. Having a camera won’t stop them going missing but will prove that they actually attempted to deliver.

We have also had an argument with a courier company who claimed no one was in then took a photo of a random gate down the road to prove it 🤣

I don’t particularly want a doorbell, but it seems a subtle unobtrusive way to have a camera keeping an eye on the front of the house and the cars parked there.
Cheers, Harry
Zonda_

Post by Zonda_ »

integrale_evo wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 11:02 am We’ve quite often come back from being out and found packages left on the front door. Having a camera won’t stop them going missing but will prove that they actually attempted to deliver.

We have also had an argument with a courier company who claimed no one was in then took a photo of a random gate down the road to prove it 🤣

I don’t particularly want a doorbell, but it seems a subtle unobtrusive way to have a camera keeping an eye on the front of the house and the cars parked there.
We have a St Bernard for that!
MikeHunt

Post by MikeHunt »

integrale_evo wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 11:02 am I don’t particularly want a doorbell, but it seems a subtle unobtrusive way to have a camera keeping an eye on the front of the house and the cars parked there.
Same here, I do have wired security cameras and felt it was a good addition to have an extra camera with different technology.
Zonda_ wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 11:16 am We have a St Bernard for that!
What about when he goes for a walk? :lol: