Foz

Video door bells

Post by Foz »

Any good?

Ring or Nest seem to be the main ones.
DeskJockey

Re: Video door bells

Post by DeskJockey »

No experience as an owner, but the Ring doorbell they had at the children's nursery wasn't great. It seemed to run out of battery and when it was cold it became difficult to get to work.

I'd also look at the data privacy concerns raised about them. There's been quite a lot of talk about what the provider does with the data, don't know if it is as bad here as in the US though.
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away
Sundayjumper
Currently Driving: Peugeot 406

Post by Sundayjumper »

We have a Ring. The battery does seem to need changing quite regularly. We ended up buying a spare battery so that we can keep a fully charged one ready the whole time.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

I think they're great, never miss a delivery. They do really need a wifi router really close by to work properly though.
How about not having a sig at all?
scotta

Post by scotta »

I’ve got the wired ring one. It’s excellent.

I’ve also got a couple of blink cameras. They seem to be doing a doorbell. The blink cameras use lithium batteries. I’ve just replaced the set in our garden camera after 7 months.
Foz

Post by Foz »

Cheers, will check if the current one is wired!
teacherboy

Post by teacherboy »

Ditto on the ring wired doorbell, just worth noting that it needs a 5-6v feed and not 230-240v as a lot of doorbells have. You can get an adaptor or swap doorbell for around £12 to one that has a transformer in it and then use existing bell wiring from that to feed the ring doorbell itself.
IanF
Currently Driving: Ferrari F430 Spider
BMW M4 Comp
Mini Cooper
LR Evoque P300e

Post by IanF »

I’ve got a battery powered Ring at one property - great system but pita keeping on top of charging (solution is to do the same as SJ does obviously). I’ve installed two wired Ring security cameras at another that are far better and, as they have a light system, offer a better deterrent imho.

However, I’ve just received and email from Costco with a solar powered camera system from Eufy.. I’ve one of their robot hoovers and it’s very good/reliable, so maybe that’s a solution?

https://www.costco.co.uk/c/Whats-New?q= ... _term=eufy
Cheers,

Ian
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

I don't know about the doorbells but I've still got 3 Ring solar powered cameras and I've never had to recharge those. Obviously less likely to work on a doorbell if it's under a porch but then you might as well wire it...
How about not having a sig at all?
Ascender
Currently Driving: 2019 M2 Competition

Post by Ascender »

Another vote for Ring, very good quality images, utterly reliable and the battery lasts a decent amount of time.
Cheers,

Mike.
Delphi
Currently Driving: Porsche 928 S4, Porsche 987 Boxster 2.7, Volvo XC40

Post by Delphi »

Bit late but we had a Ring doorbell. It was OK, but I object to paying a fee just to use my fucking doorbell. As I've got Eufy security cameras, I switched to the Eufy doorbell and it's great. Everything integrates in one easy to use app and there's no ongoing fee to use.
If you get all wobbly-lipped about the opinion of Internet strangers, maybe it's time to take a bath with the toaster as you'll never amount to sh1t anyway.
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

Amazon is desperate for me to buy a Video Doorbell this week... :lol:

Have I got this right ??

Ring 2 - Basic, Single Band. But will allow you to speak with someone at your door remotely. Battery is limited. Motion detector is not configurable

Ring 3 - Betterer - Dual Band (so better connectivity, picture quality). all of the above features but with adjustable motion detection sensitivity

Ring 4 - Betterest - Ring 3 with Colour picture and 4 seconds of bonus material

In all cases, if you miss the call and want to go back to see who triggered the system, you need to pay extra for a subscription service
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
mik

Post by mik »

Chunky savings available on Ring products in the Prime sale - which finishes today.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/l/29493558031/ ... mail_prime
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

I really want one where I can configure the motion detection.

I'll need one of those 45 degree mounts, otherwise, it point right towards my neighbours door - not that I think they'd complain but they've got kids coming and going all day and the battery wouldn't last

But angled at the street, I might get every dog walker who passes by.

for this, I think I need the 3 or 4
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

mik wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 11:23 am Chunky savings available on Ring products in the Prime sale - which finishes today.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/l/29493558031/ ... mail_prime
Cheers for the prompt - I've just ordered some Blink Mini outdoor cameras. Single camera with the Sync box is £45 currently, 50% off.
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

I went for the Ring 3...
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

I couldn't buy a Ring - my wife absolutely hated them when she was delivering for Hermes, so she'd not countenance one on the house. I only want CCTV anyway, to spot wildlife. The Blink is apparently quite good for that and it's nice and cheap.
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

Tempted to give some blink stuff a go as we’ve basically got zero security bar physical things. It’s pretty affordable and gets decent enough reviews.

I guess like all these things, you can do as much reading as you like but until you live with them it’s hard to tell what they’re actually going to be like.

The default Ring chime and the size of them alone puts me off them 🤣
Cheers, Harry
IanF
Currently Driving: Ferrari F430 Spider
BMW M4 Comp
Mini Cooper
LR Evoque P300e

Post by IanF »

I was reading about Blink cameras last week, think they’ve been below £50 for a while but maybe the box is extra?

Anyway, seems the battery lasts 2 years which is just a couple of AA/AAAs (not sure which one), and are pretty reliable by all accounts.

I didn’t realise Amazon owns them and Ring.
Cheers,

Ian
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

They’re normally £50 for the bell and £30 for the sync box, but currently £50 for the pair bought together. £45 for a single camera or £78 for a pair.
Cheers, Harry