Toasters

mik

Re: Toasters

Post by mik »

Rich B wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 8:16 pm Everything else in my kitchen is Bosch. The non-integrated stuff is brushed metal, the spashback is white glass. So I bought a brushed metal and white glass Bosch toaster.
Our kettle is a white & metal Bosch, but even though they sit side by side we bought a white & metal toaster from a nice man called Russel Hobbs. It takes large bread. The only annoying thing is that apertures 3&4 are only active if 1&2 are active - so they get less use.
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

I bought a John Lewis toaster for the office. It is impossible to burn toast with it at least; even on the darkest setting it's still too light.
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

Russell Hobbs here. It doesn't match but IDGAF. By virtue of being a long 2-slot toaster though, it does not only 4 standard tin-loaf slices but also one's sourdough bloomer slices.

I'm surprised there aren't more long-slot toasters - they take up significantly less space than the 4 individual slot toasters and can accommdoate larger non-standard slices.
mik

Post by mik »

I feel we need more images in this thread. Sometimes words are just not enough. Please don’t reveal your location however - I don’t want anyone to increase their chance of burglary via ownership of a high-desirability toasting device. :?

Library image of ours.

Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

This, I think:

Simon

Post by Simon »

I have one of these.

Had it for 19 years this Christmas, still going strong.

Wife is currently pressurising me to change it as she doesn't like how it's looks, nor does it match the kettle, but I'm loathe to chuck something out that still works (and works well IMO). That's just wasteful.

She can't get good toast out of it but I think that's because she doesn't set the dial correctly.
The artist formerly known as _Who_
mik

Post by mik »

Simon wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 11:12 am

She can't get good toast out of it but I think that's because she doesn't set the dial correctly.
Not wives specifically wives, but some people treat toaster dials like thermostats and climate control settings in the car…..
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

mik wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 11:16 am

Not wives specifically wives, but some people treat toaster dials like thermostats and climate control settings in the car…..
yeah, my missus turns the dial to its lowest setting then puts the toast through about 3 times... bizarre. The worst thing is she leaves it on the lowest setting.
Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

Toaster in the office:

Toaster at home (which came with sandwich cage but I tend to leave that in the cupboard):

I do wish I'd got a long-slot toaster for the office because not only does the JL one not toast particularly well, slices poke out of the top. But if you want to accommodate any size, I suppose you could go for one of these:

simon_g

Post by simon_g »

Bought a 2 slice newgen Dualit because I went shopping after a very boozy lunch over a decade ago. Felt like mental money at the time, but it's still great, cleans up perfectly, doesn't take up too much space. Decent buy.

The instructions include how to fully strip and repair it, and spares are cheap and available. I really wish more domestic appliances were the same.
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

mik wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 11:16 am

:lol:
Simon

Post by Simon »

Jobbo wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 11:42 am
Toaster at home (which came with sandwich cage but I tend to leave that in the cupboard):
Ooh, a 3 slice toaster? What kind of black magic is this?
Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

I think the first 3-slice Dualit had two lift-up slots and the third just accommodated the sandwich cage - you couldn't get a normal piece of toast out. A mate of mine has one like that from the late 90s. I got mine a few years later and the 3-slice still came with the sandwich cage but the lift-up lever works on all 3 slots. And you can probably tell from the image that you can turn on one, two or three slots at a time.

I'm sure a 4-slot is great but it seems much bulkier in a kitchen and you can only turn on 1, 2 or 4 slots at a time. So if you want 3 pieces of toast one piece will be burned on one side :lol: Anyway, if you're going for the larger Dualit then the old Benjys specials would be good (but they're 2, 4 or 6 slots on at a time):

Simon

Post by Simon »

Funnily enough if they were 3 regular slots then that'd suit us down to the ground as I normally have two slices and Deb has one.

However, I'd never get it past the committee as the 3 slot is about £190 which is fairly spendy for a toaster.

That said, she's complaining about the toasted sandwich maker too so I may be able to get it on the premise that we're freeing up some cupboard space by buying it.
Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

The 3-slot is far easier to accommodate in the kitchen than the 4-slice. And it may be a bit pricey but they become part of the family. I get the feeling Dualits may be less wife-friendly than a regular pop-up toaster though, so do show her the ones with painted ends: https://www.dualit.com/products/3-slice ... nvas-white

Sadly the trendy colours are reserved for the 2 and 4-slice versions :lol:
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

We've got a long slotted one, it's a bit crap as toasters go, but long slot is essential. It's pretty rare that we eat bread in your typical supermarket sliced bread shape. :geek:
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

Duncs bread
CDFDD219-D020-4A7E-AA83-72383E6EE3A0.jpeg
CDFDD219-D020-4A7E-AA83-72383E6EE3A0.jpeg (54.92 KiB) Viewed 1035 times
An absolute unit
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

ZedLeg wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 7:43 am Duncs bread

CDFDD219-D020-4A7E-AA83-72383E6EE3A0.jpeg
They do look delicious. :-D
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

Sundayjumper wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 5:55 pm Needs a bagel setting for sure.
We bought a new "Kitchen Set" - Kettle, Microwave, Toaster etc and it looks lovely but the toaster doesn't have a Bagel setting. I didn't mind this because I personally prefer both sides of the Bagel toasted.

But I missed it this week when I tried to toast one side of a Bap for a Chicken Burger.

so in summary, you should have a Bagel setting... :lol:
Last edited by dinny_g on Thu Dec 09, 2021 10:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

The purpose of a toaster is to do what a grill can't - toast both sides at once. If you want to toast just one side, use a grill, surely?

Sticking a kebab in a chicken burger sounds pretty good though 8-)