My iPhone 7 Plus - still ND

Sundayjumper
Currently Driving: Peugeot 406

My iPhone 7 Plus - still ND

Post by Sundayjumper »

(mostly a PSA)

Like an idiot I dropped my phone on Tuesday and it managed to land in just the right way to shatter the screen. Come Christmas it'll be four years old and I've not replaced it in the past because - honestly - it does everything I need. My wife upgraded to an 11 a year or two ago I've never felt even the slightest pang of envy.

So the thought of being forced into ££££s of upgrade was quite disappointing.

Thankfully there are legions of Chinese peasants working for less than a dollar a day so that we in the civilised and educated West can buy a replacement screen, including the tools to fit it, delivered to our door in under 48 hours for less than £20 quid:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/373633650052

I fitted it today, and apart from me borking the connection to the ambient light sensor, it went well. The colours are slightly muted compared to the genuine Apple screen but it fits perfectly and it works so for £20 I will allow it. My phone lives on.

Even the bit I need to un-bork it, which includes the front camera, is only just over a fiver:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/193370408900

God bless those Chinese peasants and all the externalised costs that will never ever come back to haunt us.
Sundayjumper
Currently Driving: Peugeot 406

Re: My iPhone 7 Plus - still ND

Post by Sundayjumper »

I didn’t take photos while it was apart because… derr… but this was the state of the old screen.

68509D8E-7EE3-440A-BFE6-A6B62E52F9DC.jpeg
68509D8E-7EE3-440A-BFE6-A6B62E52F9DC.jpeg (90.86 KiB) Viewed 413 times
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

I wouldn’t worry too much about the screen colour, I’ve noticed a massive difference in colour from different iPhones of the same generation which have been bought brand new / original screens.

Of course, being an iPhone there’s no way to tweak it :cry:

Amazed me how easy it was to change the battery on my old 6s given the fuss people make about it. Would still be using that if the charger port wasn’t so worn it was hit and miss whether it would charge.
Cheers, Harry
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

integrale_evo wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 10:36 am I wouldn’t worry too much about the screen colour, I’ve noticed a massive difference in colour from different iPhones of the same generation which have been bought brand new / original screens.

Of course, being an iPhone there’s no way to tweak it :cry:

Amazed me how easy it was to change the battery on my old 6s given the fuss people make about it. Would still be using that if the charger port wasn’t so worn it was hit and miss whether it would charge.
ive changed a charge port on an iPhone 6 - like everything else, it was initially a daunting idea, but turned out to be simple and only cost about a fiver.
IanF
Currently Driving: Ferrari F430 Spider
BMW M4 Comp
Mini Cooper
LR Evoque P300e

Post by IanF »

Apple is to start selling repair kits in the new year so you can replace a screen/battery etc. after some ruling from Biden about recycling (?).

Only for 12 onwards though..
Cheers,

Ian