FAO Mac users.

Zonda_

FAO Mac users.

Post by Zonda_ »

I'm currently working in a place that uses Macs, all the files I use to deliver my courses are Microsoft but I thought I'd plug my USB is and see. The Mac opens everything as though it's a Windows machine (just faster) if I make changes can I save the files so there are still readable on Windows machines as the other venues do not have Macs?

Seriously impressed by the speed, currently without a computer at home so could be persuaded...
Gavster
Currently Driving: ya mum

Re: FAO Mac users.

Post by Gavster »

What software are you using?

As far as I'm aware, working between Mac and Windows in the Office suite works well. I do a lot of work with academics handling large text files and spreadsheets with track changes in Word and Excel, they are usually on Windows machines while I only use Macs and we've not had any problems between platforms.
Zonda_

Post by Zonda_ »

The Office 365 suite.
JonMad
Currently Driving: 2015 Swift; 2012 Yeti; 2006 Fabia

Post by JonMad »

Yep, don't see any issues with Word, Excel, PowerPoint between Mac and Windows.
Left over crest; tightens.
Delphi
Currently Driving: Porsche 928 S4, Porsche 987 Boxster 2.7, Volvo XC40

Post by Delphi »

You should be fine, mate. Here at Sky, business types (BAs, Scrum Masters, Managers) all run Windows laptops, and all us devs use Macbooks. No one has ever had an issue regarding document compatibility. I've transferred stuff between my work Macbook and my Windows desktop PC and vice versa without any problems whatsoever.
If you get all wobbly-lipped about the opinion of Internet strangers, maybe it's time to take a bath with the toaster as you'll never amount to sh1t anyway.
Gavster

Post by Gavster »

TBH it's a 2010 problem, they seem to be really good at the cross-platfrom compatibility on desktop and mobile too.
Ascender
Currently Driving: 2019 M2 Competition

Post by Ascender »

Yip, zero problems with Office between Mac and PC for a very long time since Microsoft got their act together.

I do still get some quirks if I use the Apple suite of apps, but even they're getting better all the time with their native Office support.
Cheers,

Mike.
Beany

Post by Beany »

Yeah, about a decade ago they decided they had to make Office for Mac a first party solution, and since then it's been pretty solid.
Ascender

Post by Ascender »

Just need a native Apple Silicon version now.... Teams in particular is a real pig.
Cheers,

Mike.
DaveE

Post by DaveE »

Ascender wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 10:14 am Just need a native Apple Silicon version now.... Teams in particular is a real pig.
Teams on my Intel MacBook Pro is awful though

Fans on high almost immediately, massive battery drain etc

It's probably all based on Flash video or something 😂
robin_cox

Post by robin_cox »

on a non-Intel MBP Teams runs without the fans activating at all - I've had to use it with my workplace the last year+. Up until January I was using my 2014 MBP, and this did have the constant droning fans in the background - and also it was a real favourite of our cats draping themselves around the corner of the screen onto the keyboard and my left hand where most of the relatively significant heat-soak was evident. Since I got the M1 MPB in January, they now go to sleep on the neoprene laptop case a foot away on the table - I have never managed to get the fans on this to run up at all.
Ascender

Post by Ascender »

New Mac laptops not blasting their fans and remaining cool to the touch is such a nice change. Especially if you're working with one on your lap for hours on end.
Cheers,

Mike.
Gavster

Post by Gavster »

OMG this is soo true. I've spent the last few years battling with MBPs which seem to very quickly get overheated. Then I bought an M1 Mac mini for desktop use at home and it's a revelation, it's quiet and fast, I love it.

Apple also decided to put all of the USB ports and the on/off button on the front of the machine for easy access and switching between devices, which is soooo unlike Apple. That is the front, right?!? 🤣

Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Now that the colder months are coming I kinda miss my old oven of a MacBook. The new one barely gets warm to the touch which is useless :lol:
How about not having a sig at all?
Ascender

Post by Ascender »

Gavster wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 11:09 am OMG this is soo true. I've spent the last few years battling with MBPs which seem to very quickly get overheated. Then I bought an M1 Mac mini for desktop use at home and it's a revelation, it's quiet and fast, I love it.

Apple also decided to put all of the USB ports and the on/off button on the front of the machine for easy access and switching between devices, which is soooo unlike Apple. That is the front, right?!? 🤣

That setup is triggering all sorts of OCD in me!

The Intel iMacs were the worst for this - all the ports on the back and because you'd never turn it around to see what you were plugging-in, it was the noise of metal scraping on metal as you tried to fumble around to get the usb-cable in the port.
Cheers,

Mike.
Gavster

Post by Gavster »

You're so right, I used to have a 27" iMac and that sound of usb plug scraping on aluminium was awful 😬