PC upgrading?

unzippy

PC upgrading?

Post by unzippy »

Is there a nice handy website that I can plug in a motherboard and then tells me my upgrade options?

Ta.
The Evo forum really is a shadow of its former self. I remember when the internet was for the elite and now they seem to let any spastic on

IaFG Down Under Division
RobYob

Re: PC upgrading?

Post by RobYob »

https://pcpartpicker.com/ is a good start.

Do you mean upgrading the CPU or RAM or the Mobo itself?
unzippy

Post by unzippy »

I have inherited fairly decent PC from back in the day, it has LEDs and water cooling!

mobo = Asrock Z97 Extreme4
gpu = Nvidia GTX 980
cpu = Intel Core i7-4790K

Benchmark says:
https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/47528781

However, FarCry6 is a bit stuttery on it so I want to see what's up-gradable and what's maxed out.

Saying that, I've just updated the intel cpu drivers and it seems a lot better!
The Evo forum really is a shadow of its former self. I remember when the internet was for the elite and now they seem to let any spastic on

IaFG Down Under Division
RobYob

Post by RobYob »

Very nice 8-)

Yeah all the latest drivers all the time, my GPU seems to want to update every week, NFI how much real difference it makes.

The GTX980 could well be the weakest link, it's broadly equivalent to a new GTX1650 which is using 40% less power, but that's progress for you :D

GPU ranking here https://www.tomshardware.com/uk/reviews ... ,4388.html
Beany

Post by Beany »

I'd say if you can live with it, then wait six months.

Not because something new and shiny will be out (that's a never ending game) but because supply chains should ease up for Intel, AMD and Nvidia, so prices should get less utterly fucking stupid.

Even used prices are insane - GTX 1080s and RTX 2060s going for near their original retail price, etc.

Unless it's genuinely show-stopping, leave it for a bit.
Delphi
Currently Driving: Porsche 928 S4, Porsche 987 Boxster 2.7, Volvo XC40

Post by Delphi »

Make sure you've got the latest NVidia drivers. They should have released some Far Cry 6 optimised drivers by now.

MSI Afterburner will display your in game stats for RAM, CPU and GPU usage and framerate. Whichever usage is at the high 90's will be your bottleneck.

There's a guide on how to do it here

If you get all wobbly-lipped about the opinion of Internet strangers, maybe it's time to take a bath with the toaster as you'll never amount to sh1t anyway.
mr_jon

Post by mr_jon »

I have a nice system but am stuck on my old, but trusty, 1060 6GB :lol: Refuse to pay the current silly prices. As per above Afterburner also has a nice auto GPU overclock system which will give you a few extra FPS.