Forza Horizon 5

Matty
Currently Driving: Up! GTi, Alfa 4C

Re: Forza Horizon 5

Post by Matty »

Getting great reviews - 91 on Metacritic.

https://www.metacritic.com/game/xbox-se ... -horizon-5

Out tomorrow for GamePass users
Brannen

Post by Brannen »

I can't wait to give this a go after work today. I've seen some stuff on YouTube already, and it looks pretty impressive. Be nice to hopefully have some new cars in the game as well. Forza in general has a habit of recycling the car list.
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

Looks like you have to buy the premium pass to get access today, I'll maybe just wait until Tuesday.
An absolute unit
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

It better be fecking good as it just looks like FH4 with a new map :lol:
How about not having a sig at all?
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

It was never going to be a lot better looking, it's still playable on the Xbone. FM8 will be the big performance jump.
An absolute unit
Ascender
Currently Driving: 2019 M2 Competition

Post by Ascender »

Mito Man wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 9:38 am It better be fecking good as it just looks like FH4 with a new map :lol:
Early reviews have praised the improved lighting and smoke effects... So there's that I guess??

New map is apparently massive with some really high mountains which make for some more varied racing and roads with switchbacks.
Cheers,

Mike.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

I’m just always annoyed with the Horizon series as they’re so pretty but crap with a wheel. I wish there was an option to toggle the regular Forza Motorsport physics for that purpose.

Having switchback mountain passes with just a controller is even more of a cock tease :lol:
I’ll miss messing about in Scotland though just because it’s so unique to have a game which is based “locally”
Jimmy Choo

Post by Jimmy Choo »

I had a quick blast at lunchtime. It's very pretty and I had fun. What more could you want?
Banal Vapid Platitudes
Ascender

Post by Ascender »

Mito Man wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 1:29 pm I’m just always annoyed with the Horizon series as they’re so pretty but crap with a wheel. I wish there was an option to toggle the regular Forza Motorsport physics for that purpose.

Having switchback mountain passes with just a controller is even more of a cock tease :lol:
I’ll miss messing about in Scotland though just because it’s so unique to have a game which is based “locally”
The Scottish stuff was nice, bits of Edinburgh were spot-on and the section which was inspired by Rannoch Moor was lovely. I still yearn for Project Gotham which had some fantastic Edinburgh-based racing.

For some strange reason my daughter has really got in to Forza and can't wait for 5 which is now downloading at an incredibly slow rate. I wish Elon Musk would get Starlink sorted out in Scotland as it really is my last hope for decent broadband speeds.
Cheers,

Mike.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Not really sure what happened with Starlink, my dad ordered it at the beginning of the year for Autumn delivery but still nothing. Have seen adverts that BT also have something similar coming but my dad is sick of BT now :lol:
Ascender

Post by Ascender »

Mito Man wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 3:04 pm Not really sure what happened with Starlink, my dad ordered it at the beginning of the year for Autumn delivery but still nothing. Have seen adverts that BT also have something similar coming but my dad is sick of BT now :lol:
We ordered it for "mid-late 2021" but not heard anything since. BT are so utterly dreadful at everything that I'm loathe to give them any more money for anything.
Cheers,

Mike.
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

Well it looks nice, but nothing has really blown me away despite various previews saying how massively improved scenery density is. It automatically chose the 60fps v sync ultra preset for my pc, I’ve bumped a few settings up to extreme and not noticed any performance dips at all.

So far it very much looks and feels like 4 with a new skin.

For me, to be honest, a large part of the appeal of 4 was that it was set in the uk, driving on the left and roads and scenery which felt familiar.

Admittedly I’ve only spent an hour or so on it, and will no doubt lose many many more to it, but at the moment it’s not grabbing me as an amazing must play gaming experience.
Cheers, Harry
McSwede

Post by McSwede »

integrale_evo wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 2:10 am .

For me, to be honest, a large part of the appeal of 4 was that it was set in the uk, driving on the left and roads and scenery which felt familiar.
As a non-gamer who's recently bought an Xbox, this is the appeal of 4 to me. Being from the North and having lived near Edinburgh for a few years I really enjoyed driving through familiar areas. I've downloaded 5 and will have a play at the weekend.
Matty
Currently Driving: Up! GTi, Alfa 4C

Post by Matty »

It's very much more of the same. I also bumped it up to "Ultra" and now I'm flexing a 144Hz panel is does move along at a decent rate.....but it's not "wow" compared to 4

As it only cost a quid I'll use my month and see I'm bored by then!
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

Yeah, I've been enjoying having new stuff to do and the map is fun but it doesn't feel like a big leap forward.

It's not running amazingly for me either, there's been a few times that I've hit an invisible wall that I'm guessing is buffering for loading. Also keep getting kicked out of online which seems to be messing with progression.
An absolute unit
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

Ascender wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 2:52 pm
Mito Man wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 1:29 pm I’m just always annoyed with the Horizon series as they’re so pretty but crap with a wheel. I wish there was an option to toggle the regular Forza Motorsport physics for that purpose.

The Scottish stuff was nice, bits of Edinburgh were spot-on and the section which was inspired by Rannoch Moor was lovely. I still yearn for Project Gotham which had some fantastic Edinburgh-based racing.
I got way too much amusement from driving past my house in PGR2 :lol:
An absolute unit
16vCento
Currently Driving: XFS Portfolio
V60 D3 SE
Xantia Activa

Post by 16vCento »

Yeah its a bit dull compared to 4, looks nice on Series X though in 4k.

Half the battle is having to get money again to mess about with engine swaps, shame your money doesn't transfer.
Ascender

Post by Ascender »

My daughter is absolutely loving it so I'm sure I'll just dip in and out of the game when I fancy a quick blast of something.

It just seems like a bit of a constant grind of a game to progress and I found a lot of the challenges in 4 very repetitive and not that difficult. Maybe I'm just showing my age.

I was trying to think exactly what I'd like from a driving game now and came up blank tbh. I do think there's scope for some sort of heist and police chase in a world like that with LOADS of traffic to deal with. Or cross country races like Cannonball Run - but with lots of traffic. Maybe GTA is the first one, or maybe a cross between that and some of the classic Need for Speed games.
Cheers,

Mike.
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

In much the same way as the car stuff in GTA I basically play FH like a dress up game :lol:. The races and that are just work so I can get money to tinker with cars, I've already started collecting the widebody kits again.
An absolute unit
Brannen

Post by Brannen »

I’ve been enjoying it. I’ve already done quite a lot of it, but I’m trying to grind out getting money again. Hopefully the forza rewards get given on FH5 from Friday. Last weeks only seem to go to FH4 and below.

I’ve got an annoying issue with barn finds not working for me though, and no idea how to get them to trigger. I’ve unlocked 1 but the rest are greyed out. I’ve completed all the outposts, in the hall of fame thing and I’ve 3 starred all the different challenges. No idea why I’ve not been able to get a barn find. I’ve raised it through the forza support but heard nothing.

I also keep getting kicked off of the online as well, so end up just selecting solo which gets rid of that error.