Which hoover?

Ascender
Currently Driving: 2019 M2 Competition

Which hoover?

Post by Ascender »

Yeah I know, but presumably everyone on here has one and I've done the usual Google thing which has been an utter waste of time for getting some sort of consensus as to the "best" hoover.

We're on our second Dyson which has gone to shit after a few years, so am looking for something which will last and will do the main job of a hoover which is to reliably pick stuff up.

Any recommendations please? Wired or cordless, doesn't matter - Mrs Mike is suspicious of the cordless ones being a scam where the batteries crap out after a while and don't give as much power.

Thanks!
Cheers,

Mike.
Gavster
Currently Driving: ya mum

Re: Which hoover?

Post by Gavster »

Henry is the boss when it comes to hoovers, they have great suction, are simple af so there's nothing to go wrong and last a lifetime.
Sundayjumper
Currently Driving: Peugeot 406

Post by Sundayjumper »

Henry.

We also have a Shark which has been pretty good so far.

And some random old cheap POS that I use in the garage that refuses to die.
Holley

Post by Holley »

Also had a couple of Dysons which were pants. Changed to a Miele (cat & dog I think) which I've had for 6 years and has been brilliant.
drcarlos

Post by drcarlos »

Henry again. Not over priced either like a lot of the designer stuff. Ours is at least 10 years old and still works perfectly and nothing is broken.

Our friends got a Shark and were trying to get my wife to get one. I looked into them and they look great (lots of good reviews on performance) until you look at their Facebook page, they seem to break a fair bit and parts (even pre-covid) are a nightmare to get hold of.
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

Got a Henry (20yrs old now) which is great but because it doesn't have a rotating brush so won't pick up pet hairs. Will pick up gravel off a wet drive without complaint. So necessary as a reliable additional hoover.

But for everyday use, I gave up on Dyson ages ago because they're pricey and unreliable. I also like bagged vacuums because I hate the cloud of dust as you empty a bagless. We got a cordless Shark upright a year ago which my wife likes but I don't; the stick folds in the middle for storage but it flexes a bit in use and feels like it won't last. Also no better at picking up pet hairs despite being a special pet hair model. My wife is particularly happy that I got one with two batteries and a charger which holds both, if you go for one.

I still really rate the GTechs that I've had for 4-5 years each. One is an upright Air Ram; it's bagless but the collection box is in the base and it seems to compress the dust down quite well so it doesn't blow up in a cloud when you empty it. The other is an ATF Pro stick which uses bags; probably closest to the current Pro 2. You can disconnect the stick, put on a smaller head with rotating brush for doing the car, etc. It's the one I use most. Both GTechs only have a single battery each (not the same for each type) but I don't ever run them out. Biggest problems are that the charger port is a bit loose now on the stick when plugging in the charger (it's part of the battery so a new battery would resolve that) and both are relatively small capacity so need emptying more frequently than a Henry.
Ascender

Post by Ascender »

Thanks all, have ordered a Henry-pet version. I'm sure Mrs Mike will appreciate me spoiling her like this yet again.
Cheers,

Mike.
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

I must have got lucky with my corded Dyson - must be 10 or 12 years old now and hasn't put a foot wrong.

Although Jobbo is correct on emptying it - very dusty...
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
McSwede

Post by McSwede »

dinny_g wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 10:33 am I must have got lucky with my corded Dyson - must be 10 or 12 years old now and hasn't put a foot wrong.
Dinny is correct. Like his, our Dyson has been faultless for a similar period.
IanF
Currently Driving: Ferrari F430 Spider
BMW M4 Comp
Mini Cooper
LR Evoque P300e

Post by IanF »

Dyson’s are crap.. messy, fragile and certainly not good value for money.

I have a cordless G-Tech Airram which is far better than I expected, a Henry for proper cleaning/after diy etc and a Neato (or three! 🙄 - mine, gf & parents ie wherever dogs stay) to do a daily clean.

Robot hoovers are great (until they pick up a dead mouse/dog excretion etc). Although the first time you won’t be impressed as it takes a random route and doesn’t seem to clean any better than a normal hoover, after a week or so the difference in your carpets is noticeable. I’ve not paid for the tower bin type yet, so you have to empty them daily and the amount they pick up is, well tbh, disgusting.. it’s all the crap under/behind sofas, tables etc, but the house does feel cleaner and needs less dusting as a result..
Cheers,

Ian
Ascender

Post by Ascender »

McSwede wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 1:48 pm
dinny_g wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 10:33 am I must have got lucky with my corded Dyson - must be 10 or 12 years old now and hasn't put a foot wrong.
The corded Dyson didn't do too badly actually, but the cordless one has lasted 2 years I think?
Cheers,

Mike.
Simon

Post by Simon »

I'm confused. You asked 'which hoover', but then bought a henry?

Had you asked 'which vacuum cleaner' then it would be easy, but 'which hoover' resulting in a 'henry' is baking my noodle.

Please delete this thread and start again.
The artist formerly known as _Who_
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

IanF wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 2:04 pm Robot hoovers are great
I was on a teams call recently and a participant had to leave the call temporarily because "the Hoover just text her - it was trapped in the dining room and had to be let out"

Oh the times we live in... :lol:
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
scotta

Post by scotta »

Same vintage Dyson DC14 Animal. Ive replaced the motor in it once and replaced a worn out clutch and brushbar in about 15 years. Still going strong.

We have an additional Dyson ball thing I inherited from my nan when she died - but its shit. doesnt pickup as well as the dc14 but its lighter for doing the stairs.

I use a cheap Bissel thing for the garage that does a similar role to a henry. Useless on pet hair though.
mik

Post by mik »

I thought all vacuums sucked? :?
Beany

Post by Beany »

scotta wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 3:36 pm
Same vintage Dyson DC14 Animal. Ive replaced the motor in it once and replaced a worn out clutch and brushbar in about 15 years. Still going strong.
The triggers broom of the 2020s 8-)

(to be fair, that level of serviceability is reasonably laudable, given how shitty most electrical goods can be for that sort of thing.
tim

Post by tim »

Gavster wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 10:00 am Henry is the boss when it comes to hoovers, they have great suction, are simple af so there's nothing to go wrong and last a lifetime.
this
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

We bought a £50 thing from Argos to hoover the cat hair off the couch as we have wood floors. Throw your carpets out and save money :lol:
An absolute unit
Ascender

Post by Ascender »

Simon wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 3:07 pm I'm confused. You asked 'which hoover', but then bought a henry?

Had you asked 'which vacuum cleaner' then it would be easy, but 'which hoover' resulting in a 'henry' is baking my noodle.

Please delete this thread and start again.
:lol:

I did have an Alan Partridge "tannoy" moment when writing the post but decided to leave it to see which pedant would pick it up. Am disappointed it took so long tbh.
Cheers,

Mike.
Gavster
Currently Driving: ya mum

Post by Gavster »

I can’t stop thinking about the couple who adopted a blind dog and called it Roomba 😂