Pixel 6 Pro

Beany

Re: Pixel 6 Pro

Post by Beany »

Have got my 4XL rebuilt now, and I'd forgotten how quick and smooth it is (and how nice the display is).

Lovely.
Delphi
Currently Driving: Porsche 928 S4, Porsche 987 Boxster 2.7, Volvo XC40

Post by Delphi »

I've just acquired a Pixel 4A after the glass back of my Honor 10 cracked (and the vibrate function packed up). Paid £299 for it and I fail to see what spending any more would gain me aside from wireless charging (how hard is it to plug in a USB C connector?) and waterproofing (don't know about you but I never swim with my phone).
If you get all wobbly-lipped about the opinion of Internet strangers, maybe it's time to take a bath with the toaster as you'll never amount to sh1t anyway.
Beany

Post by Beany »

Wireless charging is convenient if, say you're watching long form content and you have an 'upright' charger so you can watch it in bed, and if you want to go for a shit and take it with you, you aren't bothering with unplugging anything.

But the supplied USB C charger can wang in three or four times the power, so if you actually want the thing charged quickly, it always wins.

Edit - plugged the pixel 4XL in to charge and watched a half hour video - in 34 mins it's gone from 26% to 70%. So that's damned near 50% charged in 30 minutes.

Modern charging standards are awesome and wireless charging can go suck a fuck - the wireless charging (even with a 9v source which my wireless charger can handle) world barely have added 10% in that time...
McSwede

Post by McSwede »

Beany wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 10:30 pm Wireless charging is convenient if, say you're watching long form content and you have an 'upright' charger so you can watch it in bed, and if you want to go for a shit and take it with you, you aren't bothering with unplugging anything.

But the supplied USB C charger can wang in three or four times the power, so if you actually want the thing charged quickly, it always wins.

Edit - plugged the pixel 4XL in to charge and watched a half hour video - in 34 mins it's gone from 26% to 70%. So that's damned near 50% charged in 30 minutes.

Modern charging standards are awesome and wireless charging can go suck a fuck - the wireless charging (even with a 9v source which my wireless charger can handle) world barely have added 10% in that time...
Even my Pixel 2 XL charges so quickly you can add a lot of juice quite quickly. I've never really seen the appeal of wireless charging. I must admit that it'll be handy in the car having one less charger cable but phones now charge so quickly you don't need to keep them topped up.
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

There's two situations where wireless is the perfect solution - in the car when attached to carplay, and sat at my desk at work. I find it's a bit of a fad the rest of the time, because it can't be charging whilst I'm using it, like a cable can.

The most useless one is on trains, you put your phone on the table on the spot, and because it's polished wood it just slides off the spot. Brilliant.
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

I'm another none fan of wireless. I've a case and a magnet stuck on the back of my phone to stick on a mount in the car. No doubt making wireless charging impossible anyway (I've had it before on other phones and never used it).
Barry

Post by Barry »

The Ioniq has a wireless charge slot, but my phone doesn't support it. I get by. Also still impressed at the rate the standard charger will add juice, wish the car was the same 😂
DaveE

Post by DaveE »

Rich B wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 7:01 am There's two situations where wireless is the perfect solution - in the car when attached to carplay, and sat at my desk at work. I find it's a bit of a fad the rest of the time, because it can't be charging whilst I'm using it, like a cable can.

The most useless one is on trains, you put your phone on the table on the spot, and because it's polished wood it just slides off the spot. Brilliant.
I would add to that charging overnight

I have a wireless charging pad next to the bed and just being able to place it down there and pink it up at will, without having to worry about a wire is really useful/natural

It's the only time/way my Pixel 5 gets charged...
McSwede

Post by McSwede »

The Pixel I've ordered for my wife is coming tomorrow, a day ahead of my Pro.

Bastards!!! 😁
Zonda_

Post by Zonda_ »

McSwede wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 4:32 pm The Pixel I've ordered for my wife is coming tomorrow, a day ahead of my Pro.

Bastards!!! 😁
Yes, my 6 is due tomorrow.
Beany

Post by Beany »

Does it come with Android 12 out of the box?

I've been running it the last couple of days on my P4XL and it's alright.
McSwede

Post by McSwede »

Aye, running 12 out of the box.
McSwede

Post by McSwede »

The wife's Pixel 6 has arrived and it's lovely. I got the Sorta Seafoam colour. It feels like a premium bit of kit so am very happy so far. Can't wait for my Pro to arrive tomorrow.

I'll leave on charge while I'm out this afternoon and have a play with it later.
Zonda_

Post by Zonda_ »

McSwede wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 2:08 pm The wife's Pixel 6 has arrived and it's lovely. I got the Sorta Seafoam colour. It feels like a premium bit of kit so am very happy so far. Can't wait for my Pro to arrive tomorrow.

I'll leave on charge while I'm out this afternoon and have a play with it later.
What is the 6 like charging? I plugged mine in at about 30% at 11pm and it was only at 80% at 6am!
DaveE

Post by DaveE »

Beany wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 8:04 pm Does it come with Android 12 out of the box?

I've been running it the last couple of days on my P4XL and it's alright.
The weird stretch/bounce effect when you reach the end of a (quick) scrolling action is pretty annoying

Especially when scrolling horizontally (through photos, say)

The way it stretches content (e.g. text and images on a web page in Chrome) is especially weird!

I like the big, simple, buttons/UI elements it brings though (like in the clock/settings apps etc)

I also notice that the Android Auto app has been replaced with a "driving mode" - I've always been a fan of AA and this further extends the usefulness.
Carlos

Post by Carlos »

Zonda_ wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 11:48 am
McSwede wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 2:08 pm The wife's Pixel 6 has arrived and it's lovely. I got the Sorta Seafoam colour. It feels like a premium bit of kit so am very happy so far. Can't wait for my Pro to arrive tomorrow.

What is the 6 like charging? I plugged mine in at about 30% at 11pm and it was only at 80% at 6am!
Its a big battery. Were you using a 30+w brick ?
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

Any good then fellas?
Zonda_

Post by Zonda_ »

Carlos wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 1:01 pm

I was using the warp charger from the OnePlus. I've ordered the one from Google.
Beany

Post by Beany »

Zonda_ wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 1:49 pm
Carlos wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 1:01 pm

I was using the warp charger from the OnePlus. I've ordered the one from Google.
https://www.oneplus.com/uk/product/onep ... er-adapter
Output
5V=2A/5V=6A max
I'm pretty sure my P4XL uses 9v charging although I'm too busy to double check (or verify the P6), so if the Oneplus one only does 5v, that might explain it - the phone probably won't take more than 15w (5v/3a) that way.
Zonda_

Post by Zonda_ »

Pretty daft that they don't include a suitable charger.