You got the beta? 5800x flex.
Shlergen

Re: Windows 11 (aka FAO Beany)

Post by Shlergen »

Running v21H2
Shlergen

Post by Shlergen »

Patch out to fix AMD, not noticed any difference to be honest.
Zonda_

Post by Zonda_ »

One of the new laptops at work installed it on Friday, i didn’t want it on as the course I deliver require specific Windows 10 screenshots. I had a bit of a fiddle with it though and I quite like the changes.
Ascender
Currently Driving: 2019 M2 Competition

Post by Ascender »

I've been using it on the Mac for a while now and its fine, I quite like it, seems stable and fast.

I did have a shock yesterday when I bought a secondhand Dell server for some virtualisation stuff. Thought I'd just install Windows Server 2012 on it and a day later its finally on. Of course, I now need to update it in order to install the GUI which is all done via powershell... The whole thing has been one major PITA.
Cheers,

Mike.
Sundayjumper
Currently Driving: Peugeot 406

Post by Sundayjumper »

OK, I’m taking the plunge. It’s downloading right now.
Sundayjumper
Currently Driving: Peugeot 406

Post by Sundayjumper »

No complete disasters yet. The best thing is that the windows now have rounded corners, just like in Windows 7. That's the kind of progress I can get behind 8-)
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

I just bought a HP laptop with Windows 11 (which was a struggle in itself after getting pissed off with the Curry's cunt trying to sell me random shit and insurance repeatedly, but where else do you go on a Sunday). Windows 11 ain't bad, it feels like a rip off of OSX for me but the amount of bloatware they still install on these is ridiculous. Spent an hour uninstalling Minecraft, Xbox, McAfee, Office (stick yer free trial up yours),games, Spotify, random weather, news and calendar apps which are all in the Widgets anyway... And that's before you get to the HP specific crap.

First time I've ever got an AMD processor too. Just a Ryzen 5 but its pretty snappy, not MacBook M1 fast but very decent.
How about not having a sig at all?
NGRhodes

Post by NGRhodes »

Beany wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 9:41 pm
NGRhodes wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 8:15 pm
Beany wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 2:56 pm I'm Linux native, almost entirely these days.
One of my laptops has LMDE on it. My day job is 100% Linux based (Research Computing Engineer at Leeds Uni).
Linux mint? Is that Ubuntu for idiots, like how Ubuntu is Debian for idiots? (To be fair, I use manjaro, which is Arch for idiots)

Leeds uni? Another person from the forum who is within ten minutes drive who I'll probably never meet 8-)
Linux Mint is Ubuntu with the daft stuff Ubuntu adds removed and its own layer of stuff for Idiots.
I work from home, so very not likely to meet.

(Sorry for the thread necro, just been going through notifications that I usually never look at).
Beany

Post by Beany »

Ha, no worries, I'll be WFH full time soon enough so I'm fucked if I'm leaving the house if I can help it, too :lol:
NGRhodes

Post by NGRhodes »

Currently trying Windows 11 out.
Considering my laptop is not compatible (I used https://github.com/AveYo/MediaCreationTool.bat to create a USB stick that disables the compatibility checks), its got better driver support than Windows 10, every driver out of the box, no need to download any from Lenovo like with Win 10.
The taskbar is hideous, I found a nice tweak/replacement tool (https://github.com/valinet/ExplorerPatcher), so I have the old Win 10 style taskbar but with a tweaked Win 11 Start menu. Apart from that its all seems very similar to Win 10, but in a new frock.
Ascender

Post by Ascender »

@Beany...

I am losing the plot with Windows 11... All because of one UI change. Well two, but you can put the Start Button back to the bottom left as Gates intended.

You now can't ungroup windows/activities from an app in the taskbar. It automatically groups all windows from an application under one taskbar entry meaning I can't just click to go straight back to an email I was composing. I have to click on the taskbar and then select the sub-window. Two clicks instead of one. I can't live like that. I won't.

Is there a way to undo this without:

a) Spending money
b) Running powershell scripting stuff

I've tried option B already and all that happened was I managed to make my start button totally unresponsive so had to roll back to a backup.
Cheers,

Mike.
Beany

Post by Beany »

I know the behaviour you mean (it was configurable in older versions IIRC) but I haven't used Windows 11 for more than about 20 minutes (just long enough to make a backup of the install image) so I'm probably not the best person to ask :lol:
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

Ascender wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 3:25 pm @Beany...

I am losing the plot with Windows 11... All because of one UI change. Well two, but you can put the Start Button back to the bottom left as Gates intended.

You now can't ungroup windows/activities from an app in the taskbar. It automatically groups all windows from an application under one taskbar entry meaning I can't just click to go straight back to an email I was composing. I have to click on the taskbar and then select the sub-window. Two clicks instead of one. I can't live like that. I won't.

Is there a way to undo this without:

a) Spending money
b) Running powershell scripting stuff

I've tried option B already and all that happened was I managed to make my start button totally unresponsive so had to roll back to a backup.
If you find an answer to this, do post it - I haven't switched to Win11 and don't plan to but at some point I'll inevitably end up with a new machine with it on. Like you, I cannot abide the app groups on the taskbar.
Ascender

Post by Ascender »

Thanks anyway @Beany... if you'd used it for more than 20 minutes I'm sure you'd have found a fix as its properly infuriating!

Perfect example of Microsoft changing something for the sake of it rather than the benefit of users.
Cheers,

Mike.
Beany

Post by Beany »

I say that I'm shit at Windows these days - I've been helping a site try to get a Windows 7 based self-check out kiosk at a library working; working with the local services IT, and the software vendors tech. I've been telling them how to do detailed service control tricks, and firewall hoop jumping etc like it was ten years ago.

It's like riding a really shitty bike, is supporting Windows.