Recommendations for Samsung tablet

KiwiDave
Currently Driving: GT86

Recommendations for Samsung tablet

Post by KiwiDave »

The old man has by necessity come on to finally use tech over the past 18 months as his church are doing all their services and stuff via Zoom. He's gone from being firmly against the internet and all its complications to having fibre fitted to his granny flat, wifi running and doing Zooms on a Samsung tablet which he says only cost him a few hundred quid. I'm actually quite proud of him for starting that journey at 79...

Now he's asking for recommendations for another so he can be on Zoom on one and have his bible and reading material on another. I've asked him to tell me what model he currently has as a start point - waiting on him coming back to me. I know NOTHING about tablets at all... Quick courtesy glance of Samsung's website shows they start at 150 quid up, but do any of you have any recommendations on specific models or where to buy from?

Specifically looking for a Samsung too so there's as few differences between it and the one he's got so as not to overwhelm him.
McSwede

Re: Recommendations for Samsung tablet

Post by McSwede »

My Dad is of a similar vintage and I got him his first tablet last year. I got a Samsung Galaxy Tab A 10.1 LTE and added a sim to my EE family account so he can use it anywhere. It suits his needs beautifully. Nice screen for looking at all the videos on the Daily Mail website 😂, YouTube etc. He can video call the grandkids and also play games on it with them when they come around which has added a whole other level of reward to having this bit of tech.

A good bit of kit and it hasn't missed a bit or caused him to call me with issues at anytime.

He's even got a smartphone now 😂
Simon

Post by Simon »

Same for my parents. We bought them an iPad each. As much as I like Android I have to put myself in their shoes and think that the iPad is probably a bit simpler to use. Dad has bought himself an iPhone since so staying with the same 'interface' has made that easy.

You can get iPads pretty cheap on the Apple store too.
The artist formerly known as _Who_
mik

Post by mik »

I have an old Samsung tablet that was good, so got a Galaxy Tab A8 LTE (32GB) about 6 months ago. Wow it was slow as fook. Really laggy even waking up from sleep, or unlocking it.

Sent it back and replaced with iPad mini which was of course £more, but is significantly better.
Carlos

Post by Carlos »

The A line is the budget version though !
mik

Post by mik »

Correct.

I think it stands for Arsegrape.
KiwiDave
Currently Driving: GT86

Post by KiwiDave »

I would really like him to have an iPad instead but I do worry that he's only just got his head round the Samsung, changing the OS on him might fry his head...

Where's the best place to buy such things in the UK these days?