USB-C

ZedLeg

USB-C

Post by ZedLeg »

Looks like the EU are going to mandate that most small electronics have USB-C chargers in future.

Seems like a good move to me, proprietary chargers are a bigger pain in the balls than the vaccine.

Look forward to Boris announce that everyone will need their own charging connection to show how we're better for business :lol:.
An absolute unit
GG.

Re: USB-C

Post by GG. »

Other than Apple - who has a 'proprietary' charging system as opposed to just using derivatives of commonly available USB (genuine question)? I thought this mostly disappeared along with Nokia, Ericsson, etc.

What they're really doing is banning Apple from doing so because they think they make too much profit on it - takes on a slightly different light when you view it in that context, no?

Plus as people have noted it will generate even more waste if the 15% of the market that are Apple users throw away all their lightning chargers when they buy a new product.
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

My Nuraphones use a proprietary connection as well, I'm not sure how many others there are.

Obviously apple are making the big headlines about it and the green angle is dubious. Mobile tech is hopelessly wasteful in general.

It a good common sense move though imo. Not ideal that it's ended up being government mandated but it is what it is.
An absolute unit
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

Doesn't USB-C still have a "male" pin in the device that the "female" charge cable connects to. Pin breaks, device is borked.

Apple's is a better connector Because there's almost zero change you'll damage charger or port/ It's easier to clean, less potential for damage etc.
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

Yeah but Apple aren't likely to let every manufacturer of small electronics use Lightning so it's a moot point as far as standardising the connection goes.
An absolute unit
DaveE

Post by DaveE »

Apple: "We can't switch to USB-C - just think of all the waste [from existing Lightning accessories]"

Also Apple: "Look, the new iPad Mini has USB-C! Like the iPad Pro - woohoo!"

Pick one...
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

Yeah, we can’t let Apple ‘win’ so we all have to settle for a poorer product. ;)
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Sundayjumper
Currently Driving: Peugeot 406

Post by Sundayjumper »

Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

dinny_g wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 9:59 am Doesn't USB-C still have a "male" pin in the device that the "female" charge cable connects to. Pin breaks, device is borked.

Apple's is a better connector Because there's almost zero change you'll damage charger or port/ It's easier to clean, less potential for damage etc.
While I agree with you, Lightning is becoming old tech and doesn't support the speed of USB-C.

Having said that, I hate USB-C because it just feels so insecure when you plug it in. I use it all the time to dock my laptop. I don't see any reason to mandate a standard for this stuff; that stifles progress and ties us in to a less than optimal solution.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Aren’t Apple just going to use their fuck you card and get rid of the charging socket all together. They said it’s too much e-waste but they’ll do it if forced to. So people can buy millions of USB C magsafe chargers which will be even more niche as you can’t use them for much else apart from charging a phone.
How about not having a sig at all?
DaveE

Post by DaveE »

Mito Man wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 10:31 am Aren’t Apple just going to use their fuck you card and get rid of the charging socket all together. They said it’s too much e-waste but they’ll do it if forced to. So people can buy millions of USB C magsafe chargers which will be even more niche as you can’t use them for much else apart from charging a phone.
I think we have to acknowledge that, yes

If Apple wanted a USB-C iPhone, they could easily choose to do it

I suspect they're not making changes now and concentrating on the much rumoured "port-less" iPhone
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

Jobbo wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 10:21 am While I agree with you, Lightning is becoming old tech and doesn't support the speed of USB-C.
Can’t you have the speed of USB-C but with a simple, robust, lightning style connector ??
Sundayjumper
Currently Driving: Peugeot 406

Post by Sundayjumper »

dinny_g wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 11:58 am Can’t you have the speed of USB-C but with a simple, robust, lightning style connector ??

Sundayjumper wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 10:20 am Image
Carlos

Post by Carlos »

The MacBook and iPads in our office already use USB-C and my phone's have had them since 2015 without a single issue !

I find it quite useful only needing 1 charger for my phone and laptop.
RobYob

Post by RobYob »

dinny_g wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 9:59 am Doesn't USB-C still have a "male" pin in the device that the "female" charge cable connects to. Pin breaks, device is borked.

Whilest a profound Apple hater I agree USB C is a PITA to clean and I seem to damage the charge ports on phones "regularly". I replaced the charge port on my few year old pixel just the other week (was really quite pleased with myself).

Not all USB C data cables behave nicely with all devices either for reasons I don't comprehend.
Simon

Post by Simon »

On the flip side, lightning is a stupid design and we get through multiple cables a year.

Why? Because the ground and power pins are all the same length. As most people tend to leave their chargers plugged into the mains and then just grab the cable and pop it into the phone whenever they need it, the plug does a tiny 'spark' as it's inserted. Consequently not only do you get a carbon build up on the plug, one of the pins eventually wears out due to spark erosion and consequently the cable is knackered. Poor design.

Also lightning only runs at USB2.0 speeds

USB-C is a vastly superior standard and Apple know it, which is why they went to that for MacBooks, iPads etc.

As for a zero port iphone, just the worst idea imaginable. Devs needs that port to code properly (xcode over wireless is shit). Internet recovery doesn't always work correctly and wireless charging is inefficient and inconvenient. That doesn't mean it won't happen, it just means that the iPhone experience will be worse when it does.
The artist formerly known as _Who_
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

My iPhone X is almost 4 years old and still works fine. I regularly scratch out the fluff from the port with a paper clip or whatever with no issues. Their cables are a different thing altogether - shit quality and always break. But at least they are a tenner off Amazon.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

The Amazon basics lightning cable lasts forever and is way cheaper.
The Apple rubber cable finish is just crap in general. Goes yellow and and sheath falls to bits, I’ve already killed their usb C cable too but I’m sure it’s carefully calculated so the average fanboy buys a few each year.
How about not having a sig at all?
Beany

Post by Beany »

Mito Man wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 1:29 pm The Amazon basics lightning cable lasts forever and is way cheaper.
The Apple rubber cable finish is just crap in general. Goes yellow and and sheath falls to bits, I’ve already killed their usb C cable too but I’m sure it’s carefully calculated so the average fanboy buys a few each year.
Yeah, Apple cables are the only ones I've had that have literally fallen apart on me. Macbook power supplies, iPod 30 pin cables, iPhone lightning, all died within a year of starting to use them.

I've never seen any USB cable I've used do that - ever.

That rubber finish feels premium at first, but then it just falls to fucking pieces at any stress/flex point.

That they continue to get away with making such shite cables and the users don't complain - or at least don't complain enough to get an industrial design change - genuinely staggers me.
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

I haven't broken any Apple Lightning cables; I've got some going back to, what, the iPhone 5 so 8 years or so old?

However, I do have quite a few braided Lightning cables of various lengths because they're ideal when you don't want a metre of white cable lying around. Anker seem to make really good ones which don't have massive moulded plugs both ends (so fit with the aftermarket cases my family members seem to like). Amazon Basics versions are different each time I buy them so I can't say that I'd recommend them; who knows whether you'd get the same thing :lol: