New TV Tiime

Swervin_Mervin

New TV Tiime

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

Been looking for a new TV for the kitchen/living area. Stuck between going for a 43" or 48". Assuming we go for the latter, are there any we should be looking at?

I'm hovering on the Panasonic TX-48JZ1000B OLED at the moment. Only downside appears to be Panasonic haven't yet sorted Disney+, but we can get round that with a Roku stick if needs be.

We did look at a 48" LG OLED but the motion on the Panny just looked crisper, and the picture overall looked a cut above.
Jimmy Choo

Re: New TV Tiime

Post by Jimmy Choo »

LG don't have All4 if that makes a difference.
Banal Vapid Platitudes
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

I think the Sony A9 got all the best reviews last year if you want an OLED in 48/49". It's about to be replaced by the 2021 version which isn't available yet, but you'd get a deal on it as a result: https://www.johnlewis.com/sony-bravia-k ... k/p5497891
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

Jobbo wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 10:12 am I think the Sony A9 got all the best reviews last year if you want an OLED in 48/49". It's about to be replaced by the 2021 version which isn't available yet, but you'd get a deal on it as a result: https://www.johnlewis.com/sony-bravia-k ... k/p5497891
And that's what we ended up ordering late last night! The Panny not having Disney+ got me looking at the Sony, which annoyingly we didn't look at in the shop. But the reviews swung it, especially regarding motion and the sound, as well as having access to all the streaming service plus Spotify. Also saw some bugs reported with the Panasonic on AVforums.
Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

I've now got two cheaper 2020 Sonys (the 49" and 43" of the XH81 series) and the Android TV interface is great. I imagine the A9 uses the same interface.
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

Yeah, the android tv stuff is good. I've got a Samsung with it, mines was a more budget option so probably not worth recommending but it's pretty good.
An absolute unit
Ascender
Currently Driving: 2019 M2 Competition

Post by Ascender »

ZedLeg wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 11:44 am Yeah, the android tv stuff is good. I've got a Samsung with it, mines was a more budget option so probably not worth recommending but it's pretty good.
The TV guide on my LG still seems laggy - i.e. if I turn on the TV today, it will come up with the schedule from last night and then take a second to refresh. Is this normal with Android interfaces?
Cheers,

Mike.
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

I god scoffed at for suggesting similar budgets to the Panasonic and Sony that Merv and Jobbo suggested... :lol:
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
Sundayjumper
Currently Driving: Peugeot 406

Post by Sundayjumper »

Ascender wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 12:34 pm
ZedLeg wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 11:44 am Yeah, the android tv stuff is good. I've got a Samsung with it, mines was a more budget option so probably not worth recommending but it's pretty good.
The TV guide on my LG still seems laggy - i.e. if I turn on the TV today, it will come up with the schedule from last night and then take a second to refresh. Is this normal with Android interfaces?
We’ve got two Sonys here and the TV guide is utterly useless. Mostly comes up completely blank.
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

God I hope it's better than my parent's Samsung, which is laggy and buggy as hell - didn't seem that way when new, but seems to have developed that way over time (2-3yrs). Put me right off them. Sadly we bought a 32" Samsung for upstairs before I experienced the bugginess on my parent's one.

I'm quite looking forward to trying the Sony out. I've rarely ever had anything Sony. They've always struck me as quality, but never quite grabbed me - TV pictures have always seemed fairly soft - not quite as punchy as the best sets. Hence us getting the Panny plasma 12yrs ago.
Ascender
Currently Driving: 2019 M2 Competition

Post by Ascender »

Sundayjumper wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 12:49 pm
Ascender wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 12:34 pm
We’ve got two Sonys here and the TV guide is utterly useless. Mostly comes up completely blank.
We mainly watch everything through the Apple TV device, so its quite jarring to switch to the laggy Android interface for anything on the TV itself.
Cheers,

Mike.
Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

dinny_g wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 12:38 pm I god scoffed at for suggesting similar budgets to the Panasonic and Sony that Merv and Jobbo suggested... :lol:
By whom? I wouldn't pay that for a telly, no point at all for me. Hence I own the XH81 models which are £500-600 :lol:

I confess I hadn't looked at the EPG but they're universally awful, aren't they? Just use iPlayer or whichever channel and the schedule on that.
Simon

Post by Simon »

The Sony (we've the XH95) has both a YouView guide (for accessing catchup directly from the guide) and also Sony's own proprietary guide. The later is quicker, the former is more useful.
The artist formerly known as _Who_
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

Jobbo wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 2:07 pm
dinny_g wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 12:38 pm I god scoffed at for suggesting similar budgets to the Panasonic and Sony that Merv and Jobbo suggested... :lol:
By whom? I wouldn't pay that for a telly, no point at all for me. Hence I own the XH81 models which are £500-600 :lol:

I confess I hadn't looked at the EPG but they're universally awful, aren't they? Just use iPlayer or whichever channel and the schedule on that.
Yeah, I don't see the sense in spending any more than that on a TV tbh.

I've never used the TV guide on mines either, I just use streaming apps for everything.
An absolute unit
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

I've no issue paying that tbh - we tend to keep stuff a long time so it doesn't really bother me paying a little more.
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

It wasn't a judgement on people who do, I do understand it.

I just don't really notice the difference between a nice TV and a really nice TV :lol:

I spent more on my soundbar than I did on my TV when I replaced all my stuff earlier this year.
An absolute unit
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Same here, todays £500 tv is yesterdays £2000 TV in many cases.
How about not having a sig at all?
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

ZedLeg wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 3:28 pm It wasn't a judgement on people who do, I do understand it.

I just don't really notice the difference between a nice TV and a really nice TV :lol:

I spent more on my soundbar than I did on my TV when I replaced all my stuff earlier this year.
The other thing is there's actually very few 48s kicking around seemingly. + OLED. The Sony 49s are half the price but probably just that bit too big for the cabinet space.

Our Panny V30 is 12yo this year. Seemed pricey (£1200 IIRC) at the time but it still has a cracking picture.
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

Same, I had my last TV for about 10 years. Went from 32" HD to 55" 4K for the same price :lol:
An absolute unit
Simon

Post by Simon »

Sony have dropped the ball for this years set. There is no replacement for the 49" XH95 (the size we have) (basically their top LCD model in a <50" size), saying that 'if someone wants the best set they'll just get the 55" or whatever', and at <50" get the OLED. Not withstanding the fact that the A9 is a chunk more expensive, and not everybody wants a 55" set (it would look too big on our wall).
The artist formerly known as _Who_