New TV Tiime

Matty
Currently Driving: Up! GTi, Alfa 4C

Re: New TV Tiime

Post by Matty »

dinny_g wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 2:52 pm Will do Scotta...

Does the Sonas Beam have / need a sub ???
It's bassy enough for me without it....plus the sub is fking expensive.
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

Yeah, will do - going up to John Lewis on Saturday to order.

I don’t really know the Sonos stuff but Zed mentioned the Beam in the other thread

Edit - I have a wireless Panasonic Sub with my current G15 screen. Could that be re-tasked???
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

My original plan was to add the sub and other speakers later but I never needed to, the sound from the bar is enough.

Admittedly my room isn’t huge but it’s a tenement so we have really high ceilings.
An absolute unit
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

Yeah, I'll see how we go.

The Sub's mucho more monies and, as you say, it might not be needed
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

In the end, I bought the 2022 version of the 65" LG OLED (£1399) and was lured into buying the accompanying SP8 Soundbar and Sub combo by the £300 off deal at John Lewis.

Arrives on Friday - Excited as I've had my Panasonic since 2007 or 2008. I don't know what to do with it now because it's still in great nick but we've nowhere to put it. I was tempted to Wall Mount it on our Bedroom but if I'm honest, it kicks out too much heat. I'm sure someone will take if off my hands. TV, Panasonic Soundbar and Wireless Sub...

I bought a Sonos 5 on Sunday too
scotta

Post by scotta »

dinny_g wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 10:48 am In the end, I bought the 2022 version of the 65" LG OLED (£1399) and was lured into buying the accompanying SP8 Soundbar and Sub combo by the £300 off deal at John Lewis.

Arrives on Friday - Excited as I've had my Panasonic since 2007 or 2008. I don't know what to do with it now because it's still in great nick but we've nowhere to put it. I was tempted to Wall Mount it on our Bedroom but if I'm honest, it kicks out too much heat. I'm sure someone will take if off my hands. TV, Panasonic Soundbar and Wireless Sub...

The Sonos 5 is excellent.
DaveE

Post by DaveE »

dinny_g wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 10:48 am In the end, I bought the 2022 version of the 65" LG OLED (£1399) and was lured into buying the accompanying SP8 Soundbar and Sub combo by the £300 off deal at John Lewis.

Maybe you could donate to charity?

I do that with lots of stuff that falls into the "I could sell it, but do I really need the hassle and the £xx that I'll get for it?"

You can gift aid it too, which means it's worth even more to the charity
scotta

Post by scotta »

Tell me more about the soundbar and sub...
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

https://www.johnlewis.com/lg-sp8y-bluet ... k/p5786007

With the TV, it was £349 although I think the LG guy threw in another £50 off - I think £300 off was the deal but he gave me £350. I was going to go for the Sonos option but that didn't come with a Sub (although others here have said it doesn't need one) but the LG one sounded great in the demo and I'll probably just pick up a Sonos Move to go with the 5 for multiroom music.
Jimexpl

Post by Jimexpl »

dinny_g wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 11:19 am https://www.johnlewis.com/lg-sp8y-bluet ... k/p5786007

With the TV, it was £349 although I think the LG guy threw in another £50 off - I think £300 off was the deal but he gave me £350. I was going to go for the Sonos option but that didn't come with a Sub (although others here have said it doesn't need one) but the LG one sounded great in the demo and I'll probably just pick up a Sonos Move to go with the 5 for multiroom music.
If a TV has Airplay2 you can link it with other Airplay2 speakers, so I think you were better off going for a soundbar/sub combo anyway. Our fairly low-end 50" LG in Cornwall does, and works fine linked with the Denon speaker in the Kitchen.
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

Yeah, the TV does have Airplay2. I'll have to try that
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

dinny_g wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 10:48 am I don't know what to do with it now because it's still in great nick but we've nowhere to put it.
As is always the case, one evening with the new TV has confirmed that the old one was , in actual fact, shite... :lol:
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

after 2 or 3 weeks of use of the new TV, observations:

Positives - Brilliant screen, fantastic sound and we were defiantly right to go for the 65" screen

Negatives - 2 small quibbles.

1. There's a "Auto Power Off" mode setting I just haven't been able to find so after 4 hours, you need to do a remote input to keep it on. Need to RTFM

2. There is no option to sync the sound bar and TV. You can have both obviously but working independently so if you turn down the Bar, you have to manually re-balance the TV volume level. These should really sync to utilise all available speakers for fuller sound. I just use the soundbar now.

But overall these are minor - living the set-up. Should have upgraded years ago
simon_g

Post by simon_g »

I thought you always killed the TV sound if you have a soundbar, it's a replacement not an augmentation.

On the subject, picked up a 55" LG C1 OLED the other week (it's model year changeover so bargains to be had) and it's ridiculously good.
mik

Post by mik »

simon_g wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 2:53 pm I thought you always killed the TV sound if you have a soundbar, it's a replacement not an augmentation.
That. I have the main tellybox hooked up to my hifi (optical out) as both items are in the same room - I didn’t see any point adding a sound bar into the equation. When the TV sound is being relayed in HIGH FIDELITY, the last thing I want is the onboard TV squeakers trying to emulate my 2x10” sub. :?

I really should consider I wanna take you to a sound bar, sound bar, sound bar in the other living room at some point though (particularly as the steering wheel is in there and I should have a sound experience that replicates the real thing and demands earplugs. :geek:
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

mik wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 3:56 pm
simon_g wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 2:53 pm I thought you always killed the TV sound if you have a soundbar, it's a replacement not an augmentation.
That.
Yeah, that's what I've done. Sound is awesome from the Soundbar and Sub to be fair.
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

I got a new tv recently - a 32" Sony on the basis that the 43" and 49" versions we have are great and I like the Android TV interface. The 32" was required to fit the alcove it lives in. It was about £300 at the best discounted price I could find, a fair bit pricier than Samsung and LG's 32" offerings and (for shame) it isn't full HD, unlike the Samsung and LG and despite being a current model. But I haven't liked the interface on Samsung and LG so was willing to pay the £50-60 premium, and being 32" I didn't think I'd notice the 768 pixel vertical resolution in use. It has a built-in satellite tuner as well which is useful since there's an unused Sky dish connector.

Resolution isn't a problem at all, but what is slightly annoying is that the Sony Android TV interface isn't quite as snappy to use as on the bigger tvs. They weren't much more expensive either; I could get the 43" version for £349 now. I guess nobody buys the 'small' 32" models these days so they're not piled as high and sold as cheap as the larger screens. It's fine, it's perfectly usable but I anticipated it being really good and it's just OK. At least the remote looks like my other tvs' remotes (with the bizarre addition of a Disney+ button - who the fuck wants that? I always though dedicated Netflix buttons were pretty silly but I guess the content makes pay for the privilege). Oh, and I don't think the bezels are as small as the larger sets; it might just be an optical illusion because the screen is smaller but it doesn't look as sleek and modern.

So my top tip when buying a 32" tv is to try before you buy. I reckon a model from a few years ago might be a better bet, with a Chromecast with Google TV attached if you want the Android TV interface.
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

If it makes you feel any better I don't rate our 32" Samsung at all. In fact, I don't rate the Samsungs generally. My parents have one of the curved ones from a few years, with the same UI. And the place we stayed at last week in Suffolk had a 40+" Samsung - larger version of our 32. All of the same issues common to all 3 I've experieced. The UI is glitchy as hell - I mean genuinely awful most of the time, to the extent I just don't like using ours. And beyond that I don't even think the image is all that either.

I know our Sony is a step up, but the UI alone is so much nicer and, as you say, snappier.
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

I had a 32" LG for years which was great, just moved on to a bigger (50" I think) Samsung 4k screen last year. The screen is great but the smart tv stuff is horrible. Laggy as anything, you're as likely to hit the app/connected device either side of the one you want most of the time.
An absolute unit
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

I’ve never had a tv where the smart function wasn’t crap compared to just using a firestick and controlling it with my phone or I’ll just use the games console.
How about not having a sig at all?