New TV Tiime

simon_g

Re: New TV Tiime

Post by simon_g »

Jobbo wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 12:02 pmwith the bizarre addition of a Disney+ button - who the fuck wants that
My kids LOVE that they can press the Disney+ or Netflix button and the TV starts straight up on to that.

I'm meh about the LG interface and apps, forced myself to use them for a couple of weeks to give it a fair try but the Apple TV is getting plugged back in.
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

ZedLeg wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 3:47 pm you're as likely to hit the app/connected device either side of the one you want most of the time.
Good god this! :evil: I use ours as a 2nd screen most days, but the boy uses it in the morning for Netflix. Switching it back to HDMI never works first time as it either skips past it, or doesn't present it as an option quick enough.
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

My 32" Samsung from 2008 still works. Only use it as a screen for the Fire Stick and Humax box.

The weakest link is the Humax box. The UI is clumsy and slow, the apps slower still and rarely work well. It takes a long time to turn on and have a habit of turning off on any first button press after turning on. Definitely won't but another one. All the apps are served better on the Fire Stick and if the box goes, I'll try another brand (Manhattan supposedly make better boxes as long as you don't want apps).
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

Mito Man wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 3:52 pm I’ve never had a tv where the smart function wasn’t crap compared to just using a firestick and controlling it with my phone or I’ll just use the games console.
I previously did the same - just used the latest Chromecast and controlled from my phone. I’ve realised that you can use the Sony remotes to pause, play, ffwd etc anyway. The thing is, the Chromecast built-in functionality does the same thing and the tv seems to have a better processor and more memory than you get in the physical Chromecast so it’s the same but better. Can still use your phone to cast and control if that’s your preference.

The fact that my gen1 Chromecasts still work is a good sign the tv operating system won’t be unusably slow or unsupported in a few years too.
16vCento
Currently Driving: XFS Portfolio
V60 D3 SE
Xantia Activa

Post by 16vCento »

I did not want to be part of this thread, as my TV is only about 3 years old, and had one replacement screen already 18 months ago.

So a warning, don't buy Philips TVs unless you want a very expensive paperweight.

They're taking it for another new screen tomorrow, so I decided to buy a new TV, and relegate that one upstairs somewhere.

https://www.richersounds.com/lg-oled55c14lb.html

Has very good reviews, and I had a voucher to use at richer sounds so with express delivery it's only £859.

Looking forward to having a play tomorrow and seeing if it's better than what it's replacing.
Barry

Post by Barry »

I hope they put better wifi/network cards in them these days, as the one in my LG is a fking disgrace. Wifi failed after a year, so I resorted to Cat5 and every other day I get a massive drop down error banner warning me its disconnected, then reconnected seconds later. This will continue for some time until I lose my sh!t and turn the TV off and do something else.
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

I bought the 65" version of that last year (although to be honest, C14LB, B16LB - what's the difference??? ) but no issues with the WiFi . It's a great screen.

My only regret is getting rid of the box as it wouldn't fit up through the attic opening. I dread having to move it because the screen is wafer thin. If you can, keep the box
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
16vCento
V60 D3 SE
Xantia Activa

Post by 16vCento »

I shall pop the box in the garage, with everything else I've kept just in case :lol:
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

Aye, we were already planning a move when I bought our current TV so I kept the box. Made moving it much easier, don't know what I'll do for the next move. Maybe just smash it in advance to save the bother :lol:
An absolute unit
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

I’ve got an old mattress topper just for moving things like that. Wrap it like a burrito and it’s pretty indestructible.
How about not having a sig at all?
mik

Post by mik »

Don't panic @dinny_g : https://www.3ways-boxshop.co.uk/product ... 5528326300

I expect if you are using a decent removal company - they will also have a process/system too....
Ascender
Currently Driving: 2019 M2 Competition

Post by Ascender »

We also have the 65" version of that and it's great, although no issues with the network connection. I still can't believe how slow and laggy the UI is though - I curse it every time I have to use the channel guide.
Cheers,

Mike.
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

Moving your own stuff when moving house - fuck that. Moving companies aren't even that expensive and they're experienced and fully insured to move big expensive delicate stuff.
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

I kept the box for our Sony. It's currently taking up too much room in our shed and generally being a PITA. Think I'll make a specific shelf for TV boxes when I start kitting the garage out soon. :lol:
Jimexpl

Post by Jimexpl »

dinny_g wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 9:14 am
I bought the 65" version of that last year (although to be honest, C14LB, B16LB - what's the difference??? ) but no issues with the WiFi . It's a great screen.

My only regret is getting rid of the box as it wouldn't fit up through the attic opening. I dread having to move it because the screen is wafer thin. If you can, keep the box
I had fun with one of my engineers installing a 97" OLED last month...
Sony seem to be the most delicate - careless staff wreck at least two a year, whereas I've never had an LG broken.
For 99% of people, the difference in the B,C or G models is only noticeable in a bright room when watching HDR content.
Beany

Post by Beany »

Sigh, looks like my telly has stopped displaying at proper 60hz. It's a 1080i panel but it used to refresh at 60hz, feels more like 30 now, something fuckered with EDIDs and HDMI profiles I imagine. Ho hum.

What's half decent in the 40" range? Doesn't need to have any bells or whistles but I'm not buying a celcus/polaroid supermarket special if I don't have to.

OLED isn't a requirement - I won't get anything out of it, maybe later when they're a bit less overly pricey - but proper 1080p is obviously a requirement. Decent panel quality with a reasonable attempt at decent black levels would be nice, too - I know it'll never touch OLED but you know, if they're trying, etc.

Not terribly fussed by 4k, or high refresh rates but if it's an extra £50 I won't grumble. Fairly certain my laptop won't drive them anyway :lol:

Don't care about speakers because: A: TV speakers are all shit and B: I'm on ANC headphones 90% of the time anyway.

I'm guessing I should be able to get something pretty decent for well under £400, right?
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Like half that :lol:
How about not having a sig at all?
Beany

Post by Beany »

I'd guess a bit more for something with a half decent sony/samsung/LG panel, as opposed to something bargain basement.
16vCento
V60 D3 SE
Xantia Activa

Post by 16vCento »

Well, it's very good.

Somehow the pass-through Atmos sound to the amp seems clearer, I'm not sure how as it's digital, but there is certainly a difference.

Certainly clearer differential from upper and lower channels and it sounds deeper if that makes sense.

But the picture is the big change, its ace, even in sunlight.

And black, is BLACK.

Watched GOTG2 tonight and it was epic.
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

I spotted a 40” JVC in Currys for £199 when I was collecting a microwave - seems to get reasonable reviews. Worth a look @Beany .