New TV Tiime

Beany

Re: New TV Tiime

Post by Beany »

I've not watched actual broadcast truly in about ten years. Can I please have a 48" 4k monitor with no tuners or shit, just multiple HDMI/DP inputs?
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Just buy a TV and don't connect it to an aerial or internet. Next.
How about not having a sig at all?
scotta

Post by scotta »

Jimmy Choo wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 10:06 am LG don't have All4 if that makes a difference.
2021 LG models have the updated WebOS 6 software which includes All4. Ive just bought this one.

https://www.richersounds.com/lg-65nano756pa.html
scotta

Post by scotta »

scotta wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 3:13 pm
Jimmy Choo wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 10:06 am LG don't have All4 if that makes a difference.
2021 LG models have the updated WebOS 6 software which includes All4. Ive just bought this one.

UPDATE - Im now on my second set as the first one had horrendous light bleed round the edges. The replacement now has ghosting and light bleed. Ive spoken with richersounds and they have offered a replacement of my choice and have recommended an OLED.

I like the WEb OS 6 on the LG so im looking at this one - https://www.richersounds.com/lg-oled65a16la.html

Any collective thoughts or arguments for or against?
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

I can't help I'm afraid,

But I am very happy with the Sony. The UI is a bit all over the shop mind - it seems like there's about 6 ways to navigate to things!

Only other swine is that we have a crap feed to the coax socket. Basically, we have 3 aerials. 2 on the roof, feeding living room and back bedroom. And then one in the loft feeding a 4-way amp/splitter in the hall which then feeds all the other rooms. It's the previous owner's bodge job. We were struggling to get some channels in both kitchen snug and spare bedroom (e.g. BBC std channels but HD ok) so had a guy out today to look. Loft aerial replaced, and the spare bedroom TV improved hugely. No more glitching.

But not in the kitchen snug. He tested all sorts and the issue is with the cabling behind all the brand new built-in cabinets. Which won't come out without destroying them. Fucking awesome. :roll:

So we'll see how it goes and whether the new aerial improves it enough. Otherwise, the only way in is to drill straight through the back of the wall behind the socket, into the living room, chase out the plasterboard and run a new cable under the floor to the amp. And then a bit of redecoration.

Obviously it's all my fault as well.
scotta

Post by scotta »

Swervin_Mervin wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 3:34 pm I can't help I'm afraid,

But I am very happy with the Sony. The UI is a bit all over the shop mind - it seems like there's about 6 ways to navigate to things!

Only other swine is that we have a crap feed to the coax socket. Basically, we have 3 aerials. 2 on the roof, feeding living room and back bedroom. And then one in the loft feeding a 4-way amp/splitter in the hall which then feeds all the other rooms. It's the previous owner's bodge job. We were struggling to get some channels in both kitchen snug and spare bedroom (e.g. BBC std channels but HD ok) so had a guy out today to look. Loft aerial replaced, and the spare bedroom TV improved hugely. No more glitching.

But not in the kitchen snug. He tested all sorts and the issue is with the cabling behind all the brand new built-in cabinets. Which won't come out without destroying them. Fucking awesome. :roll:

So we'll see how it goes and whether the new aerial improves it enough. Otherwise, the only way in is to drill straight through the back of the wall behind the socket, into the living room, chase out the plasterboard and run a new cable under the floor to the amp. And then a bit of redecoration.

Obviously it's all my fault as well.
Tuner is not a concern as we have sky Q. None of our TV's are connected to an aerial.

Web OS6 has a Tidal app that does Dolby Atmos encoded tracks. These sound great through my surround setup (@mik can attest to the sound) so i dont want to loose that feature.
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

scotta wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 2:36 pm Any collective thoughts or arguments for or against?
That's a LG OLED65A16LA - I've been looking at a LG OLED65B16LA for £250 more.

What's the bloody difference ??

I hate buying TV's which is why I rarely do it...
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
scotta

Post by scotta »

dinny_g wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 3:43 pm
scotta wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 2:36 pm Any collective thoughts or arguments for or against?
That's a LG OLED65A16LA - I've been looking at a LG OLED65B16LA for £250 more.

What's the bloody difference ??

I hate buying TV's which is why I rarely do it...
from what i can see the B has an extra HDMI port and a higherpanel frequency

Panel Frequency A -50Hz
B-40Hz - 120Hz
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

I’m not sure I need 3 ports but I’ve no idea what the frequency means in practice :?
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

Higher frequency means that the pictures come out of the telly quicker, so will reach your eyes faster. It is science!
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

:lol:

But seriously, would higher panel frequency be an advantage for sports - less "trail" behind players when watching football for example ?

Or is that something different ?
Brannen

Post by Brannen »

I've been looking at the higher refresh rate TVs a little, mainly as the new Xbox Series X can have some games run at 120 fps. I think for normal TV, I doubt you'd see any real difference in the higher refresh rates but not looked in to that in any real depth. A quick google suggests broadcasts are between 30-60hz. I'd guess a 120hz TV could handle the sport stuff better but probably depends on what it's broadcast in and if the panel adjusts to match the refresh rate..?
scotta

Post by scotta »

scotta wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 2:36 pm
scotta wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 3:13 pm

UPDATE - Im now on my second set as the first one had horrendous light bleed round the edges. The replacement now has ghosting and light bleed. Ive spoken with richersounds and they have offered a replacement of my choice and have recommended an OLED.

I like the WEb OS 6 on the LG so im looking at this one - https://www.richersounds.com/lg-oled65a16la.html

Any collective thoughts or arguments for or against?
I have ordered said TV.
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

Anyone know anything or have experience of This Sony Acoustic Surface technology - the Screen is the speakers.

I had pretty much decided to get an 65" LG OLED65B16LA with Sound Bar and Sub but now a mate's put doubts in my mind. His living room is very different than mine - he sits about 10 feet away and directly in front whereas I''ll be at least twice that.
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

You sit 20ft away from your telly? Do you use opera glasses?
An absolute unit
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

dinny_g wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 11:23 am Anyone know anything or have experience of This Sony Acoustic Surface technology - the Screen is the speakers.

I had pretty much decided to get an 65" LG OLED65B16LA with Sound Bar and Sub but now a mate's put doubts in my mind. His living room is very different than mine - he sits about 10 feet away and directly in front whereas I''ll be at least twice that.
Ours has that tech. I can't say as I've noticed much difference. That said, I haven't played around too much with the setting yet, beyond when I first set it up.

It was a selling point for us as we struggle with some movies to hear the dialogue so we thought this would be a better approach than the soundbar route.
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

ZedLeg wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 12:04 pm You sit 20ft away from your telly? Do you use opera glasses?
:lol:

It's an odd room in that down one of the long walls, you have a big Bay Window and down the other, double french doors into the room. I tried to get the other half to agree splitting the room in half with our 3 and 2 seater sofa's in one 'half' to create a square with the TV and then the space at the other side with arm chairs etc to sit, read etc.

But I lost - so the 3 seater is against the back wall - hence 65" TV..
scotta

Post by scotta »

dinny_g wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 11:23 am Anyone know anything or have experience of This Sony Acoustic Surface technology - the Screen is the speakers.

Buy the LG - Its fucking great. Buy a sonos to go with it if you want a soundbar.
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

Will do Scotta...

Does the Sonas Beam have / need a sub ???
scotta

Post by scotta »

dinny_g wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 2:52 pm Will do Scotta...

Does the Sonas Beam have / need a sub ???
Ive never heard the beam but my 5 sounds great without a sub. Go listen would be my advice.