Apple watch

Simon

Apple watch

Post by Simon »

Mrs birthday is next week and in typical fashion is leaving it to the last minute to say what she wants.

I had suggested an Apple watch as she's phone/iPad etc and she's not averse to the idea. However, I've no idea about them being an Android person. Looking at the site (and not wanting to spend so much) it looks like the SE is a much better idea that the series 3. Any real advantage in a Series 6 other than the always on display? Indeed, does that actually wear the battery out faster etc?

Any other pitfalls in tech of finishes I should be aware of?
The artist formerly known as _Who_
Mito Man

Re: Apple watch

Post by Mito Man »

I’m still on a series 1 and was surprised by how similar it still was to the series 6 when I had a play with one - decided to not bother changing. They just seem to have more health sensors if you’re into that.

If you buy the latest series watch you can pay more you get the sapphire display so it won’t scratch which is quite useful on a watch where the glass protrudes past the bezels.
How about not having a sig at all?
dan

Post by dan »

Mito Man wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 12:56 pm I’m still on a series 1 and was surprised by how similar it still was to the series 6 when I had a play with one - decided to not bother changing. They just seem to have more health sensors if you’re into that.

If you buy the latest series watch you can pay more you get the sapphire display so it won’t scratch which is quite useful on a watch where the glass protrudes past the bezels.
Sapphire crystals have been on them since 3 at least, I had a 3 and passed it on to my mrs, now on a 5 thats almost a couple of years old that I wear all day every day and still doesn't have a scratch, impressive as I have my hands in engine bays all day long.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

My series 1 is sapphire and still looks brand new. I’m saying that you have to buy the latest flagship model for it though as Apple discontinue the sapphire versions on the previous edition. You can buy a series 3 now, but only with regular glass.
dan

Post by dan »

Ah I see. You learn something new every day.
Simon

Post by Simon »

Went into an istore today in Crawley. Think she's sold on the 44 with sapphire glass. Will likely try and pick up a series 5 from Apple refurb store as little point in getting a 6 really.
simon_g

Post by simon_g »

Always on is really nice - can quickly glance to check time without needing to make a deliberate movement to wake it. It does clever things to screen refresh and dims the backlight so it hardly uses any other power. Haven’t noticed a big battery hit.

Anything series 3 onwards is fine speed-wise.
Simon

Post by Simon »

Picked up a new 44 SE from Brighton's Apple store today.

What's everyone doing to interact with WhatsApp on the watch, considering there's no official app?
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

You don’t need an app for it, it just works as normal by piggybacking off the phone.
Simon

Post by Simon »

But what does that mean? You can't access messages without an app of some sort right? Or am I missing a trick.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

When someone sends you something it pops up as normal and you can do the usual replies - although replying on a watch is an awful experience. You can't look at old messages or write a new message though. You can only respond.
Simon

Post by Simon »

Got it. Thx. Shame you can't do WhatsApp audio calls natively as that's what she does so much of with family...
Simon

Post by Simon »

Does anyone else find the 'bulge' from the sensor array on the back uncomfortable after a while? I don't know why it's so deep - the one in my fitbit is tiny in comparison (Apple Watch SE, so no ECG etc).

If she doesn't get used to it then it's going back next weekend.
Ascender
Currently Driving: 2019 M2 Competition

Post by Ascender »

Simon wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 9:44 pm Does anyone else find the 'bulge' from the sensor array on the back uncomfortable after a while? I don't know why it's so deep - the one in my fitbit is tiny in comparison (Apple Watch SE, so no ECG etc).

If she doesn't get used to it then it's going back next weekend.
I genuinely don’t notice it although I’ve been wearing them for years. Is the strap too tight maybe?
Cheers,

Mike.
Simon

Post by Simon »

Hi Mike

Nope, been down that road, and was my first thought too. She's loosened the strap so it's moving around on the wrist easily, but still is sore after a few hours of use.

I'm even going so far as to see if next month's Watch series 7 reveal will include a new SE model as well to see if that improves things.
Brannen

Post by Brannen »

I've worn one for just over a year now (series 5), never noticed the sensors on the back to be honest.

It does wind me up when it doesn't recognise movement though. I could go up and down 2 flights of stairs and it doesn't register that and tells me to stand up at 10 to the hour.