Apple HomePod Mini

Mito Man

Apple HomePod Mini

Post by Mito Man »

I've kinda been forced into buying one of these as Homekit enabled accessories can only be controlled by having your phone connected to your home wifi otherwise. With a HomePod or Apple TV you can control them with 4G or any other wifi network. It seems to be a security feature but the cynic in me thinks it's just Apple's way of making you spend some more money but I'm pleasantly surprised with this. Found it for £80 on AO and it's a decent little speaker. It's surprisingly loud for something the size of a grapefruit but it consequently has no bass at all.

I just need to buy the rest of the kit now so that one day I can open my door with my phone, then Siri can automatically turn on the lights, up the heating, put some jazz on, close the curtains a little and pre-heat the electronic toilet seat. :lol:
How about not having a sig at all?
jamcg

Re: Apple HomePod Mini

Post by jamcg »

Mito Man wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 9:41 pm I've kinda been forced into buying one of these as Homekit enabled accessories can only be controlled by having your phone connected to your home wifi otherwise. With a HomePod or Apple TV you can control them with 4G or any other wifi network. It seems to be a security feature but the cynic in me thinks it's just Apple's way of making you spend some more money but I'm pleasantly surprised with this. Found it for £80 on AO and it's a decent little speaker. It's surprisingly loud for something the size of a grapefruit but it consequently has no bass at all.

I just need to buy the rest of the kit now so that one day I can open my door with my phone, then Siri can automatically turn on the lights, up the heating, put some jazz on, close the curtains a little and pre-heat the lube dispenser. :lol:
Ftfy
Ascender
Currently Driving: 2019 M2 Competition

Re: Apple HomePod Mini

Post by Ascender »

They're pretty good, especially as a pair. My wife accidentally set the Apple TV to use them for output in the living room and has left them on - there's one next to her and one by the other sofa - utterly destroys any semblance of stereo sound but she's happy, so that's the main thing.

I do wonder if they'll come up with some way to do Dobly on multiple of them as a cheap way in to surround sound for people. The larger ones support Atmos as it is.
Cheers,

Mike.